Author Topic: Resculpt wish list  (Read 6581 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Resculpt wish list
« Reply #30 on: 05 April 2017, 09:22:21 »
You are going to be in for a real treat in the second quarter....

Hmmm Curious as to what this will mean!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 05 April 2017, 09:30:28 »
I just can't, for the life of me, consider the blood kite a good looking mech ;) though I'll put it on my radar for sure.

As for the pulverizer, given it is such a niche mech, I wouldn't expect anything any time soon, but hey, who knows what the future holds...

I will yield that point on the Pulverizer… for now… but yes the Blood Kite is hideous! I mean  I assume its named after the Bird  but here are some better picts of it:

Despite it being both undersized and FUGLY the Blood Kite routinely ranks high in the “ best mech in game” polls that pop up. I know I know the Kite is basically a niche mech for a niche faction BUT that faction has a passionate  fan based. And per new fluff the Kite is being produced by the newest Clan Faction the Stone Lions. Now don’t they deserve a shiny new sculpt? I  believe that  a decent new sculpt would yield ROI I know I would purchase more than one.

With regards to its hideous appearance which is based on the existing art work, what is the process there? does new art need to be commissioned as well?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #32 on: 05 April 2017, 10:36:02 »
I hadn't been aware the Stone Lions were producing the Kite. Interesting- is there a page reference for that? I figured it was an extinct design post-Reaving.

The old sculpt was based on the artwork in Field Manual: Crusader Clans, and suffered the same fate as its page-mate the Hellfire- they just didn't translate to metal all that well. Both had greatly improved artwork in TRO:3067, and  it's a pity that neither have had a resculpt prior to now to rectify that problem. The Hellfire isn't particularly popular, so I wouldn't expect it to get worked on (or to sell well if it did), but the Kite... yeah, a big, beefy mini based on that Plog art would be pretty nice to see.

Trivia's sake: the Blood Kite is the only Mech from that book not to get a new variant in the recent unabridged record sheet volume. Everything else got at least one- no idea how the Kite missed out. In fact, I'd have to check to be sure, but it may be the only Mech from that era ('50, '55, '58, '60, '67) to not get a Jihad/WoR-era upgrade.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 05 April 2017, 10:56:45 »
Hellbie; The latest sculpt Lupus is fantastic, and the Hellfire was the basis for the design. Should be able to mod one very easily if need be to whatever config you like. Shame it's only an online exclusive... http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8797

I love the original Bloodkite miniature. It's just small. I'd enjoy a re-sculpt. Especially if it's being produced by the Lions. Looking forward to more info, if available. It's one of those that's so ugly it's beautiful. ETA: and exceptionally fun to play. 
« Last Edit: 05 April 2017, 11:00:53 by IAMCLANWOLF »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 05 April 2017, 12:40:37 »
I hadn't been aware the Stone Lions were producing the Kite. Interesting- is there a page reference for that? I figured it was an extinct design post-Reaving.

The old sculpt was based on the artwork in Field Manual: Crusader Clans, and suffered the same fate as its page-mate the Hellfire- they just didn't translate to metal all that well. Both had greatly improved artwork in TRO:3067, and  it's a pity that neither have had a resculpt prior to now to rectify that problem. The Hellfire isn't particularly popular, so I wouldn't expect it to get worked on (or to sell well if it did), but the Kite... yeah, a big, beefy mini based on that Plog art would be pretty nice to see.

Trivia's sake: the Blood Kite is the only Mech from that book not to get a new variant in the recent unabridged record sheet volume. Everything else got at least one- no idea how the Kite missed out. In fact, I'd have to check to be sure, but it may be the only Mech from that era ('50, '55, '58, '60, '67) to not get a Jihad/WoR-era upgrade.

Clearly the people are crying out for the re-sculpt!!! Lets make it happen - who is ready to chip in some $$$

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 05 April 2017, 15:09:00 »
Also lets not forget the Kingfisher  O0

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 05 April 2017, 16:54:11 »
I'll allow that the current Blood Kite isn't all that great to look at, but looking at the 3067 art...you want that thing instead? It's like some sort of super-deformed anime tank. It looks like it should be firing improbable numbers of missiles at an androgynous, moody teen piloting a robot fighter plane, while never actually hitting it!

And the Kingfisher: While I would like a new mini, I think it would really need new art first. It's problem isn't so much that it doesn't look like the pictures...but that it does.

Finally, whats wrong with the Nova Cat? Seriously, what part of it looks off to you?

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #37 on: 05 April 2017, 17:21:51 »
The head, legs, and parts of the torso. Sit both the WK and IWM versions side by side. WK did a fantastic job with that one.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 05 April 2017, 17:34:17 »
I'll allow that the current Blood Kite isn't all that great to look at, but looking at the 3067 art...you want that thing instead? It's like some sort of super-deformed anime tank. It looks like it should be firing improbable numbers of missiles at an androgynous, moody teen piloting a robot fighter plane, while never actually hitting it!

And the Kingfisher: While I would like a new mini, I think it would really need new art first. It's problem isn't so much that it doesn't look like the pictures...but that it does.

And that's the rub right? So I assume we need new official art as a first step? Or can it be fan art?

Finally, whats wrong with the Nova Cat? Seriously, what part of it looks off to you?

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 06 April 2017, 15:21:58 »
It would need to be official art.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen the WK Nova Cat. I'll have to dig up a picture.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #40 on: 06 April 2017, 17:11:52 »

The existing IWM Nova Cat ain't bad, but yes, some detailed weapons are a great improvement. I confess I put spacer under the torso to bring the height up, and think that worked pretty well

Stinger, if you feel it's appropriate, is reworking existing minis a viable option, or is it simpler/less messy to just start from scratch? Because there are sculpts which (IMHO anyway) could be fixed, which would seem to involve less work than a total resculpt. For example, the Blood Kite - if you replaced the upper arm & thighs with longer, thicker versions, and replaced/modded the head (basically throw away the lower half), you do get (again, IMHO) something far more like the art, and more proportional to other assault minis.

(And apologies for photobombing the thread.)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 06 April 2017, 17:37:31 »
Works for me work troll! Great idea hopefully that's doable

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #42 on: 06 April 2017, 19:20:13 »
1st, new mechs should always come first.

That said, the Pillager never looked as intimidating as it did in the art. Though it's never been as popular as the Highlander or Atlas so it's a long shot.

The Nova Cat and Cougar are far from bad but have always been in the shadow of their 3D game model counterpart.

« Last Edit: 07 April 2017, 01:55:39 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 06 April 2017, 19:48:30 »
So we have a lot of passion on this thread where should we direct it? Do we throw in our weight at the next fan financing cycle? Or is their avenue we should persue first?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 06 April 2017, 20:40:37 »
1st, new mechs should always come first.

That said, the Pillager never looked as intimidating as it did in the art. Though it's never been as popular as the Highlander or Atlas so it's a long shot.

FIrst comment - not entirely in agreement. I'd rather see more widely used & available rescupts - like the Blood Kite, or Gunslinger - get face time over something like the Bellerephon. There should be a balance, in favour of new 'Mechs, but not always. 80/20 would work.

(Second comment, saw the Pillager in half at the waist, insert a 3/16" washer, reglue. It's literally all it needs. Can show pics if interested, but don't want to hijack completely. Yes, I'd like a more mobile leg pose, but ...

Which is why I'd be interested to know if reworks of existing masters represent a possible lower-cost option.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: 06 April 2017, 22:07:35 »
Stinger, if you feel it's appropriate, is reworking existing minis a viable option, or is it simpler/less messy to just start from scratch? Because there are sculpts which (IMHO anyway) could be fixed, which would seem to involve less work than a total resculpt. For example, the Blood Kite - if you replaced the upper arm & thighs with longer, thicker versions, and replaced/modded the head (basically throw away the lower half), you do get (again, IMHO) something far more like the art, and more proportional to other assault minis.

If I may weigh in here; we have ample evidence that reworking an existing mini can be done. Wolfhound, Barghest, Grasshopper, Doloire, Lament, Mad Cat mkII, Mortis, No Dachi, and Shiro are some examples. The decision on what constitutes a viable option? No clue. There's a mix of matching art for a new variant (Wolfhound, Grasshopper), and what sounds like it would be cool (Lament, Mad Cat mkII). I think you're looking at what would boil down to a 3 stage process. 1) Convince Mike & co. that a given resculpt/modification is a strong enough idea to pursue. 2) Getting funds together for whatever the cost of the project is. 3) Trusting that the QC group and sculptor see things the way you do, and are able to deliver a product that matches your expectations. You as potential funders of this type of project can control #2, but have no guarantees on #'s 1 or 3.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 06 April 2017, 22:48:40 »
Are there also IP issues - eg. sculptor X did the Blood Kite, but he/she's moved on and no longer contactable; sculptor Y changes 20% of the original sculpt; who gets the royalties? Or do the sculptors work on a "per piece" basis, and sign over the IP to IWM (like freelancers)?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 06 April 2017, 23:47:53 »
FIrst comment - not entirely in agreement. I'd rather see more widely used & available rescupts - like the Blood Kite, or Gunslinger - get face time over something like the Bellerephon. There should be a balance, in favour of new 'Mechs, but not always. 80/20 would work.

(Second comment, saw the Pillager in half at the waist, insert a 3/16" washer, reglue. It's literally all it needs. Can show pics if interested, but don't want to hijack completely. Yes, I'd like a more mobile leg pose, but ...

Which is why I'd be interested to know if reworks of existing masters represent a possible lower-cost option.

W.
I agree on the first point and literally just bought a pillager! Please Dm the info you mentioned on the mod or direct me to where I can see picts

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 06 April 2017, 23:49:50 »
If I may weigh in here; we have ample evidence that reworking an existing mini can be done. Wolfhound, Barghest, Grasshopper, Doloire, Lament, Mad Cat mkII, Mortis, No Dachi, and Shiro are some examples. The decision on what constitutes a viable option? No clue. There's a mix of matching art for a new variant (Wolfhound, Grasshopper), and what sounds like it would be cool (Lament, Mad Cat mkII). I think you're looking at what would boil down to a 3 stage process. 1) Convince Mike & co. that a given resculpt/modification is a strong enough idea to pursue. 2) Getting funds together for whatever the cost of the project is. 3) Trusting that the QC group and sculptor see things the way you do, and are able to deliver a product that matches your expectations. You as potential funders of this type of project can control #2, but have no guarantees on #'s 1 or 3.

I am game and ready to invest some dollars

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 06 April 2017, 23:52:05 »
PM about to be sent, SJ!

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #50 on: 07 April 2017, 06:03:56 »
So we have a lot of passion on this thread where should we direct it? Do we throw in our weight at the next fan financing cycle? Or is their avenue we should persue first?

The next fan finance cycle seems the most appropriate. However it might not start again for another six months or more. 

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: 07 April 2017, 07:42:31 »
Are there also IP issues - eg. sculptor X did the Blood Kite, but he/she's moved on and no longer contactable; sculptor Y changes 20% of the original sculpt; who gets the royalties? Or do the sculptors work on a "per piece" basis, and sign over the IP to IWM (like freelancers)?

At the current time, payment is typically per piece.

The next fan finance cycle seems the most appropriate. However it might not start again for another six months or more. 

You'd have to talk to Speck. If you have a project in mind, and are willing to fully fund it, it may be possible to get started sooner. Again, I'm offering no guarantees on that, but you don't know if you don't ask.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #52 on: 07 April 2017, 08:48:50 »
I hear if we resculpt the Atlas one more time we can get our cards punched and earn a free sandwich.  ;D

Nah, I'd be happy with a couple of recent releases getting some minor tweaks. The Shadow Cat II was mentioned earlier, and I'd say the same for the Bruin- both are great minis from the waist up, and have legs that could use some beefing up, for sure.

(What I really want is a Kalki... I love the smell of Scud launches in the morning.)

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 07 April 2017, 08:57:44 »
Thanks for explaining that and for the work you put in! So any chance I will see that new bloodkite?.....
I would also like to add a pulverizer which looks like this: http://camospecs.com/Article/Details/19/custom-mech-ipulverizeri-build

It would be cool to see a production Pulverizer, but, in my personal opinion, the problem with the Bloodkite is the artwork it's based on, not the sculpt.

To each their own, I suppose.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #54 on: 07 April 2017, 09:32:38 »
Er... isn't the Pulverizer already out? I mean, I own one, and I know I didn't kitbash it.

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=5814

+Crow T. Robot+

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 07 April 2017, 10:07:38 »
Yes it is out Jadehelbringer and while I certainly don't hate it - the sculpt that Pyscho did is much beefier and cooler looking IMO

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 07 April 2017, 10:08:55 »
So to recap I am ready and willing to start putting some $$ towards a Bloodkite and or Kingfisher mod or resculpt. If fan financing new art work is the first step I am willing to consider that as well 

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #57 on: 07 April 2017, 11:24:15 »
So to recap I am ready and willing to start putting some $$ towards a Bloodkite and or Kingfisher mod or resculpt. If fan financing new art work is the first step I am willing to consider that as well
Well you need to get a new orthos made, based upon details from various existing artwork. Go deep into the details and others that you trust give their opinions.

I suggest looking at the discussion of the Highlander and Flashman resculpts, this should give you an idea on how deep it will go.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 07 April 2017, 12:46:46 »
Well you need to get a new orthos made, based upon details from various existing artwork. Go deep into the details and others that you trust give their opinions.

I suggest looking at the discussion of the Highlander and Flashman resculpts, this should give you an idea on how deep it will go.

I'm not actually sure the Orthos are required anymore. I think that was just how B3 worked. I think most of the current sculptors use 3D modeling software instead of physical sculpting. That would probably be up to the Sculptor if they need/want Orthos or not.

I think your next step is really to contact Speck, and see what IWM would be willing to accommodate. They have been in charge of the fan funding process so far, and I'm not sure how much additional work they can accommodate outside of that framework. I'm not saying the definitely wont, but you will need to coordinate anything you would like to try to do with Speck to make sure their availability matches up with your level of enthusiasm!

Just realize that, there is time involved in several different steps for a fan-funded mini: organizing all the funders, the initial design/feedback to get a model created, managing credits for funders, the QC process on the protoype model, getting time in the mold room for production, and then adding it to the catalog and packaging/storing it. At best, you could take care of organizing funding and getting an initial 3D model without having to ask IWM to commit time and effort. The rest of the steps IWM has to contribute time to make them happen. I'm not at all trying to discourage you. Just trying to set expectations.

If you do PM him on the board or email IWM, I would suggest presenting them with a plan rather than asking them what to do. It is likely more work if you say, "I want to get the Kingfisher resculpted, what do I need to do?", than if you tell them what you want to bring to the table (a prototype 3D model you/we had input on, and money), and what you are asking them for (QC it and release it as an official BT mini, I assume.) They are a business, and if you make them a good enough offer, I'd bet they will be interested.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2017, 12:50:43 by sadlerbw »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 07 April 2017, 13:29:28 »
Great advice  sadlerbw - I shall rally the troops and hope to present a solid plan rather than my hopes and dreams first!

Register