Author Topic: Iron Painter 2011contest - rules & questions thread  (Read 9821 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Iron Painter 2011contest - rules & questions thread
« on: 12 June 2011, 16:36:49 »
Okay folks, welcome to Iron Painter 2011 for the BT forums. This is a painting contest open to any BT forum members. 

Rules of the competition:

1) Entry is free - anyone is able to submit should they want to, regardless of their actual skill.

2) Only legit IWM/Fasa or CGL Plastic/RP/RPE minis. No illegal repros, complete scratchbuilds, no N-scales, no minis from other lines. Conversions to canon variants or omni configs allowed. MW:DA minis may [/u]not[/u] be used as the base figure.

3) No Unseen.

4) One mini only - 'Mech, vehicle, ASF, constructionmech, proto, BA, infantry fig, support vehicle - capable of fitting on a standard hexbase. Larger SVs would be disqualified by rule 2.

5) No restriction on paintscheme - whatever you want, as long as it doesn't break any rules.

6) While harder to enforce, the aim is to submit a new mini, not one you did some time ago. Please respect this.

7) One entry per user.

Submitting Entries

1) Entries will be accepted between June 13th 2011 and August 1st 2011 EST.

2) Each entry must consist of one (1) image showing one (1) view of a single mini as per the rules. Image to be in a reasonably standard image format (if Irfanview can't grok it, I'll let you know). No composite images (eg. a single image showing three views of the min).

3) Images to be sent to worktroll at gmail.com (replacing the spaces & "at" with @) with the subject "Iron Painter 2011". The mail must contain:
* the entrant's forum name
* Name and variant of the 'Mech depicted (eg. Hunchback HBK-3P, Preta Infernus, Mad Dog H)
* If the paintjob is based on a canon scheme, please name it (eg. Kell Hounds, 7th Sword of Light, 15th Marik Militia)
* nominate the preferred division (see below) the mini to be entered in.

4) The judges reserve the right to crop and/or resize images for ease of storage, ease of viewing, and to maintain consistency in presentation.

Judging

There will be two divisions: Graded, and Open.

1) Entries for the Graded division are not to be heavily customised or reposed. As an arbitrary number, if more than 10%-15% of the 'Mech has been modified or reposed, it'll be moved to the Open category. Neither should entries for this division have exotic or complex basing. It's a painting competition, not a basing/reposing/scratchbuilding contest.

If there are enough entries in this division, they will be grouped into 2-3 skill categories, and a winner proclaimed in each. (Eg. we get 6 entries, begginner/vet; 26 entries, then green/reg/vet)

2) Entries in the Open division must contain a minimum of 25% of an original mini meeting the rules outlined above (sorry, no complete scratchbuild). Customising, reposing & basing are at the entrant's choice - again though subject to the master rules. This will not be a diorama contest.

3) The judges will decide into which group in the Graded division minis will be placed. In the event there are questions about whether a mini entered in the Graded division belongs in the Open division, the judges reserve the right to communicate with the entrant or not.

A poll thread will be started for each Graded division group, and for the Open division, on 4 August 2011. The poll will be open for forum members to vote on until 8th August 2011. The winner in each section will be decided by popular vote.

And formally:

1) The judge's decisions will be final.

2) Don't come here to diss other entries. Saying "the panel lines on the right leg were fuzzy" is one thing, saying "That crap left leg made the whole think look like a piece of ****" is another. The judges reserve the right to eject poor sportspersons.

3) It's a painting contest, not a basing contest, diorama contest, or exotically detailed light-box contest. Choose your backgrounds to complement and highlight your mini, thanks.

4) The only prizes are "the people's ovation and fame forever". (However, any potential sponsors, you know where to find me.)

Questions & answers:

Q: Why no theme?
A: Later, there may be themes. The idea now is to maximise the number of people involved.

Q: Where's the time limit? "Iron X" usually means a hard time limit.
A: Not here. These are the BT forums, and this is the way we swing here.

Q: Does "capable of fitting on a standard hexbase" mean it has to be on a standard hexbase?
A: No, this means it shouldn't be, in game terms, a multi-hex mini. "Capable of" means "you could if needed". So the grossly out-scale second sculpt Blood Asp, or the quads that spread over more than one map hex, are all legitemate entries.

« Last Edit: 19 June 2011, 04:27:42 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Re: Iron Painter 2011contest - rules & questions thread
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2011, 16:38:30 »
Okay folks, this is the Rules and Q&A thread.

1) Do not post submissions here! Or anywhere else until the contest is over!
2) There is no Rule 2
3) Otherwise, ask away.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

wasp

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2011, 19:54:00 »
What about warships or the Aerospace scale small dropships?

Wasp

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2011, 03:35:15 »
Completely acceptable.

W.  :)

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2011, 07:53:07 »
How about Armorcraft Cinematics, or custom-sculpted effects ?
-James Degenhardt

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2011, 17:26:04 »
They'll be considered as customisations, and are likely to tip the entry into the Open division. As stated, this is a mini painting contest, not a diorama contest, basing contest, scratchbuilding contest etc - the emphasis should be on the mini, not the additional enhancements.

W.

Saatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2011, 19:20:11 »
Is weathering or damage considered a modification?

(I'm only mildly considering this as an outside possibility, so no big deal either way).

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2011, 19:51:13 »
Weathering & damage will be counted as customisation, and may result in the submission being moved to Open.

Note: if you were planning to submit to Open, then these are all good options. The guideline is - remember it's a painting contest.

W.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2011, 05:25:53 »
Thanks for doing this :) I hope I can squeeze in the time necessary to be part of this.

Let's talk about basing ... it has been (rightfully) stressed that this is not a diorama contest and that - in general - it is not about basing. It is a painting contest after all. But if I understand it correctly the miniature does not have to be mounted on a hex base. This of course opens many possibilities especially for painters like me who don't care about hex bases anyway (I usually don't play). But ... when is a base considered to be to exotic? elaborate? big?
Take this Flashfire for example. The diameter of the base is 35mm. It doesn't really offer more in terms of real estate than a hex base. I also don't consider it very elaborate or exotic. How would you rate this base?
Is there a too big? Let's assume I chose a 30mmx30mm square plinth as a base. Or 40x40. Is this acceptable?

I also would like to talk about this rule:
4) The judges reserve the right to crop and/or resize images for ease of storage, ease of viewing, and to maintain consistency in presentation.
I can see why you have this rule, but to be honest I don't really like it. Since this is a painting competition and it is online it is really all about seeing the quality of the miniature to judge it. I would like to avoid a field where every picture is resized to incredible small sizes only to maintain consistency.
How about outlying some parameters? Like "pictures should at least be 500x500px, but no larger than 1000x1000px".
A question to everybody: What size should a picture be so you can appreciate the miniature and the paintjob?

(Edit: worktroll, if you need help hosting the pictures ones the contest runs just drop me a line. I can probably help.)
« Last Edit: 14 June 2011, 05:28:14 by GunjiNoKanrei »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2011, 05:52:04 »
Okay, in order:

1) That base would be fine ... except it has more than one figure on it. Yes, I know the second one's a BA of some form, but it then becomes the thin edge of the wedge. So minus additional figures - which starts to move into diorama territory - the Flashfire would be fine.

2) Re resolution - my main aim there was to keep the images viewable on one "screenful", and to help people on not-so-hot bandwidth. Here are two test images (forget the resolution, I'm just testing size): please anyone let me know whether the second is too big, otherwise we'll say all images should be between 500x500 points and 800x800 points (yes, 500x800 and 800x500 will be fine).

W.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
  • When in doubt throw more metal at it
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2011, 06:24:57 »
What about the picture in picture stuff? I have some great work on my figure that I would like to showcase, but how the figure is posed it would be hard to show that off to its full effect, what would you suggest?
One score and seven years ago, our FASAs brought forth upon this world a new hobby: conceived in giant stompiness, and dedicated to the proposition that all miniatures are created equal (except in scale).
-Worktroll

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2011, 09:52:03 »
Thanks for your answers.
1) That base would be fine ... except it has more than one figure on it. Yes, I know the second one's a BA of some form, but it then becomes the thin edge of the wedge. So minus additional figures - which starts to move into diorama territory - the Flashfire would be fine.
About this ... at first I thought the BA was dq'ed because it was not IWM/RPE. Then I re-read rule 4. This means no infantry trooper on the base for scale reference? How about a MechWarrior standing on his/her machine? A no-go I assume :( Back to the drawing board then ...

About the pictures you posted - both are ok from my point of view.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2011, 14:03:35 »
Would the original Battlemaster/Thunderbolt be allowed since they are technically reseen now or for purposes of this competition are they out?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2011, 17:13:18 »
Provided it's a legitemate FASA mini, and not an illegal reproduction, either would be welcome.

W.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2011, 10:25:16 »
WT,  have you announced a kick-off date yet?

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2011, 10:31:42 »
WT,  have you announced a kick-off date yet?

From first post:
-James Degenhardt

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #16 on: 17 June 2011, 10:33:46 »
From first post:

Whoops.  Doh!

Thanks man!

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 17 June 2011, 16:41:51 »
Submitting Entries

(As it appears above in the original post)

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
« Reply #18 on: 17 June 2011, 17:23:41 »
I'd love to enter also, but I'm currently in the depths of GenCon minis for the CSO table. Hopefully, I'll have enough time left over for an extra mini!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 17 June 2011, 18:49:55 »
That's OK, just submit one of the CSO ones.

(That way I'll know what at least one of the dioramas has ... muhahahahaha!)

W.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 19 June 2011, 05:17:34 »
One small rules update, one reminder:

1) I've added a requirement to the submission section. As well as your forum name, and judging level, can you please also add:

* Name and variant of the 'Mech depicted (eg. Hunchback HBK-3P, Preta Infernus, Mad Dog H)
* If the paintjob is based on a canon scheme, please name it (eg. Kell Hounds, 7th Sword of Light, 15th Marik Militia), or if it's not.

I've amended the Rules post, and emailed back the people who've submitted so far to get that information.

2) Remember, you're all allowed two entries - one in the Graded, and one in the Open. If your submission to the Graded is sufficiently exotic - too heavily modified, or whatever - I'll contact you and we'll resolve any issues.

Thanks,

W.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 19 June 2011, 08:17:41 »
Hey Worktroll, did you read my question?
One score and seven years ago, our FASAs brought forth upon this world a new hobby: conceived in giant stompiness, and dedicated to the proposition that all miniatures are created equal (except in scale).
-Worktroll

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 19 June 2011, 21:28:59 »
Hey Worktroll, did you read my question?

If it was dates, then it's in the first post - eg. iopen now, until 3rd August 2011. Sorry for not responding specifically.

W.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2011, 00:36:35 »
If it was dates, then it's in the first post - eg. iopen now, until 3rd August 2011. Sorry for not responding specifically.

W.

What about the picture in picture stuff? I have some great work on my figure that I would like to showcase,
but how the figure is posed it would be hard to show that off to its full effect, what would you suggest?
-Worktroll

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2011, 02:06:40 »
Okay, sorry. Basically: no. While photography (and basing and modding and ... ) are important skills, it's a painting contest. One picture is what everyone gets.

Once the contest is over, you're of course free to post what you want.

W.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2011, 02:45:05 »
Okay, sorry. Basically: no. While photography (and basing and modding and ... ) are important skills, it's a painting contest. One picture is what everyone gets.

Once the contest is over, you're of course free to post what you want.

W.
I take it this isn't open for debate? I mean it is an online painting contest, so the picture(s) is everything we have to go by. If it was a live competition as a judge I could view the miniature from different angles. So why the limit to just one view? Why not allow a collage? Or if you rule out different views, how about a picture showing one angle and a few additional details? (example, example, example)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2011, 06:55:04 »
Basically being arbitrarily but equally unfair to all. And it shouldn't be impossible to pick one photo that displays - if not every feature of your mini - the best possible aspect.

W.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2011, 07:12:27 »
Basically being arbitrarily but equally unfair to all. And it shouldn't be impossible to pick one photo that displays - if not every feature of your mini - the best possible aspect.
Sure, equally unfair to all. But probably mostly to the viewers?
As a miniature is three dimensional and made to be appreciated from all angles (which is echoed by the paint work, as I don't paint for a single picture or angle only) it will be almost impossible to pick the 'best' angle.

But, ok, one angle (no detail inserts?) is the rule ... I don't have to like it, but of course I will play by it ;)

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 20 June 2011, 16:14:11 »
Darn...I just re-read the submission rules and it turns out my idea for a mini isn't legal:

A prototype mech, the AWS-Aws (awesome Awesome a.k.a. "made of Awesome");
Jumps, and has a prototype RAC-20...that fires chainsaws...that explode!

MEP

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 20 June 2011, 18:10:12 »
Darn...I just re-read the submission rules and it turns out my idea for a mini isn't legal:

A prototype mech, the AWS-Aws (awesome Awesome a.k.a. "made of Awesome");
Jumps, and has a prototype RAC-20...that fires chainsaws...that explode!

Perhaps and Iron Kitbash contest is in order next?
In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #30 on: 23 June 2011, 23:25:09 »
Weekly update!

Just going into Origins week - we may keep this as a tradition for the Origins-GenCon period if people want - and we have four entries so far! And all very good work.

W.

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #31 on: 26 June 2011, 23:23:45 »
Will the judging be blind? As in, the names of the artist withheld until afterwards?
-James Degenhardt

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #32 on: 26 June 2011, 23:24:51 »
Perhaps and Iron Kitbash contest is in order next?

Why bother? It would be a toss-up between Mr Balk and Spaceman Spiff   ;D
-James Degenhardt

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 27 June 2011, 00:20:48 »
Yes, voting will be blind, names revealed later.

W

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 11 July 2011, 19:15:11 »
And ...  just a reminder that we are open for entries in Iron Painter 2011. There's a bit over 2 weeks left to submit (before GenCon starts), so feel free to pick up your brushes and join in!

We currently have entries from 6 forum members, so there's room for more. if you're working on something, please post here just so I can get an idea of potential numbers.

Cheers,

Chairman Worktroll

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 12 July 2011, 04:35:53 »
I have something in the line, but not sure, if it will be finished in time.  :D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 12 July 2011, 06:41:50 »
I can probably rock a day or so, if it helps ...

W.

Diamond Shark

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 12 July 2011, 16:48:25 »
85% complete on an entry to the graded category, might not be able to complete one for the open, will would like too.

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 12 July 2011, 20:15:39 »
I'm almost done with my entry for the Graded Category and I'll try to get something ready for the Open Category, but no guarantee there.

Vaaish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 13 July 2011, 23:27:14 »
Should entries be stuff that hasn't been posted on the forum already to keep it from swaying votes?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 14 July 2011, 00:11:08 »
Yes. Entries should be things you haven't posted on any forum previously.

W.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 14 July 2011, 02:02:39 »
Will my picture box be ok to use? As its all I have that can be used to get the proper lighting effects
-Worktroll

wasp

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 14 July 2011, 13:40:28 »
I should be able to have something up to you once I resize the picture.

Wasp

abou

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 22 July 2011, 00:19:46 »
I'm moving as fast as I can.  The time limit for the competition isn't the problem, but rather a personal time limit.  I've got a flight to catch Monday.  Hopefully I'll get it in.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 22 July 2011, 02:14:02 »
11 days left to run, folks! Looking forward to seeing them all in.

Cheers,

W.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #45 on: 22 July 2011, 11:15:48 »
11 days left to run, folks! Looking forward to seeing them all in.

Cheers,

W.

I have a couple ready.  I'll get them in this weekend.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #46 on: 27 July 2011, 11:06:03 »
GenCon stuff done! Let me see what I can throw together (lol!) When is the deadline?

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #47 on: 27 July 2011, 11:40:24 »
My son may have knocked me out of the competition.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,8049.0.html

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 27 July 2011, 17:49:26 »
If you can glue him to an IWM hexbase, I could probably place him in the Open :D

Remember folks, you have until Monday night US time, which allows me a couple of days to get the polls ready for the 4th. Keep those emails coming!

W.

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 28 July 2011, 14:08:56 »
I'm just now done with the GenCon stuff too, and won't be able to submit here...I'll be watching intently, though!

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 28 July 2011, 14:41:58 »
Taking pics this weekend.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

Diamond Shark

• Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 29 July 2011, 18:09:23 »
just sent one in for the graded, if you don't receive the mail , post a message here!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 29 July 2011, 21:18:04 »
While I have received your entry, DS, a word of advice to all - I've replied to every entry. If you don't get a short reply from me within 24 hours of sending the entry (got to allow for Australian timezones) post something here.

Cheers,

W.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 31 July 2011, 17:33:31 »
Okay, the clock is ticking, and time is running out. Both sides are deadlocked, neither will capitulate. Yes, I'm talking about Iron Painter 2011! (whatever did you think I mean? :D )

By my reckoning, there's about 30-33 hours left for those of you in the CONUS. Those outside the US can have those few extra hours if it helps, but the deadline is approaching. So far I've received 16 entrants - I may end up juggling the categories slightly so we get a decent voting pool in each group (no use having 5 groups of 3, but it'll depend on what we have).

If you're working on your submission and feel you might not quite squeak in, let me know - I think most of us would cope with a little slippage, but let me know!

Cheers,

W.

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #54 on: 31 July 2011, 18:26:42 »
Well, after completely destroying my original entry (don't ask), I managed to get a second piece done in time. This means though that I won't have anything in the open category. Not that I could complete with some of the modders anyways  :D

-James Degenhardt

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 31 July 2011, 20:27:28 »
Cutting it down to the short hairs, but mine has been submitted.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 01 August 2011, 03:31:17 »
Just have to make a good picture ...  :-\

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 01 August 2011, 07:19:18 »
I totallly forgot about contect and found about deadline only today. But I almost done my entry. Another 2-3 hours, and I'll sent pic.  #P
UPD by three hours later: Mailed
« Last Edit: 01 August 2011, 09:52:40 by Siberian-troll »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 01 August 2011, 17:50:13 »
Okay, don't default on your entries! I make it roughly 8 hours until the end of Monday on the west coast of US (and tell me if you live in Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, or other US territories - New Zealanders and Vladivostockans, it's Tuesday already! ;) )

Some lovely stuff - remember, there'll be a couple of days for me to prepare the voting polls, then on Thursday 4th August, the voting will open!

W.

Humansquish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 02 August 2011, 01:00:15 »
I didn't get mine done.  :'(
"Oh no. They've made FASAfizzicks in reality. We're doomed."-Dread Moores

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #60 on: 02 August 2011, 01:12:27 »
I didn't get mine done.  :'(

If you're that close, hammer it in, man!

Humansquish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #61 on: 02 August 2011, 02:54:31 »
I'm just realizing I couldn't get pictures anyways.  :-[ I'll have to wait for the next one.
"Oh no. They've made FASAfizzicks in reality. We're doomed."-Dread Moores

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #62 on: 02 August 2011, 18:03:57 »
Okay, submissions are now finally closed. Voting threads will be up by Thursday 4th August US time.

My thanks to all who've been able to participate - now let's show them our appreciatoin by voting during the GenCon period for our favourites. And - yes, you're completely entitled to vote for yourself ;)

W.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #63 on: 04 August 2011, 04:25:00 »
Foehamer, photobucket has eaten your submitted picture! Can you email the picture to me ASAP. I'll hold up posting until the end of Thursday for you to resubmit, but please hurry!

W.  :-\

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 04 August 2011, 20:19:27 »
Our thanks and sympathy for Foehammer - due to Photobucket and camera malfunctions, we're denied the opportunity to enjoy his Kell Hounds Hatchetman :(

But ... and with Foehammer's generous permission - the voting threads are now open! You've only got 3 days now to appreciate the entries - one vote each in each separate thread. Allez voting!

W.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #65 on: 04 August 2011, 21:08:30 »
By the way, painters, please don't make comments that identify yourself.

W.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 04 August 2011, 21:11:24 »
Voted!
Made also short list of known painters and theirs minis. I will be wait for confirmation.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2011, 21:29:04 by Siberian-troll »

Vaaish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 04 August 2011, 23:45:36 »
Some nice entries. I've made my votes. Perhaps I'll get around to entering something next time this rolls around. :)

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #68 on: 05 August 2011, 02:24:34 »
My votes are in. I would have had an entry for the Open had I not screwed up my entry so badly.
-James Degenhardt

SDR-5V

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 05 August 2011, 02:51:21 »
I also wasn't able to finish something in time :'(
Well, next time!

Very nice entries in all categories, I just made my votes!
Cheers to all participants!

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #70 on: 05 August 2011, 03:31:48 »
Voted :)

Some great work on display!

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 05 August 2011, 04:04:29 »
The threads are getting plenty of views so hopefully lots of voting happening.

Well done to all participants, great work all-round.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #72 on: 05 August 2011, 04:39:34 »
Gotta say, some amazing mechs up! Remember, who rules CBT! well we wont know till its all over!
-Worktroll

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #73 on: 06 August 2011, 11:02:22 »
Excellent work!  Voting now.

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 06 August 2011, 17:54:02 »
I voted Thursday night and found the elite category to be the most difficult to judge, three excellent minis there. There was some fine painting presented all around in this contest and a good turnout of participants too.

Let's do this again soon. ;)
« Last Edit: 07 August 2011, 10:08:23 by manticore72 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #75 on: 08 August 2011, 06:07:34 »
The inaugural Iron Painter for 2011 is ovah!!

First of all, to all the entrants:  [notworthy] Followed by  [applause]! It's been nerve-wracking, but rewarding to me. I hope you got as much out of entering as we all have enjoying your work.

And to the voting public - thanks for the interest! We've had over a hundred votes in each category, which is as far as I can recall record-breaking. I hope I can speak on behalf of the entrants when saying each painter paints ultimately for themselves, but appreciation is worth its weight in magic fiat dust. Thank you too!

And very special apologies to two would-be entrants - Foehamer whose entry was eaten by Photobucket, and clansittingducks, whose entry I lost. (Yeah, how do you lose an email? You have to work on it.  :-[ ) Guys, there will be a next time, and I'll accept your entries in that next competition on top of anything else you submit within the rules. Their day will come!

And lastly - feel free to comment on your, or other people's, entry. But please - keep it positive. "You need to look at getting better definition on your drybrushing - have you tried X" is better than "the pink on the left leg sucked."

Cheers, and until next time,

Chairman Worktroll

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #76 on: 08 August 2011, 07:06:12 »
When will the next one happen?
-Worktroll

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #77 on: 08 August 2011, 07:29:14 »
Thanks worktroll for organizing everything! Without the Iron Painter Contest my miniature count for 2011 would likely still be at 1.

Excellent work all around, thanks to all who participated for the eye-candy :)

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #78 on: 08 August 2011, 07:49:27 »
Some great work from everyone !.  I would also like to know when the next one would be snce I have some new things to work with now

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #79 on: 08 August 2011, 08:08:52 »
There were some awesome entries in this contest! Thanks to all who put my Prefect in second place! [rockon] My special thanks go to those few who voted for my Hunchback. I knew I was beat the moment I saw that amazing War Dog, but thanks to everyone anyway!
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Ruud

• Sergeant
    • PDX Classic Battletech
« Reply #80 on: 08 August 2011, 08:41:07 »
Thanks WT for the work and time to get this set up and rolling.  Congrats to all the entrants for finishing such nice minis.
3025 is my kind of old school

OHMS, Portland OR
https://ipms-oregon.org/about-us

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #81 on: 08 August 2011, 10:28:58 »
Congrats to all!  Excellent work.

When does the next one start?   ;)

Foehammer

• Corporal
  • Good, Bad, I'm the one with the Gun!
« Reply #82 on: 08 August 2011, 11:19:13 »
Dont feel bad WT stuff happens  :D. I look foward to the next one great job to all the fantasic painters out there who intered  [rockon] I will defintly try again next time  ;).

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #83 on: 08 August 2011, 11:38:06 »
Thanks and congrats, everyone!  8)
My only artist/entry guess went wrong, darnit :P
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #84 on: 08 August 2011, 14:44:52 »
First I'd like to thank Worktroll for organizing this contest and I look forward to the next one.

Second, THANK YOU to those who voted for my entry- I'm pleased with a fourth place finish out of ten. Heck, I was happy just to see that my Albatross was placed in the veteran category to begin with.  All the entrants are to be congratulated.

I'll post more pics soon for community feedback.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #85 on: 08 August 2011, 15:23:21 »
Many thanks to WT and the others involved in the contest. It has been an amazing one. Congratulations to the winners (that Urbanmech IIC was impressive) and many thanks for the people that voted mine.  :) :)
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #86 on: 08 August 2011, 15:37:39 »
Congrats to everyone. You all did outstanding work  [rockon]
-James Degenhardt

Register