Author Topic: *Update* Battle and Command Lance: 4th Davion Guards (Era Agnostic)  (Read 2908 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Finished up (except for the sealer) my command lance for my 4th Davion Guards.  Stripes filled my with anxiety, but I was able to get them done with a minimum of touch ups.  Grooves on the leg or torso are still my big enemy with this paint scheme.

I've noticed a theme with my painting this past 6 months.  With the new sculpts, anything 55 tons and over is something that is fun to work with, big enough for my eyes and hands, etc.  Low end mediums and lights get so small that it is just darn hard to work with the model.  In this case, the Valk and Stinger were....challenging.  Lots of swearing, etc. On to the group shot! (sorry for any focus issues--don't take pictures before drinking coffee....)

Marauder:

Archer:

Valkyrie:

Stinger:

Final note:
I may be guilty of over-decaling.  I like how they add details to the models, etc.  I do think that the AGoAC/Beginner's Box sculpts were slightly better to decal:  they had some large flat areas that were either clearly intended for decals or just were easy to work with.  The Command lance was much more challenging.  Every place you'd want to put a decal, you'd have some nice detail (front of Marauder's ankle, for instance) and you would end up putting the decal in your 2nd or 3rd choice location.  Mind you, if this is even a nit-pick, it is beyond minor.  I love the models and new artwork.  I just wish there was a few more flat areas for unit insignia, unit numbers, etc.

Maybe this is life teaching me I need to get better at this and quit whining!   >:D

« Last Edit: 24 May 2021, 12:28:41 by MarauderD »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Command Lance: 4th Davion Guards (Era Agnostic)
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2021, 13:20:44 »
Nice work!  I think you did just fine with the stripes, and no, they're not easy to do!  :thumbsup:

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2021, 14:29:22 »
 :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2021, 14:51:09 »
Nice work MarauderD!  8) :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2021, 20:11:17 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2021, 20:50:55 »
Very Nice work - oh to have some free time again!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2021, 17:41:43 »
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2021, 06:43:05 »
Good job. How did you get this patchy look of the blue tone? Did you use contrast paints?

This is not criticism. The often propagated smooth and even coat looks really boring to me. So I prefer a more "erratic" style.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2021, 09:57:10 »
Good job. How did you get this patchy look of the blue tone? Did you use contrast paints?

This is not criticism. The often propagated smooth and even coat looks really boring to me. So I prefer a more "erratic" style.

Patchy look is achieved with contrast paint:  in this case, one medium thick coat of Talassar blue.  Little bit of drybrushing with a light blue, and then Nuln oil to bring out the panels. 

I painted one a flat blue and I didn't like how it looked for the very same reasons.  I think the contrast paints are really helpful for a 'beginner' level painter like myself!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2021, 21:30:40 »
I absolutely love how you did those bases and may steal the 'unit colors on the front hex' idea.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2021, 12:04:20 »
My sweet 7 year old daughter likes to argue about which side is the front, so I started doing that to keep everybody happy and the whining to a minimum!

Here was my initial try at this back in August with a 3rd Lyran Guards Tbolt:

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2021, 14:32:32 »
Nice.

And that unit colors on hex base, gonna steal that.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2021, 15:50:59 »
Wow nice job!!!
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2021, 11:02:59 »
Now Reporting in with Battle Lance:

Group:

Wasp:

Warhammer

Rifleman

Phoenix Hawk

Battle Lance was more fun and somehow easier.  Phoenix Hawk model is amazing.  It and the Rifleman are both super fun to paint.  Sorry about the flash on the pics today--somehow my office is too dark without it, but the flash is too bright with it.  Perhaps my BattleTech photos need more natural light!  I'm no photographer....

Cheers all!
« Last Edit: 12 March 2021, 11:06:01 by MarauderD »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: *Update* Battle & Command Lance: 4th Davion Guards (Era Agnostic)
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2021, 19:11:43 »
Very nice work!  :thumbsup:

I have to say, though... the scaling is a little jarring after all these years...

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2021, 19:36:59 »
Very cool!

Caravan

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2021, 03:55:15 »
Very cool indeed!! This paint scheme is on my to do list as well. Bookmarked for future inspiration!  :thumbsup:

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
MarauderD, how did you straighten out the barrel on that Marauder mini?

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
That Battle Lance looks very nice, Marauder D!

I had a similar issue with decals on the new minis. I love painting them, but it was very hard finding sections big enough or flat enough to apply successfully due to the sheer amount of detail. So I've applied a lot less faction insignia than usual. Fortunately the sculpts are so nice it hasn't been too much of a problem as long as I get the color scheme right. ☺

MarauderD

• Major
MarauderD, how did you straighten out the barrel on that Marauder mini?

Just the hot water trick as taught by B1b Flyer in the camo specs video.  20 second dip in water that has been microwaved for 1 minute, straighten, then dip into cold water.  Took a try or three to get straight, but then easy peasy.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
Just the hot water trick as taught by B1b Flyer in the camo specs video.  20 second dip in water that has been microwaved for 1 minute, straighten, then dip into cold water.  Took a try or three to get straight, but then easy peasy.

Great! I was wondering if that technique would be enough, as I've seen Marauders from a bunch of people, whose autocannon barrel was flaccid, pardon the pun. A number of these people mentioned that they used hot water, but that the barrel bent back to the not-so-straight position after some time has passed.

I was seriously debating with myself, if I should cut the autocannon from the body and the barrel from the autocannon, and pin it back straight.

MarauderD

• Major
Great! I was wondering if that technique would be enough, as I've seen Marauders from a bunch of people, whose autocannon barrel was flaccid, pardon the pun. A number of these people mentioned that they used hot water, but that the barrel bent back to the not-so-straight position after some time has passed.

I was seriously debating with myself, if I should cut the autocannon from the body and the barrel from the autocannon, and pin it back straight.

I don't know if it is just anecdotal, because scientifically it shouldn't happen.  But I just did hot water on my first Wolverine, and I feel like the barrel of the pistol style autocannon slowly bent back.  Since then, I've done 20 seconds in near boiling water, and then once the offending plastic is straight a dip into ice water to help the warm plastic 'set' into place.  It seems to work better, and a few months later they still look 100% straight.  My first Wolverine that I didn't do the cold water dip, not so much.

Anecdotal evidence, I know, but it is how I do it.

Register