Author Topic: Was Götterdämmerung's jump game breaking?  (Read 11325 times)

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
Was Götterdämmerung's jump game breaking?
« on: 21 October 2019, 12:14:34 »
There's a lot of systems cut off from each other because they're at 30.1 or 30.2, does it break the game to have a max range of 30.25?
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Was Götterdämmerung's jump game breaking?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2019, 15:45:47 »
Break?  No...

CHANGE? Certainly!

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2019, 15:58:03 »
Those are just inhabited systems.  There's systems in between which can be jumped into.  Actual locations don't matter too much aside from noting there's an extra jump involved.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2019, 01:14:44 »
Max jump range is ca. 30 ly, not exactly 30 ly, as demonstrated by several instances (all in Keith novels iirc). No-one ever said that any specific two systems 30.1 ly from each other are "cut off". There is no canonical jump map.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2019, 01:27:47 »
I would assume that there are plenty of uninhabited systems that serve as shipping lanes, so using those doesn't have the risk factor of going off into the Deep Periphery alone.  If your helium seals blew on a shipping lane, there'd be other ships along before too long to help out. 

Notably, when the GDL leaves Galatea in Mercenary's Star, their first stop is an unmapped, presumably uninhabited system.

If you look at the 3025 map, Dixie is a Lyran world, but is more than 30 LY from any other Lyran world.  If only inhabited systems were allowed to be used, the Lyrans would have to get in and out of Dixie through FWL space.

Of course, the existence of uninhabited systems for transit breaks some of the plot points from early books, which talk about various sides blockading systems by occupying the zenith and nadir points at inhabited systems between them and friendly systems.  If you can just go through uninhabited star systems, those blockades are utterly pointless.  (Likewise Janos Marik's order to "blockade the border" with the LC to prevent Snord's Irregulars from getting back into Lyran space with their recovered booty.)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2019, 20:39:41 »
What was the Götterdämmerung, again?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2019, 01:33:47 »
What was the Götterdämmerung, again?
A JumpShip (Sarna article) that jumped from Skye to Glengarry in one go, a jump that according to our maps seems to exceed the 30ly threshold as the systems are 32.35 ly apart on the 2d map. If memory serves it was the flagship of an entire fleet.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2019, 01:39:13 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2019, 04:28:07 »
There’s also the matter of the Black Thorns’ transit from their Lyran garrison to Luthien in what appears to have been portrayed as a single jump.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2019, 18:27:42 »
My guess is more than 30LY is possible, but the nav calculations start to go wonky & the KF Drive deals with more stress.  Etc etc.

So the 30LY is the "safe" zone for the Jump.

Possible to still have a misjump but the risk there is much lower than when you start to go further.

Fixing those KF issues & better navigation methods could have been the goals that lead to the Manassas, IU, & WoB drives.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2019, 20:21:02 »
My guess is more than 30LY is possible, but the nav calculations start to go wonky & the KF Drive deals with more stress.  Etc etc.

So the 30LY is the "safe" zone for the Jump.

Possible to still have a misjump but the risk there is much lower than when you start to go further.

Fixing those KF issues & better navigation methods could have been the goals that lead to the Manassas, IU, & WoB drives.

In fact, isn't that almost just what they said about those systems in the rules? It's disengaging the safeties?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2019, 22:07:37 »

Of course, the existence of uninhabited systems for transit breaks some of the plot points from early books, which talk about various sides blockading systems by occupying the zenith and nadir points at inhabited systems between them and friendly systems.  If you can just go through uninhabited star systems, those blockades are utterly pointless.  (Likewise Janos Marik's order to "blockade the border" with the LC to prevent Snord's Irregulars from getting back into Lyran space with their recovered booty.)

That's contradicted by later books onthe Clan invasion, so I'd just go with "the writers were assuming capabilities that didn't exist."

Register