Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless  (Read 176845 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless
« Reply #1230 on: 08 March 2019, 07:32:13 »
Uranus's rings not visable?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1231 on: 08 March 2019, 13:54:48 »
They're very thin, and not complete. Originally noticed by occulting stars, which won't show in this sort of exposure.

Some genuine pics (most in image search are artist's imaginings): from the Hubble

and from the 10m Keck IR scope:

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1232 on: 08 March 2019, 16:54:34 »
That Neptune pic is awesome.  I honestly thought it was a picture from Hubble until I scrolled down and read the text.  It's also got me wondering how much science is being done with visible light images.  Or are images like this composites of images taken at various wavelengths and then combined into a false color image?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1233 on: 08 March 2019, 17:10:17 »
As far as I know, its a visible light image. Nothing in the articles about it indicate otherwise.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1234 on: 09 March 2019, 15:03:09 »
Well the deed is done, the Dragon Crew capsule has made splash down.

I'm looking forward to them making progress like this. It will save NASA money in the end, even if Boeing capsule maybe bit more expensive.

Aside note.  I found this interesting, the Latest spacecraft was tracked by arguably one NASA's oldest planes.

WB-57 Canberra.   Old Tactical Twin-Jet Bomber. 
(Then)

(Now)
« Last Edit: 09 March 2019, 15:15:30 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1235 on: 09 March 2019, 18:22:10 »
I found this interesting, the Latest spacecraft was tracked by arguably one NASA's oldest planes.
Not quite the oldest. They still have a Beechcraft T-34C as a photographic chase aircraft.

Interestingly ESA by comparison does not seem to posses any aircraft. There are two aircraft that carry ESA colors - a Challenger 604 of private company Challenge Air that is regularly chartered to fly astronauts to/from Baikonur, and a Airbus A310 of SA Novespace, a subcompany of CNES, that is used for Zero-G flights.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1236 on: 13 March 2019, 05:43:44 »
Opportunity Rover's last pictures, panoramic photos of mars. Almost complete prior to the 2018 Severe planetary storm that essentially took it down, its great way to honor its achievements.

The colors are interesting, specially where you can see the red soil sticking out of the blacken surface as the Rover drove through.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1237 on: 13 March 2019, 19:09:47 »
Truly a fitting tribute to a rover that has provided us with so much information about the Red Planet.  Even on my phone that panoramic looks fantastic.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2019, 00:03:05 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1238 on: 14 March 2019, 12:43:13 »
Budget 2020 given NASA some tough choices to make, Administration for NASA says it's they may go commercial for it's Orion launch instead of the SLS for it's Moon efforts. 

Interesting move, i hope they make it work. It would be coin toss with the Delta IV rocket or Falcon Heavy. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1239 on: 18 March 2019, 13:44:44 »
Interesting to see Sify report this, but it's good report which originated from magazine, Nature.

Apparently, there been some information that the old 1997 Pathfinder lander & it's rover landed fairly close to what is to believed Mar's Northern Ocean and a inland sea size of California.  The scientist believe the area in question where Pathfinder landed was known for flooding. The graphic shows how they think it would have happened.  Which is was 3 Billion years ago.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1240 on: 23 March 2019, 19:09:27 »
The 2020 Mars rover will be accompanied by a 4 pounf helicopter for scouting purposes.  The copter will carry an imager for taking pictures of the Martian surface from above.  The technology will be a test for future missions and more advanced uses.   

Here is a link to an article about the helicopter/rover tandem mission.  https://www.space.com/amp/mars-helicopter-nasa-space-exploration.html

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1241 on: 23 March 2019, 21:36:01 »
Be interesting if it works.  With the Atmosphere so thin, i thought they'd try use lighter than air vehicles then rotor.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1242 on: 23 March 2019, 22:28:27 »
Lighter than air might be harder to control for photographic purposes.  I wondered at the thin atmosphere, too.  But I guess its thick enough for this application.  Or at least the scientists think so.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1243 on: 24 March 2019, 02:28:13 »
As I understand the article they're flight-testing it in a simulated Martian atmosphere, so it's obviously doable.

As for lighter-than-air I think the major problem is wind. It would have really weak engines and rely on the rover for comms, a strong wind could easily blow it out of range. :(

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1244 on: 24 March 2019, 06:33:54 »
As for lighter-than-air I think the major problem is wind. It would have really weak engines and rely on the rover for comms, a strong wind could easily blow it out of range. :(
Lighter than air also depends on relative pressure for rising. Meaning you'll want to push it up to a certain altitude - definitely above any surface features - and keep it there.

The rotorcraft is intended to basically work as a camera drone, flying short stretches at altitudes of maximum 10 meters and relatively slow speeds and basically from the air examining interesting nearby features that may not be visible from the rover (as in "what's behind that rock over there"). It will not continuously follow the rover even, the planned lifetime is for five flights out within a maximum 300m envelope.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1245 on: 24 March 2019, 06:46:22 »
Its suppose to only fly 5 times which i think that's disappointing. Couldn't they figure out way put landing pad/charging station on the rover?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1246 on: 24 March 2019, 13:58:44 »
I'm guessing they hope to fly it more times (it has solar arrays and a "night heater" so it should be able to last awhile and recharge itself). But given how fragile it must be they probably don't expect more out of it.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1247 on: 25 March 2019, 20:03:50 »
Rocket Lab had a launch attempt this past Sunday rescheduled for tomorrow, 3/26.  The launch window opens at 6:30PM EDT in the U.S., 2230 GMT or 11:30am local time 3/27 at the launch site in New Zealand.  https://spaceflightnow.com/2019/03/25/rocket-lab-launch-with-darpas-r3d2-satellite-rescheduled-for-tuesday/

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1248 on: 26 March 2019, 01:17:44 »
https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/nasa-mars-rover-curiosity-spots-peculiar-pebbles/

Here's a link to a new artivle about Curiosity discovering a bed of pebbles that resemble those from stream beds on earth.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1249 on: 28 March 2019, 00:00:11 »
The Europa Clipper will have a new magnetometer among its arsenal of instruments. Read about it in this Svientific American article.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mission-to-europa-gets-new-instrument-to-look-for-signs-of-habitability/

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1250 on: 30 March 2019, 00:33:48 »
The glorious Parker Solar Probe approaches its second dive into the corona....

https://blogs.nasa.gov/parkersolarprobe/2019/03/28/parker-solar-probe-approaches-second-solar-encounter/

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1251 on: 30 March 2019, 15:31:18 »
I can't be the only one ...

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1252 on: 30 March 2019, 18:30:36 »
Technically deep space related, insofar as where the Big Badda Boom came from.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/03/29/66-million-year-old-deathbed-linked-to-dinosaur-killing-meteor/

Specifically, they think they've found a particular graveyard that's right at the point of the K-T boundary.  Evidence?  Mixed up jammed together fossils of icthyoids, a Triceratops, and a few others all together with tektites buried in the mud...along with signs of a massive tsunami and incinerated plant matter.  A mix of fire, water, and enough thermal and physical shock to convert sand and rock into molten glass, then form it in freefall is how you get tektites, along with shocked quartz crystals and smears of iridium all at that layer.

They've all been found elsewhere at the same depths, but never all together, and never with actual fossils.  That makes this, if it's not got any other good explanations, the literal graveyard of the very last dinosaurs in their very last day upon the earth, when for them the sun began to rise in the south.  And then it kept on rising, growing brighter and brighter until a wave of destruction not seen since swept across the globe, taking millions of years to come back from.

Bowman, ND is three thousand kilometers away from the Chicxulub crater, yet it still clearly got hit with debris and energy.  The forests burned, the seas rose, the skies fell, and the dinosaurs ended.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1253 on: 30 March 2019, 20:26:26 »
This one is getting some pushback already. Paleontologist writer Brian Switek is really suspicious at the publicity >>> publication. The paper they did publish didn't even mention the sensational stuff from the press release and the New Yorker article.

https://twitter.com/Laelaps/status/1111749308884279296 (some language)

If it is an oversold discovery, that's too bad. It would have been compelling.

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1254 on: 31 March 2019, 00:56:24 »
I'd heard the New Yorker went bonzo on the article, but from what the berkley.edu link said it seemed pretty compelling.  All the classic evidence at the same layer in the same soil, though...well, let's just say "reporters" and leave it at that, hah.  Not like major educational institutions have ever written up their own stories either, to be fair.  At least the actual paper's out.

still...one hell of a mental image.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1255 on: 05 April 2019, 16:44:21 »
Hayabusa 2 has avenged the dinosaurs.

SCI warhead after separation:

Impact filmed by DCAM-3 drone:

And yes, first time we've done this.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1256 on: 05 April 2019, 16:46:43 »
Neat!

Pew pew, take that asteroids.

(alternatively) Needs moar dakka!
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1257 on: 05 April 2019, 17:06:09 »
Artist concept for the same thing:

The can in the right picture is DCAM3. There will be better pictures of the impact once Hayabusa 2 has sent the forward-stored images from DCAM3's higher resolution sensor to Earth, the above is from DCAM3's "livestream".

Hayabusa 2 will wait two weeks for the dust to settle before it moves in to examine the new crater.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1258 on: 06 April 2019, 00:34:59 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 15:08:53 by Easy »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel

Register