Author Topic: Handheld ideas thread  (Read 13868 times)

Feign

• Warrant Officer
Re: Handheld ideas thread
« Reply #60 on: 23 July 2013, 07:31:31 »
is there a way to use these in Megamek? Or to calculate them in Solaris Skunkwurks?
They're so easy to calculate by hand I doubt that they're a priority for the SSW guys.  (They have enough on their plate with Superheavies and LAMs ;) )
All that is born dies,
All that is planned fails,
All that is built crumbles,
But memories continue on,
And that is beautiful.

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 23 July 2013, 07:38:47 »
Hand Held Weapons= FINALLY a use for Rocket Launchers!  One shot, drop the empty "gun" and move on using your main guns.
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 25 July 2013, 08:54:49 »
Hand Held Weapons= FINALLY a use for Rocket Launchers!  One shot, drop the empty "gun" and move on using your main guns.
I like the way this man thinks.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 25 July 2013, 11:38:21 »
I like the way this man thinks.

It's one of the best things you can do with them- give a 35 ton light 'mech a handheld of 8 points of armor and 6 RL-10s, and let him fire off a volley or two before dropping and using his real guns.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 25 July 2013, 12:28:13 »
Rocketlaunchers are great on an actual mech, too!
They just don't even have large penalties on a handheld.
I like the idea of an AMS package, though.
Equip a lance with one or two of those, and force the enemy missile support to get too close for comfort.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Feign

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 28 July 2013, 22:49:42 »
I like the idea of an AMS package, though.
Equip a lance with one or two of those, and force the enemy missile support to get too close for comfort.
I think the handheld construction rules forbid non-weapon equipment other than a TAG...  Otherwise, I would certainly put AMS, Chaff pods, ECM and other such goodies into them all day long.
All that is born dies,
And that is beautiful.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 30 July 2013, 11:59:35 »
I think the handheld construction rules forbid non-weapon equipment other than a TAG...  Otherwise, I would certainly put AMS, Chaff pods, ECM and other such goodies into them all day long.
I checked before I posted, and I don't remember seeing anything that would preclude no AMS. However I could be wrong.
I like the Chaff and ECM though.

I was a bummed when I found out that I couldn't put a Blue Shield PFD in a handheld.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #67 on: 31 July 2013, 04:53:19 »
It's one of the best things you can do with them- give a 35 ton light 'mech a handheld of 8 points of armor and 6 RL-10s, and let him fire off a volley or two before dropping and using his real guns.

Why bother with armor on something you're going to toss away?  Use the half ton fot another 10 rockets
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 09 September 2013, 11:30:33 »

I just stumbled across a ruling about HHWs that says AMS is valid.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,27139.msg617615.html#msg617615

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 09 September 2013, 13:09:55 »
Why bother with armor on something you're going to toss away?  Use the half ton fot another 10 rockets

Max of 6 weapons in a handheld- that armor is simply in case of stray shots that the throwaway can absorb.

!!!
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Feign

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 09 September 2013, 21:26:07 »

And here's the errata that goes along with that answer! Link
I'm gonna have to agree with PoD's assessment of "!!!"

I think the Handheld weapons rules have gotten four errata rewrites now?  Gotta be a record for Battletech.

EDIT:  Also: handheld C3 Remote Sensor Launcher, yes sir, I like it.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2013, 21:31:01 by Feign »
All that is born dies,
And that is beautiful.

ProtoEva00

• Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 03 January 2014, 01:06:30 »
Just some random ideas I've had for hhw.
Like a Thunderbolt-20(OS) for a TSM Berserker
Or a ITSM Diomede wielding a Sniper Artillery cannon
It's been a while since I checked, do HHW HAVE to have armor?  I'd kinda like the opening salvo for my commando to be a Narc launcher (iOS)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #72 on: 03 January 2014, 07:45:45 »

It's been a while since I checked, do HHW HAVE to have armor?  I'd kinda like the opening salvo for my commando to be a Narc launcher (iOS)

Nope. You can have an unprotected HHW.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2014, 07:56:48 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #73 on: 03 January 2014, 07:57:47 »

IIRC, you can add AMS, weapons (duh), TAG, and weapon enhancements like Artemis/Apollo systems.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2014, 08:02:36 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Register