Author Topic: Horrors of the Society- The Orion IIC Refit  (Read 2682 times)

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
Horrors of the Society- The Orion IIC Refit
« on: 11 November 2011, 15:53:21 »
The Socitey's capture of Strana Mechty, by all accounts, was quick and brutal.  Already having gone thorough the sudden evacuations of several clans, and horribly torn by the ensuing Reaving trials (along with scars from orbital bombardments, rampant fires, and other devastation never before seen on the clan worlds) Strana Mechty was quickly turned into a Society-held "Propaganda world" by 3072 and became one of the many staging grounds for the scientist revolt.  And it is easy to see why- Strana Mechty, despite the damages incurred, was rife with battlemech production facilities, Brian caches, and the remaining laborer caste who could still work and man those stations.

The Society, by all accounts, wasted no time in beginning production of what they could use, repairing what they had, and starting new programs to strengthen areas they were deficient in.  One of these was propaganda, as the Society recognized their lack of trained warriors- sure, the calls to arms against the clans tyranny could change the minds of many Dark and Bandit caste members, however what the Society really needed was a symbol to rally behind.

The 2nd Wolf Clan auxiliary site was captured by the society and a redesign of the venerable Orion IIC was put together within a short span of time, reportedly within a couple of months.  What changes to the structure were small, all told- the original endo steel 'bones' were kept (reportedly stockpiles that had been built up over the years) and the Orion's chassis was still extremely easy to modify, despite its clan status.  The addition of a clan extra light engine was, in fact, the most difficult addition, however it was easy to divert the production of several reactors from other sties on the clan's homeworld for it's use and only took a month of work to discover how to fit it with only minor changes.  Using the original Omega 12-coil gauss rifle also saved valuable time.

The redesign was extremely impressive.  Re-skinning the heavily armored Orion IIC 2 (or S, for obvious reasons) in nearly 16 tons of Ferro-Lamellor provided incredible damage reduction and resistance to flak and smaller weapons (LB-X cluster shot, LRM's, and light machine guns lack the strength to puncture it, SRM warheads are heavily reduced) and the addition of an advanced CASE II system for the iATM warheads gave the Orion IIC 2 the ability to not only survive a devastating ammo explosion relatively intact, but also have the chance to save some of it's expensive munitions.  Finally, like all major battlemechs the Society used, a Nova CEWS was secured in the head assembly along with a similar Full-head ejection system (akin to the one used in the Celephaus) with hopes that whatever elite pilot using this machine could be saved.

The weapons used were debated upon heavily, and the Society decided that only elite and veteran pilots could use the machine.  Twin Large pulse lasers (produced on Ironhold, another main Society sect) provided long-range, highly accurate firepower along with the rifle, and a surprising 4 iATM 3 launchers further added terrible levels of firepower and crit-seeking to the total loadout.  In fact, the only disadvantages the Orion IIC 2 had, despite it's somewhat low ammunition levels (80 total flights between 4 iATMs, 16 rounds for the rifle) was it's heat buildup- which was more than manageable by the few veteran and even fewer elite pilots used to man the machines.

In the end, however, only a Trinary at best were built and deployed.  However, the effects on the homeworld clans in fighting the great father's chosen 'mech were felt for decades afterwards.  It is said that those remaining clans have entombed the remains of the few Orion IIC 2's as well as the production site, as a solemn reminder aimed at those who would stray from clan law.

Code: [Select]
Orion IIC 2

Mass: 75 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-F
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 20,131,625 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,479

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 43.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.5 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Lamellor
Armament:
    1  Gauss Rifle
    2  Large Pulse Lasers
    4  iATM-3s
    1  Nova CEWS Suite
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   114 points                4.00
    Internal Locations: 1 CT, 3 LA, 3 RA
Engine:             XL Engine                    300                       9.50
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Double                       12(24)                    2.00
Gyro:               Standard Gyro                                          3.00
Cockpit:            Standard w/ Full Head Ejection System                  3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA    R: SH+UA+LA
Armor:              Ferro-Lamellor               AV - 217                 15.50
    Armor Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 2 RT, 2 LA, 2 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
    CASE Locations: LT, RT                                                 0.00
    CASE II Locations: 1 LT                                                0.50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     23           32       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  10         
                                           L/R Torso     16           22       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  10         
                                             L/R Arm     12           22       
                                             L/R Leg     16           29       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Large Pulse Laser                            RA        10        2         6.00
iATM-3                                        RA        2         2         1.50
Large Pulse Laser                            LA        10        2         6.00
iATM-3                                        LA        2         2         1.50
Gauss Rifle                                  RT        1         6        12.00
2 iATM-3s                                     LT        4         4         3.00
Nova CEWS                                    HD        2         1         1.00
@Gauss Rifle (16)                            RT        -         2         2.00
@iATM-3 (20)                                  LT        -         1         1.00
@iATM-3 (ER) (20)                             LT        -         1         1.00
@iATM-3 (HE) (20)                             LT        -         1         1.00
@iATM-3 (IIW) (20)                                  LT        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      9    Points: 25
4          5       5       4       0      3     1   Structure:  4
Special Abilities: ECM, CASE, SRCH, EEE, ES, SOA

*Note- IIW stands for Improved Inferno.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
Re: Horrors of the Society- The Orion IIC Refit
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2011, 11:34:18 »
What?  No comments/Suggestions :( ?
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2011, 11:49:58 »
Nice design & good fluff to go with it.  After reading WoR I'm a big fan of the Society's Nova CEWS and the iATMs.  Really looking forward to getting a MM update to use them in.  Did you do the design in Skunk Works by chance?
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2011, 12:35:14 »
Nice design & good fluff to go with it.  After reading WoR I'm a big fan of the Society's Nova CEWS and the iATMs.  Really looking forward to getting a MM update to use them in.  Did you do the design in Skunk Works by chance?

Most of it.  I still had the iATM's be regular, and the Nova CEWS was just an ECM suite.

Once the design was finished, I exported it to a text file and made the necessary changes- excluding battleforce stats.
Cowdragon:

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2011, 12:36:58 »
I really like this. The refit isn't an extreme one but is nonetheless effective, and the reason for being definitely clicks for what the Society was out trying to do. My personal preferences would prefer to see a larger iATM rack in the LT backed by the two 3s, but that's me.

On top of a solid custom, you also have a talent for fluff-writing. That info blurb shows you really went over the fluff for the Society when creating it. Bravo!

Also, the thread title "Horrors of the Society", is this to say that this was part one of a serial of Society configs to look forward to?
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2011, 15:27:24 »
Very cool refit; it makes me wish SSW already had the Society tech in it, because I wanna take this thing for a spin in MegaMek. If you have any more Society upgrades in the pipeline, I look forward to them.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2011, 05:39:49 »
Going a bit out of topic but...
I've already updated my copy of SSW to include the new gear from WoR.  Here is the link to do the same: http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/custom-weapons.  I also attached the modified copies of the weapon and equipment files from SSW.  Copy them to SSW\Data\Equipment and you should have iATMs and the Nova CEWS for use.
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2011, 10:30:03 »
I never thought Strana Mechty fell I though the Society used it as a Propaganda world to keep the Clans distracted ie releasing information to cause the population to cause problems for the various Clans but never having to actually attack it.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2011, 18:08:18 »
I've already updated my copy of SSW to include the new gear from WoR.  Here is the link to do the same: http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/custom-weapons.  I also attached the modified copies of the weapon and equipment files from SSW.  Copy them to SSW\Data\Equipment and you should have iATMs and the Nova CEWS for use.

Dude, you rule. Thank you.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2011, 11:12:33 »
Thanks for the responses guys!  Glad someone liked em'!

Today I'll be posting up another omni for the Society (and other clans...) to use.  Make no mistake however; this is nothing produced "in-house", if you catch my meaning.

I never thought Strana Mechty fell I though the Society used it as a Propaganda world to keep the Clans distracted ie releasing information to cause the population to cause problems for the various Clans but never having to actually attack it.

That might be it, I never really knew.  That's my only problem with the Wars of Reaving- you have to re-read it just to understand what happened!

I'll have to try this some time- has anyone pre-made those lists yet?  Or are they still coming?
Cowdragon:

Register