Poll

So, what do you think?

Awesome!  I'm going to play it.
0 (0%)
Looks good.  I'll think about playing it.
3 (33.3%)
Meh.  Doesn't interest me.
6 (66.7%)
It sucks.
0 (0%)
It sucks soft, warm dog poo.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: 07 March 2011, 16:20:46

Author Topic: So, does THIS look any good?  (Read 2530 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
So, does THIS look any good?
« on: 05 February 2011, 16:20:46 »
So, read this and let me know your opinion.  Game rules are still being worked on.

FIGHTERSHIPS

Developed in the years during the 3rd Exodus from the Kerensky Cluster from commonly available small craft, they were used as stand-ins for more potent AeroSpace fighters.  Further development by the IlKhan’s Joint Development Program has resulted in the creation of a “Super-Heavy” fighter/bomber, termed a FighterShip.  Weighing 110- to 200 tons, Aerodyne FighterShips are the preferred type.

Construction Rules

To simplify construction, the points below assume you have copies of the Battletech TechManual and Tactical Operations by Catalyst.

Step 1:
   Step one determines the unit type and internal space of an AeroSpace unit, as well as its Tech Base and total mass.  The unit type is ‘FighterShip’.
·   Its space is as a small craft, 12 weapons per arc.
·   Because FighterShips are exclusive to the new Clans, a ‘Mixed’ tech base must be chosen.
·   Fighters are built in 10-ton increments between 110- and 200-Tons.
·   FighterShips must be Aerodynes

Notes:

Step 2:
   In Step two, we find the mass of its engines, control systems, fuel supply, and armor.  Special Physical Enhancements are not used when constructing FighterShips.
·   A FighterShip’s engines are divided into two equally-rated engines, supported by the wings. FighterShips may use any type of Clan or IS engine technology.  Because of their size, it is recommended to carry 4 tons of fuel.
·   FighterShips use the rules for AeroSpace fighters when determining SI.
·   FighterShips require a larger cockpit than AeroSpace fighters; unlike small craft, however, their mission duration doesn’t require crew quarters.

Notes:
·   Engine Ratings for FighterShips are calculated by taking FighterShip tonnage x , similar to the calculation for small craft.  This Engine Rating is divided by 2, giving the size of the FighterShip’s twin engines.
·   Since the FighterShip uses ASF-type fuel systems, it does not use the 2% cost of small craft for tanks and pumps.
·   FighterShips use the rules of ASF to determine SI; normally, 10% of their total tonnage rather than their Safe Thrust value.
·   FighterShips require dual cockpits; use the ASF rules to assign 6 tons of total mass to the FighterShip.

Step 3:
   In this Step, armor is added normally to the FighterShip to a maximum of (FS total tonnage) x 8.
·   FighterShips may use all dezClan and Inner Sphere armor technologies.

Notes:
·   Equipment slots taken up by the use of armor on FighterShips follow the table below.

FighterShip Armor Critical Slots Table
Armor         Slots       Slots
Type          (IS)                 (Clan)
Light F-A         0                     0
F-A (IS)        2 (1/Wing)                N/A
F-A (C)              N/A                3 (1/Aft, 1/Wing)
Heavy F-A  6 (2 Aft, 2/Wing)           N/A

Step 4:
   Similar to small craft, FighterShips operate on a ‘zero heat’ principle forcing them to carry enough heat sinks to dissipate their accumulated heat in the Heat Phase of every Turn.
·   FighterShips may use all Clan and Inner Sphere heatsink technologies.

Notes:
·   Each engine is capable of carrying 10 heatsinks.  However, under certain circumstances (such as damage to both engines) a FighterShip may find itself without enough heat sinks to dissipate its accumulated heat.  Under those circumstances, the FighterShip is considered destroyed for game purposes.  Heat sinks in other locations may keep it in action.

Step 5:
   In this Step, add the FighterShip’s weapons and/or bomb load using the Heavy Weapons Chart.
·   FighterShips use the rules for small craft requiring ammo-fed weapons carry a minimum of 10 Turns of ammunition, including multiple ammunition types.

Notes:
·   FighterShips make use of a single Cargo Bay Door for a variety of uses; most notably bombs (which can’t be carried externally), fuel, and a variety of ELM and Light Armor bays.
·   FighterShps have several unique rules to handle possible roles.  Among these are Assault Superiority Fighter (standard), DropFighter (ELM and Light Armor transport), Bomber (with internal bomb-bay), Tanker (with internal fuel tanks), and Torpedo Bomber (with single Cap-missile in the internal bay).
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: So, does THIS look any good?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2011, 02:09:49 »
Looks pretty, neat. But seems like a shuttle to me.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2011, 03:44:59 »
They have Small Craft that mass 100 to 200 tons and there are "assault fighter" versions

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2011, 10:09:13 »
Yup.  I wanted something to compare with the way Clan-tech outclassed the Inner Sphere.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Register