Author Topic: (Research) ECM and Probes on Aircraft  (Read 1738 times)

FedComGirl

• Major
(Research) ECM and Probes on Aircraft
« on: 23 October 2011, 21:40:36 »
I've been told that Probes and ECM have no effect when mounted on Aerospace units (Convenional and not). And I don't want to be a pest but if they don't have any effect why does the Torrent Heavy Bomber mount an ECM Suite and why is it considered to be better protection than the 3 tons of Hubris Heavy Armor the Torrent carries?

Then there's the following Double Blind Rule on page 222 in Tactical Operations.

Airborne Units: Sensor ranges for airborne units do not change, though LOS exists to all units on the playing area. If using a High-Altitude Map, an airborne unit must be in the Ground Hex Row to make a sensor detection roll. If using a Low-Altitude Map, an airborne unit cannot be at Altitude 10; it must be at Altitudes 1 –9 to make a sensor detection roll. In both instances, the airborne unit is considered to be in Hex 0909 of the ground mapsheet corresponding to the hex occupied by the unit.

If I read it right, Sensors and Probes can be used against ground targets but only at certain altitudes and only from hex 0909. If that's correct does ECM also protect Aircraft from ground units under the same circumstances? I know the aircraft would still be visible, unless hidden behind clouds or mountains, but would the ECM make targeting the aircraft more difficult?

Conversly, if an aircraft is low enough to use it's sensors against ground units can those same ground units use thier sensors and probes to detect aircraft even if hidden by clouds or mountains? Unless of course the aircraft's ECM protects against those sensors?

What about against other aircraft? Can Probes detect aircraft at greater ranges in an atmosphere, the way they can in space? Or if they're hidden behind clouds or mountains? 
« Last Edit: 02 December 2017, 21:10:00 by Moonsword »

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
Re: ECM and Probes on Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2011, 08:42:48 »
Who told you this? What was their proof?
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

FedComGirl

• Major
Re: ECM and Probes on Aircraft
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2011, 22:52:09 »
Who told you this? What was their proof?

You mean about ECM and Probes not having any effect against ground units? It was here in the forums. I tried to find my original question but I couldn't. Several people though told me it was because Aerospace craft move too fast for the probes and ecm to work. Which never made sense to me for a variety of reasons. But that's what I kept being told. Were they wrong? Are ECM and Probes usable against ground units within the limits stated in the double blind rules?