Author Topic: Really mechanised Battle Armour?  (Read 3467 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Really mechanised Battle Armour?
« on: 18 January 2012, 17:06:52 »
Okay, another posted had a question about mechanised BA - eg. riding on 'Mechs.

And I had a mental image of a point of Elementals, all riding those three-wheeled Harley Davidsons ... or a squad of Hauberks driving those little six-wheelers that the Banana Splits used to drive ...

Wouldn't it make sense to have small vehicles with decent ground speeds (4/6 or above) to move the slower, heavier BA around? They could ride these to or even into the edge of battle, then deploy when they get where they wanted. In fluff terms, the personal transports could also carry spare ammo, powerpacks, energy drinks etc (that hump on the Cavalier's back? Not mentioning brand names, but it's a mother of a boost. And you have to ask what gives the Kage wings ... :D )

I know you can go boring with an APC of some form. But can't you imagine the intimidation factor of Gnomes riding choppers? Or a Purifier squad playing with their mimetics and going all Ghost Rider on some unsuspecting PBI? Or just the flexibility to get otherwise slow BA into battle more quickly, without having to resort to armoured Spam in a can?

Discuss :)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Re: Really mechanised Battle Armour?
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2012, 17:15:40 »
Can you imagine the suspension needed to carry a Gnome across rough terrain at speed? I love the idea, but I'd make the 'bikes' very fragile, and limited to the best terrain.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2012, 17:20:51 »
Or massively heavy - say 3 tons with a 1.5 ton payload and no armour to speak of (just enough to keep mud off the BA). We have wheeled & tracked vehicles moving at high speed over normal terrain as it is.

Additional thought - the BA could plug into the bike's power supply while riding, and save battery life.

(you know I have to kitbash this now ....)

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2012, 17:27:52 »
You have to, and I may try as well. They'll have to accept low-light fighting penalties, because of the obligatory sunglasses.
My wife writes books

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2012, 17:31:17 »
Yes, it makes a lot of sense and technically they've appeared in the Wolf Pack novel - those small hovercraft that were described as little more than a frame and a fusion engine, that the Elementals could hang on the outside. I use 5t OmniVehicles as the closest possible copy within the rules

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2012, 18:11:29 »
I'm seeing a 5-ton wheeled omnivehicle, moving at (say) 6/9 or higher, charging over rough terrain.

With 5 Golem Elementals clinging to it for dear life.

It's called ... the Keystone. For obvious reasons.

(Is there a Keaton bloodname??)

W.

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2012, 18:24:28 »
I'm seeing a 5-ton wheeled omnivehicle, moving at (say) 6/9 or higher, charging over rough terrain.

With 5 Golem Elementals clinging to it for dear life.

It's called ... the Keystone. For obvious reasons.

(Is there a Keaton bloodname??)

W.

For some reason I'm imagining them hanging on to a Mini-Monster Truck bouncing over the landscape.
Maybe Vehicular Jump Jets to get a little more air?  ;D

Maybe the downside would be they only could take them for trials on Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!!!
« Last Edit: 18 January 2012, 18:26:20 by Blackjack Jones »

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2012, 18:30:45 »
It's probably a good thing for everyone's sanity that Omni support vehicles can't use the mechanized infantry rules.

EDIT: Those of you who are wondering why I say that, keep in mind that said rules don't make allowances for vehicle tonnage.  If they were allowed for support vehicles, we could theoretically design a very small unicycle for these purposes.

Personally, I'd establish a hard minimum of at least 2x intended BA passenger tonnage to use the mechanized infantry rules for my own games (leaving the smallest canon OmniMech safely able to move more BA than it can actually embark anyway), but the rules don't actually establish any minimums at all.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2012, 18:35:08 by Moonsword »

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2012, 18:31:01 »
Would love an Omni-Bren Gun Carrier for these purposes.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2012, 18:36:58 »
I have to do an omni-Unicycle squad now ... Raidend might suit ;)

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2012, 18:45:46 »
Nonono. An Omni-Vespa.
My wife writes books

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2012, 18:47:34 »
I want to see this concept so very badly.   I love the idea of tiny power armors having their own personal rides.

Battle armors that plug into mini-hover skirts and skiing across the battlefield at ridiculous speeds (Black Star team time) or to truly see the fun of the wheeled or tracked 'mechanized' battle armors (cyclones!).

Also...

Nonono. An Omni-Vespa.

I want to see an elemental riding one of those!
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2012, 19:11:54 »
On a slightly more serious note than my last post, let's go to the wayback machine and look at some
of the things the US Military thought might be cool ways to transport infantry back in the 60's and later.

Not all that impressive when a lot of the suits have JJ's already, but I'm sure the other guy would
say otherwise once he saw a Kanazuchi on one outside a 12th story window on its way to the
roof of a 20 story building.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2012, 19:17:30 »

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 18 January 2012, 19:28:34 »
Just thinking of how many BAs weigh as much as an SUV.

Self driven transport seems a bit awkward. If it's already gotta be the size of a combat vehicle in order to get speed advantages (over unmounted BAs) then it may as well BE a combat vehicle.
Let Miley lick the hammers!

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #15 on: 18 January 2012, 20:02:33 »
Why does this make me think of the Peel P50 that I saw on Top Gear? Might need to be upscaled a bit for the weight of the Battle Armor. ;D
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #16 on: 18 January 2012, 21:04:57 »
Basically it sounds like it was an Omni-SavanahMaster/Skimmer,  maybe no weapons & armor for a bigger engine.

As for the cycle thing, I have a hard time picturing a Kanazuchi riding a bike steering w/ oversized claws across the battlefield.

But the Omni Hover concept is canon & I wish we had stats.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #17 on: 18 January 2012, 21:10:41 »
Oh, I was also reminded of infantry troopers that were issued bicycles in the World Wars.

I want to see a Kanazuchi trooper furiously pedalling on a bicycle designed for Battle Armor! ;D
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2012, 00:38:07 »
I suddenly have an image of a Golem on a Segway.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2012, 03:36:09 »
We all realise the omni part doesn't help with the assault armour right?

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 19 January 2012, 03:46:10 »
Two segways for assault armour, one for each foot then. :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 19 January 2012, 04:35:16 »
We all realise the omni part doesn't help with the assault armour right?

Thus the pressing need for Vespas for your Kanazuchi, and Banana-Split-mobiles for your Hauberks!

W.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #22 on: 19 January 2012, 08:50:57 »
Thus the pressing need for Vespas for your Kanazuchi, and Banana-Split-mobiles for your Hauberks!

W.

Motorized roller skates for quad PA.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2012, 12:10:54 »
Was a set on paper back Post Apocalyptic books in the 1980's about an American company of troops in powered armour, riding on nuclear powered trikes. The Series of books was titled "C.A.D.S." by J. Sievert.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2012, 15:11:29 by georgiaboy »
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Register