Poll

Which 35-ton scout mech takes this fight?

Owens Prime: kites with LRM-5s
4 (18.2%)
Raven 4L: better firepower, and good-enough speed.
16 (72.7%)
Oops, forgot this one: too close to call.
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Fight Night! Attack of the Scouts: Owens Prime vs. Raven 4L  (Read 1592 times)

willydstyle

• Captain
Two standard map sheets, Total Warfare rules, 4/5 pilots.

Demos

• Captain
Re: Fight Night! Attack of the Scouts: Owens Prime vs. Raven 4L
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2012, 01:34:02 »
We need a poll...

I'd vote for the Raven. He can activate stealth armor and have enough heat sinking capacity to fire the ERML.
The Owens will hit nothing at long-range, so it has to close to medium range at least. This gives the Raven the possibility to engage with ERML. The Owens cannot stay out of medium range of the Ravens weaponry forever, even with the speed bonus.
If the Owens decide to close to engage the Raven with one ML and the two SL, even with enagaged stealth armor the Raven will have the firepower advantage.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2012, 03:43:12 »
I'm going to give it to the Owens. It can kite a bit at medium range, then close in with a strong charge or outside-of-front-arc kicks.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2012, 04:00:55 »
Raven- you can't hit jack at long range against a target with Stealth armor so the Owens has to get close enough that the Raven's got a good chance of engaging with its superior close in weaponry.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2012, 05:00:21 »
This is one of those cases where, regardless of who wins, everybody loses.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2012, 05:22:11 »
No, that would be watching Lincoln Osis and Victor Davion mud-wrestling.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2012, 07:17:55 »
The Raven's stealth armor decided it for me.

The Owens's speed & LRMs give it an advantage until it blows through that single ton of ammo, and then the Raven's close-in firepower clinches the battle. The stealth armor removes a lot of the LRM's utility though, removing one of the Owens's advantages.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2012, 10:56:00 »
Can you self TAG for SG-LRMs?

I can't really decide on this match up.  With Stealth up both have the same heat capacity for movement and weapons.  The Owens has a ton more armor, and can walk backwards nearly as fast as the Raven can run at it.  As others have pointed out the Stealth Armor means you need to attack from medium range or closer.  However 'close' is seven hexes for the LRMs, which is medium to long for the Raven's weapons, and he'll have to drop one laser out every two to three turns to cool down.

Working with the Owens it'd be soften him at range if you can, then once your LRM ammo is exhausted go in for the knife fight.  You have enough of a speed advantage that he can't keep away long, not that he wants too.

The Raven wants to keep his stealth up while the LRMs are in play, and try to NARC the Owens.  Go half beacons and half explosive warheads on the ammo.  Once the LRMs are down, drop the Stealth and hope your heavier firepower can punch through his thicker armor first, you can hit twice as hard in close.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2012, 10:59:09 by Nikas_Zekeval »

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2012, 13:25:57 »
The Owens will win.

It has the speed to dictate range even if it loses initiative.

If the both mechs had light engines I would put this dramatically in favor of the Raven. But both mechs have an XL engine thus the Owens has enough LRM ammo to take out a side torso without running dry and being forced to get into the short range bracket of the Raven where it would get dominated.