Author Topic: NEW COLONIAL REGION (pre-Fronc Reaches)  (Read 2656 times)

BlakeHunter

NEW COLONIAL REGION (pre-Fronc Reaches)
« on: 18 January 2012, 09:34:15 »
Hello,

I'm directing a PBEM Mechwarrior/Battletech campaign. It's 3056. The players are Colonial Marshals. A task force assembled from Canopus and Taurus send to "conquer" the sector between these two states. The area wild become the New Colonial Region.

The FASA books gave  some info about the NCR, but not about it's previous state. The FM Periphery described some pirate bands, like the Tortuge Fusiliers or the Extractors, but they work far away the NCR. The Shen-se Tian haven't appeared still. So, any ideas?

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
Re: NEW COLONIAL REGION (pre-Fronc Reaches)
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2012, 09:04:29 »
Near as we can tell, the planets that make up the Future Fronc, anywhere from 7 to 11 planets, were largely already colonized but at such low numbers as to not be admitted in their respective nations... like any other frontier town that might see a jumpship once a year or two. Their populations dropped from the 2nd SS war era (when they were fought over) to the point they weren't even mapped.

Maybe economic reasons
Maybe increased piracy
Maybe loss of jumpship trade
Maybe loss of technology (power, water purification, etc)

The whole formation of the NCR was a government movement to provide law and order, protection, and development on those worlds. The Colonial Mashals were deployed, mostly in lance or single-man formations, to protect locals and provide order. They were supposed to be built up to the point (theoretically) that they were 3000's era lance-company sized units with bases and normal podunk defenses... and come together as a band of merry rascals to go rassle up suspected pirate bases. 

Decent new mechs plus militia armor is a good enough deterrent for the typical (lance to short-company) pirate force, equipped with decrepit 3rd SS war era mechs.

Essentially they were meant to drive off pirate gangs from the region, affording growth and development. It might even be politically motivated to drive pirate groups into the less-well-defended Far-Looker colonies... but that's pure speculation. The MoC outlands were fairly well defended, albet mostly because they lacked good transport assets at the time.

For rarer info on the NCR, look into Shattered Sphere. There's also Periphery 2nd (man in swamp) for the best info, Historicals: Brush Wars gives good info on the area, and the Marshal writeup (which is in Periphery 2nd anyways)
Freeborn and proud~

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2012, 09:11:48 »
Sorry, I think it was "Inner Sphere" not "Shattered Sphere" though both may be useful... dont have my books nearby
Freeborn and proud~

BlakeHunter

« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2012, 12:15:10 »
Seems correct tome.

The only exception is DETROIT, which retained some industrial capacity.

My theory is that the Star League had great plans for the NCR. They built great factories in Detroit, but with the Periphery wars, and the Kerensky exodus, the Armed Forces fled, and the chaoes rises.

In my campaign, the last SL general was f*cking crazy, and he droped some nukes before leaving Detroit. So the industrial continent is a dangerous zone.

Also I've the theory that WORLD OF BLAKE had some secret bases in the Region. It's perfect for them: forgotten by everybody, with untouched resources, and the probability of contracting mercs in HEROTITUS...

ABOUT YOUR POST: I think the Far Looker sect is highly interesting. I will use them, thanks :_)!

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2012, 01:21:13 »
Interstellar Players has info on the Far Lookers, lots of room for good story

I don't think Detroit had any real industry, least nothing beyond maybe ammo or weapon construction. The Factories built at Detroit were started under the TC-MoC partnership, then the MoC sneaked out massive upgrades by their treaty with the CC
Freeborn and proud~