Author Topic: DropShip of the Week: Seleucus  (Read 12842 times)

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Re: DropShip of the Week: Seleucus
« Reply #30 on: 24 July 2013, 09:03:57 »
By that logic, all troop transports should be converted Buccaneers, Danae, or Mules. Because if a hundred merchantmen come at your world behind a screen of a regiment of fighters, you can't attack because it might be a trade show.

Also, your target priority is...odd, to say the least. You'd really focus on and destroy a ship carrying a company of armored infantry instead of one carrying a company of BattleMechs? Or a combined-arms battalion? Note that the Seleucus is a tougher ship to kill than such transports as the Union, Seeker, Triumph, Fortress, and even such monsters as the Overlord or Excalibur. Are you seriously telling me that if you had the firepower to drop a Seleucus, you'd do that instead of eliminating one of those ships(and all the troops carried within) even faster?

To make my point yet again: the Seleucus is more durable than EVERY IS DropShip in 3057r except the Achilles and upgraded Intruder, and beats out several Clan ships far larger than itself as well. All to carry a measly two companies of conventional forces.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 24 July 2013, 22:12:48 »
By that logic, all troop transports should be converted Buccaneers, Danae, or Mules. Because if a hundred merchantmen come at your world behind a screen of a regiment of fighters, you can't attack because it might be a trade show.

Also, your target priority is...odd, to say the least. You'd really focus on and destroy a ship carrying a company of armored infantry instead of one carrying a company of BattleMechs? Or a combined-arms battalion? Note that the Seleucus is a tougher ship to kill than such transports as the Union, Seeker, Triumph, Fortress, and even such monsters as the Overlord or Excalibur. Are you seriously telling me that if you had the firepower to drop a Seleucus, you'd do that instead of eliminating one of those ships(and all the troops carried within) even faster?

To make my point yet again: the Seleucus is more durable than EVERY IS DropShip in 3057r except the Achilles and upgraded Intruder, and beats out several Clan ships far larger than itself as well. All to carry a measly two companies of conventional forces.

Frankly, yes. I'll kill the Seleucus over a Union any day. Losing a company of mechs would be bad but not cripple my invasion. 80 BA, otoh, will probably force me to change my strategy a lot. It'll be like losing an Overlord. You can't afford it.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #32 on: 24 July 2013, 22:49:04 »
If you're that easily distracted from heavy transports, I think you and I need to play a Liberation of Terra fight sometime. With you driving the Caspars, who knows how much of the SLDF I could get to the ground?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #33 on: 25 July 2013, 17:35:49 »
Frankly, yes. I'll kill the Seleucus over a Union any day. Losing a company of mechs would be bad but not cripple my invasion. 80 BA, otoh, will probably force me to change my strategy a lot. It'll be like losing an Overlord. You can't afford it.
Not completely silly. Would a Hamilcar or Seeker be targeted in the same way?

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 25 July 2013, 18:33:19 »
Not completely silly. Would a Hamilcar or Seeker be targeted in the same way?

Only if I knew the cargo. Hamilcars and Seekers might carry anything.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #35 on: 25 July 2013, 21:40:47 »
Sorry Hannibals and Seekers. Nagumos too for that matter. Basically the infantry equivalents of the Seleucus.

20 Squads of BA is base security. Wiping that out is a good thing. As a battlefield force they are somewhat marginal.

Register