Author Topic: A colony kit built in 2012  (Read 1987 times)

Korzon77

• Captain
A colony kit built in 2012
« on: 20 April 2012, 00:18:07 »
http://opensourceecology.org/gvcs.php

Some have asked about what yo'd need for a colony, and I found this pretty interesting.

Note that I don't see anything that woudl let you fabricate the electronics and such that you'd need to repear the laser cutter, etc, but OTH, given how reliable battletech systems seem to be, that might not be a major factor in the brave future of the 1980s :)

But this all could probably fit in less than 10 tons of btech cargo.

Archangel

• Major
Re: A colony kit built in 2012
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2012, 01:07:34 »
But this all could probably fit in less than 10 tons of btech cargo.

Probably not.  The bulldozer and tractor by themselves will probably be more than that.  By today's standards they would be several times more.  A modern bulldozer easily weighs more than 40 tons.  According to BT standards, a bulldozer will probably weigh between 5-10 tons.

However, it is a good start to start a village (not necessarily a full-blown colony) but it does seem to be missing a couple of things, most importantly a water treatment/filtration system.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2012, 09:45:02 »
Probably not.  The bulldozer and tractor by themselves will probably be more than that.  By today's standards they would be several times more.  A modern bulldozer easily weighs more than 40 tons.  According to BT standards, a bulldozer will probably weigh between 5-10 tons.

However, it is a good start to start a village (not necessarily a full-blown colony) but it does seem to be missing a couple of things, most importantly a water treatment/filtration system.

UV Filtration and RO Filtration are fairly light pieces of equipment, even a simple still type device can purify water, with some charcoal and sand.
I agree though Construction Equipment alone would weigh several hundred tons, Couple Bulldozers, Couple Excavators, Some Backhoes, A Grader or two, Some drilling equipment for a well, and a crane. Then you get to farm equipment, Tractors, Combines, and all the attachments for Pesticide, Fertilizer, there is another 100-200 tons. Mining Equipment 100-200 Tons, Spare Parts for these would be another 100-200 Tons. Then maybe 100-200 Tons of Machine equipment to fabricate what you need. I am of the firm opinion, that for a 10-20k Colony you would need a Potemkin filled with Mammoths and Behemoths, and still you would be dependent on outside stuff, like petrochemicals for lubrication, fertilizer and pesticide, Medical Equipment and Supplies especially Drugs, and finally electronics.

In the 50's and 60's the US investigated Nuclear Propulsion, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29, and they were investigating ships up to 8Mt power by nuclear Bombs spit out the back of the craft.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2012, 13:18:26 »
I would tend to say the weight of the equipment could be variable

note I am not saying this is ideal but I have seen some schools of thought that going with some lightweight "universal" equipment may make more sense for a "startup" than all the heavily specialized equipment that we see as common today

IE do you really need a 40ton bulldozer or could you get by with 2-3 5-10 ton buldozer/backhoe/tractor/combine rigs where they have several "equipment packages" that attach to a standardized modular vehicle, and similar

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2012, 14:26:22 »
Actualy there is an electronics maker, mills rather than prints.  Maybe a bad idea seeing as there are conducive inks and the like.  No CPU, or chemical analyses units so I worry.  Also I would like to see a library unit of some kind.  Knowlage to the hardest thing to preserve.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2012, 17:30:58 »
Books.

No, I am serious. If I want to preserve knowledge I am sticking it on books, some sort of high durability book.

MadVoorpak

• Master Sergeant
    • Talking about Tech
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2012, 19:38:02 »
Books.

No, I am serious. If I want to preserve knowledge I am sticking it on books, some sort of high durability book.

Etched into a stone tablet?

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2012, 07:02:32 »

Etched into a stone tablet?

Stone tablets have proven their durability through milennia. My last thumbdrive lasted 2 years.

Register