Author Topic: Ultra-Heavy ProtoMechs  (Read 2298 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Ultra-Heavy ProtoMechs
« on: 26 April 2012, 03:39:17 »
I've been thinking about doing another character build on the forums just to give me a break from staring at Record Sheets without completely breaking away from Battletech in general. As such, I've kind of been poking around, looking at various ideas, when I realized something.

Are there rules for assigning a character to a Ultra-Heavy ProtoMech? The chart in ATOW only goes up to 10, with 8,9,10 netting you a heavy ProtoMech. Not too surprising since Ultra-Heavies didn't exist then.

So the question remains. Are there rules for gaining Ultra-Heavies? I've checked TRO Prototypes, Field Manual 3085, and Wars of Reaving. Wars of Reaving has the closest, with a discussion of the modifiers for various types of actions, but nothing about the cost of the Vehicle trait.

Have I missed something? If I haven't, what's the general consensus? Change the 10-point trait to an Ultra-Heavy instead of heavy? Rework the chart entirely, perhaps making Lighter designs start at 1 point instead of 3 points, and shift everything down for Ultra-Heavies in the 9 and 10 spot?  Or since the chart can technically go above 10, should Ultras be an 11 or 12 point buy?

BirdofPrey

• Major
Re: Ultra-Heavy ProtoMechs
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2012, 07:52:14 »
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,14974.0.html
Nothing yet.  Same goes for superheavy mechs.  You might also notice ultraheavy vehicles aren't covered except for assualt being 80+ tons.

I am hoping the AToW Supplimental has new tables for assigning ultraheavies if those rules are in effect.

In the mean time, I would say use the ASF table for protos (lights 2-3, med 4-5, heavy 6-8, superheavy 9-10), or have mediums be 5-6 heavies be 7-8 and ultras 9-10

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Ultra-Heavy ProtoMechs
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2012, 22:36:05 »
Well, glad to see I didn't miss anything. I guess the Companion that's been rumored might be the best place for it, though its surprising nothing's been mentioned so far.

Register