Author Topic: (Answered) Modifiers for direct fire artillery when used for flak  (Read 2325 times)

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
The rules for firing direct fire artillery on page 185 of TacOps state in the second paragraph: 

In all instances, start with the attacker’s Gunnery Skill as a base to-hit number, with a +4 to-hit modifier; apply all other modifiers as noted below.

however on the same page under the heading Flak:

Apply a +3 to-hit modifier. Ignore the regular modifiers for using Type “F” weapons or making a direct- fire attack; the only other modifiers applied are for the  firing unit’s movement and current damage, as well as woods/jungle, if any are intervening.

These two sections appear to contradicting themselves.  The first section says always use base gunnery with a +4 modifier then add all other modifiers below.  Then the flak section says use the +3 modifier then ignore the regular modifiers for making a direct fire attack. 

To me this leads to two differenct scenarios and I am curious as to which is correct. 

Assuming a stationary firing unit with a gunnery of 4 and no terrain modifiers is it:
  • Gunnery (4) + Direct Fire Mod (4) + Flak Mod (3) = 11
OR
  • Gunnery (4) + Flak (3) = 7

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2014, 01:06:32 by Xotl »

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
Bump please.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
Bump Mk II. :)

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
All the modifiers for Flak replace all other modifiers.

Ignore the regular modifiers for using Type “F” weapons or making a direct- fire attack

Emphasis mine. That is meant to say use these modifiers instead.

So to answer your question, Gunnery (4) + Flak (3) = 7 is correct.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
Thank you and Ouch!

Register