Author Topic: Solaris City Police?  (Read 1835 times)

BirdDog

• Master Sergeant
Solaris City Police?
« on: 03 September 2012, 20:24:35 »
Working on a sort of "Sin City-esque" short story in the Battletech universe. Of course, my first thought was to base it in Solaris City  >:D

But, as I researched a bit more, I found myself wondering how the police would function in such a city.  Is there a "Solaris City Police Department", or is the police force split amongst each district? (I.e. Silisia Police Department, Black Hills Police Department...)

Hell, IS there even a police presence? I assumed there would have to be, unless something canon I haven't found yet explicitly states there ISN'T one...

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
Re: Solaris City Police?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2012, 20:59:22 »
On Solaris?  Go watch the Tank Police, that's the Solaris City PD. :P
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2012, 21:11:06 »
Do you have A Time of War? It describes the modern state of Solaris VII and Solaris City's police department.

After the Jihad, the pattern of the "independent districts" themed after each House was broken and the original planetary government was able to re-assert itself.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2012, 21:30:21 »
According top the book in the original Solaris boxed set (set in 3054) there are 6 police forces in Solaris City. Each "House Sector" maintains it's own police force, usually reflecting their national tendencies with varying levels of authority.  There is also a Solaris Police Department which maintains jurisdiction over the international areas, and over those who flee across borders to escape prosecution.  The SPD may move throughout the various parts of the city, but the sector forces usually look askance at such intrusions on their turf.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

BirdDog

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2012, 21:56:36 »
Do you have A Time of War? It describes the modern state of Solaris VII and Solaris City's police department.

After the Jihad, the pattern of the "independent districts" themed after each House was broken and the original planetary government was able to re-assert itself.

AS a matter of fact I do...din't even look..  :-[

I'm aiming for a pre-3050 timeline though, so not sure how helpful AToW will be

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2012, 22:14:39 »
Additional info:

Solaris City Police Dept. (International area): Limited influence but highly skilled and professional. Officially Lyran employees, reputation from the Chief on down for being incorruptible and dedicated.

Federated Commonwealth Police Dept. (Black Hills, Silesia): Nearly a thousand well equipped officers with support vehicles and a lance of recon mechs modified for crowd control, housed in a facility in the heights above the slums of the Black Hills.

Cathay Security Station (Cathay): A heavily fortified garrison housing a strong, well-armed, and professional force loyal to House Liao.  Light mechs are available to accompany major security sweeps or put down disturbances.  Despite this show of force, the Maze (Cathay's worst slum) remains off-limits to the security forces.

Kobe Security (Kobe): 500 notoriously hard-nosed troops loyal to House Kurita maintain the peace in Kobe. Their harsh but effective techniques may be supplemented by APCs and mechs if need be.

Montenegro Civic Authorities (Montenegro): the Solaris players' guide contains little info about House Marik's police force in the city. The most detailed bit of info is that their offices are located in the gleaming Marik Tower. The most telling is this sentence: "Possibly the ugliest of the Solaris sectors, Montenegro has deep troubles with crime and gang violence."

In the sprawling slums beyond the city proper many of the smaller realms (even some Bandit Kingdoms) maintain their own districts in imitation of the Big 5, but they are neither officially recognized nor detailed in the book

I hope that info helps, and if you need more let me know. I can scavenge up more tidbits from the Players' and GM's books.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2012, 08:08:31 »
I'd imagine that the branches of the SCPD hace access to SecurityMechs and, in the 3060s, Police Exo-Skeletons and possibly BA
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2012, 11:12:25 »
Well, the post above yours suggests they have full-on Light Battlemechs, so the rest is probably a given.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

BirdDog

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2012, 11:33:35 »
So it looks like Montenegro is the best setting for the type of violence, corruption, and general unpleasantness that makes a good story  ;)

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2012, 12:48:59 »
Also, in Illusions of Victory the Black Hills Police Department upgraded their light mechs for a Jagermech III and several medium mechs like the Enforcer III due to the riots and mech stable in-fighting.
Made by HikageMaru

Register