Author Topic: Organ donation.. Opt in, or Opt out??  (Read 5510 times)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Organ donation.. Opt in, or Opt out??
« Reply #30 on: 28 March 2013, 04:15:37 »
Sorry I want a Viking Funeral and everything, organs and all get to go up in smoke with my corpse. That or bury me in a Cairn. But in the end I want all my organs inside me when I do. Do I have a reason to want this? Sure, There mine and you can't have them. Thats all the reason I need.
Well, I've got a solution for that!

We'll just add a clause that you can deny the hospital the use of your body after you're dead. You just have to sign a simple form in person. After the decision's been made. ^-^

Slightly more serious; Amalor's argument is basically the same as mine, with one important difference: IMHO your body isn't yours or the hospital's when your dead - it's part of your next of kin's inheritance, so they should be the ones to decide what to do with it.

The problem is, when you think about it, how rational are people right after a close relative's died? And how well do multiple relatives agree? The best thing (and I don't know if it would be workable either) IMHO would be to have an opt-out system where your closest kin (family, your parents, maybe a few more) can say no. Then you can try to convince them about how you want it, but they're after all the ones who'll be in some way affected by the decision so it stands to reason they should get to chose, no?

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 28 March 2013, 12:06:37 »
I have to say I think that it should be opt in, I do not like them telling me that I have to do something or they will do something with my stuff (body in this case).

Gustav Kuriga

• Warrant Officer
  • Fluffeh Fennec
« Reply #32 on: 28 March 2013, 12:49:13 »
Ah yes... the "I don't care that I'm screwing with other people's lives and families" argument...
that's nonsense you loon. i use a hammer to drive screws and I ENJOY IT  - Cik

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #33 on: 28 March 2013, 13:16:02 »
Gut me, root through my pockets and ring out any usefull fluids left.  I'm dead.

I dunno, this whole idea is sort of tricky to me.  States have plenty of other powers that are in the same realm without being so creepy.  I want to say Opt Out for practical reasons, but I understand there are people more attached to their cadavar than I.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 28 March 2013, 13:28:37 »
Ah yes... the "I don't care that I'm screwing with other people's lives and families" argument...
And how am I screwing with there life or family by keeping what is mine? They did not have it before and do not have it after, I did not mess with them at all.

Gustav Kuriga

• Warrant Officer
  • Fluffeh Fennec
« Reply #35 on: 28 March 2013, 13:58:04 »
And how am I screwing with there life or family by keeping what is mine? They did not have it before and do not have it after, I did not mess with them at all.

Because you aren't alive anymore to use it while the person whose life it could save can still use it if you donated. Like the old quote says: "All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
that's nonsense you loon. i use a hammer to drive screws and I ENJOY IT  - Cik

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #36 on: 28 March 2013, 14:02:16 »
Thread locked, pending moderator review.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Register