Author Topic: Mechwarrior 3rd ed.(CBT:RPG) Campaign Ideas & General Suggestions  (Read 5174 times)

Arkangel13

About three years ago I was in a long running Mechwarrior campaign and it was probably my favorite game I've ever been in.

And now I want to run the game for a new group. I've never run the game before and would like some input about it.
This post is primarily here to ask about,

1) General campaign ideas(Long, short, and hooks) for my group.

2) The best books to invest in for extra rules, equipment, and adventures

3) Suggestions on what to stay away from, Implement, etc

I am planning to start the campaign after the 4th Succession war and the formation of Fed Com, but a couple years prior to the clan invasion. I also have been entertaining the idea of having the group join a mercenary company and allow them to create  multiple characters within the company, thus fleshing out the company and allowing all the players to participate in any mission.(No reason to make the techy stay home all the time if he also has a Armored Infantry character)

Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 14:58:39 by Arkangel13 »

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Mechwarrior 3rd ed.(CBT:RPG) Campaign Ideas & General Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2013, 17:03:25 »

1) General campaign ideas(Long, short, and hooks) for my group.

2) The best books to invest in for extra rules, equipment, and adventures

3) Suggestions on what to stay away from, Implement, etc

I am planning to start the campaign after the 4th Succession war and the formation of Fed Com, but a couple years prior to the clan invasion. I also have been entertaining the idea of having the group join a mercenary company and allow them to create  multiple characters within the company, thus fleshing out the company and allowing all the players to participate in any mission.(No reason to make the techy stay home all the time if he also has a Armored Infantry character)

Any advice would be appreciated.
common hooks find the (insert item)
guard duties retainer type duties etc
these will tend to be overarcing plots like campaign premises.

definately should look at the players charactors traits and see if there is anything you can incorperate enemys alergies, addictions, etc

best books in general for equipment, are imo:
2750/3025/3039/ 3050 (note the 2750 is optional and mostly retconned ) that will geve you some ideas about common military vehicles

ATOW or (mw 1st, 2nd, or 3rd editions) and companions can be very helpful
beyond that it helps to decide what your plan is if you are doing davion /steainer or other houses the various house books typically can be useful but may not

you may want to be careful with the tech you give out (both to players, and enemies) as you can almost guarantee advanced tech enemy units WILL be salvaged at some point so consider the fact of "what are you going to do" if someone gets some DHS and just refits their mech to use them with standard weapons to reduce or eliminate heat issues

Register