Author Topic: RAFM?  (Read 2438 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
RAFM?
« on: 10 April 2015, 20:58:46 »
So, it's only been in the past year, by accident that I became aware of RAFM.

As I gather, this was a canadian outfit which was primarily responsible for producing heavy gear minis. But it seems they also did battletech minis as well? What is the Story there? Once I came upon the "definitive" story of Battletech minis and RAFM was never mentioned.

As I understood it Ral Partha covered this side of the Atlantic and Ral Partha Europe took care of the other. It seem especially odd that a manufacturer of a competing product would be producing battletech miniatures. But in this I confess my ignorance of Heavy Gear, as it seems that RAFM's involvement was mainly in the earlier days of Battledroids and tapered off before the Clan era.

And what about those packages? Brittle plastic baggies filled with lead minis must have been hell on the old FLGS back in the day; no wonder that didn't last.

Thanks for your time.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
Re: RAFM?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2015, 21:30:22 »
They where a licensee to Ral Partha in the 80's and into 90's. Don't have the specifics right now, but they made and sold ral partha products in Canada. Ral partha Europe did not come around until late 90's when fasa owned ral partha.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2015, 06:20:53 »
They where a licensee to Ral Partha in the 80's and into 90's. Don't have the specifics right now, but they made and sold ral partha products in Canada. Ral partha Europe did not come around until late 90's when fasa owned ral partha.

I just find it really interesting that battletech minis were made in Canada, ever. Where was RAFM Based?

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2015, 13:28:06 »
A quick google shows still in existance and has been for 35 years. Currently out of Brantford Ontario.

Heavyguard

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2015, 20:25:50 »
Wow, cool!

I was going to bet Ancaster, just because they cast lead there.

A.E. Housman

Register