Author Topic: MWO Open Beta  (Read 44057 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: MWO Open Beta
« Reply #240 on: 22 January 2013, 16:14:08 »
Sadly I didn't get in before the jump jet Nerf. How badly did those get hit? From the looks of it, range got horrifyingly curtailed (my Spider lists 120 meters, IIRC, with 12 jump jets).  Did they do anything else, like curtail in-air maneuvering?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #241 on: 22 January 2013, 16:45:57 »
I keep hearing it was a two-parter, but I've only ever seen the one: It used to be you only needed one to get a chassiss' full jump power. This was part of the "Jenners are OP" phase you missed.

The other part? I haven't seen the change, and it seems to be a longing for how anything with JJs didn't need to touch the ground in WM2 …
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #242 on: 22 January 2013, 20:16:54 »
The main changes to JJs:

* Now need more than one.  It used to be that a single JJ gave every mech the same jump capability and more JJs did nothing.
* Number of JJs & weight of your chassis affects both take-off speed and max jump distance.
* Angle of the jump has been made shallower.  Angle seems dependent on current velocity, so the faster you're going, the shallower (but longer) your jump.  This one is what really annoys people as it makes seemingly easy obstacles hard to clear.
"Everything starts as someone's daydream." -- Larry Niven

MM Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/megamek/_list/tickets

MHQ Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/_list/tickets

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #243 on: 22 January 2013, 22:21:49 »
… and more JJs did nothing.
Twice I've had my sole jj crited out from under me, so I'd gotten into the habit of carrying two …  :D
Goose

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #244 on: 22 January 2013, 22:28:56 »
I've been working on my technique to use my jumpjets to turn my facing faster.  There is a slight delay before it actually works but it has helped me keep guns on target quite a bit already.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #245 on: 22 January 2013, 22:32:33 »
I've been working on my technique to use my jumpjets to turn my facing faster.  There is a slight delay before it actually works but it has helped me keep guns on target quite a bit already.

I often use my JJ on my cat to turn faster, as well. It is quite useful when you have someone coming up behind you that is not a
Raven/Jenner/Commando
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #246 on: 23 January 2013, 01:25:57 »
Yep, love the jump-turn.  I really miss that when running chassis that can't mount JJs.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #247 on: 23 January 2013, 03:37:28 »
Yep, love the jump-turn.  I really miss that when running chassis that can't mount JJs.

What is funny is when your opponents seem shocked and confused when you do it...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #248 on: 23 January 2013, 13:05:21 »
What is funny is when your opponents seem shocked and confused when you do it...

That's half the fun. ;)

Yeah, jump jets have definitely saved my bacon a couple times, by allowing me to find cover before the Incoming Missile Spam of Doom(tm) managed to somehow home in all on my center torso and donut my 'Mech.

Amusingly, I ran into a guy last night who was confused and couldn't understand why I'd drive a Spider when the Raven 3L was available, saying how useless jump jets are.  Seriously.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Bigwheels

• Recruit
« Reply #249 on: 23 January 2013, 13:43:26 »
A little off the current topic, but as I just found out about this game yesterday, & gave it a try last night, I'm wondering if there's a place in there where a newby can get used to the controlls, & practice up a bit before being thrown into a grinder. I'm having real trouble getting used to the keyboard/mouse controlls, & get scrapped before I even get a shot in.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #250 on: 23 January 2013, 13:57:56 »
Sorry: There's not.  :(

Arguably the biggest consequence of the craptacular match making is how n00bs- er, freshmeat- ah, novance get thrown into the deep end, and scared off …

It's almost a personality test: Are you social enough to get on a TS3 server and find someone to talk to in a puck-up game? Or will you keep you rage to yourself and be a lone wolf?

And what rocket scientist misnamed grabastic disorganized so'n'so's "PuG", when it should have been used for non-permanent teams? :-Г
Goose

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #251 on: 23 January 2013, 13:58:21 »
A little off the current topic, but as I just found out about this game yesterday, & gave it a try last night, I'm wondering if there's a place in there where a newby can get used to the controlls, & practice up a bit before being thrown into a grinder. I'm having real trouble getting used to the keyboard/mouse controlls, & get scrapped before I even get a shot in.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/forum/3-training-grounds/

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #252 on: 23 January 2013, 15:12:15 »
And what rocket scientist misnamed grabastic disorganized so'n'so's "PuG", when it should have been used for non-permanent teams? :-Г

I consider it as short for "Pick-Up Gamer" rather than "Pick-Up Group".  That way it makes more sense in current MWO forum/TS usage.

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #253 on: 24 January 2013, 00:30:29 »
I am a total PUG. Honestly, this game is getting boring FAST. Not enough maps. Not enough mission types.

If you guys are looking for an additional team member who is decent with a Catapult then I am your guy. I usually score in the top half of my team win or lose as a PUG.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #254 on: 24 January 2013, 00:32:45 »
Frequent and long breaks are the key for now.

I am kind of interested in that new Commando they put out.  Not enough to spend real money on mind you unless by some miracle I manage to become employed or win the lottery.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #255 on: 24 January 2013, 07:35:25 »
This, this, and so much this is the best advice I can give to folks.
We've been told in a recent Ask the Devs significant changes in which a patch is made takes about 4 weeks.
Now at times they have made hotfix patches, but that risks destabilizing things due to the nature of that type of patch.

This game, at the moment, isn't really made for the "Let's play for a day straight and have tournaments!" style of gamer yet.
In fact it was set to open beta because of tester fatigue according to one of the reasons.

I know a lot of folks in that community hate the term "Its Beta", but it is and for some spots it will be boring for a while.
Then a patch or two will revitalize the game with a new mode, map, or update on weapons.
Then people will get used to those changes at the cycle will begin again.

So for the moment the game can be enjoyable, but for long term usage have another game you can switch to when MWO starts to lose some flavor at the moment and come back later.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #256 on: 24 January 2013, 07:59:36 »
I am a total PUG. Honestly, this game is getting boring FAST. Not enough maps. Not enough mission types.

If you guys are looking for an additional team member who is decent with a Catapult then I am your guy. I usually score in the top half of my team win or lose as a PUG.

Might not want rely on us for this.  We're kind of all over the place.in terms of availability and preference.  MWO forums have at least some semblance of recruiting if you care for it.

On the other hand, the idea of grognards from the BT forum banding together sounds like a flagrantly awful time.  And I mean that in the best way.

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #257 on: 24 January 2013, 11:50:04 »

Yep, that's what I do as well.  In fact, I've been on hiatus for almost two weeks and am thinking of jumping back in this weekend.  Fortunately, I'm a beta tester in another mech-themed game plus I have more than enough other hobbies (too many) to pass the time.

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #258 on: 24 January 2013, 15:18:22 »
Might not want rely on us for this.  We're kind of all over the place.in terms of availability and preference.  MWO forums have at least some semblance of recruiting if you care for it.

On the other hand, the idea of grognards from the BT forum banding together sounds like a flagrantly awful time.  And I mean that in the best way.

I think it would be interesting.  It doesn't even need to be "official".  At least you know that the people here wouldn't be jerks. 

In MechWarrior 4 I was in one of the "Clan Wolf's".  But the most lethal team I was ever part of was my Financial Planner, and another Officer that I worked with.  We would get on Roger Wilco and communicate, which was commonplace at that point already. But we used to have lunch an map plans on white boards.  It was more fun than the law should allow.  People thought we were cheating.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #259 on: 24 January 2013, 15:44:27 »
Well my corps is on my sig in the MWO forums.
They are casual, but also do have serious players. The good thing is there's a clear distinction on teamspeak.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Joe mallan

• Private
  • yeah... I know.
    • Murphy's Law Gaming
« Reply #260 on: 05 February 2013, 10:45:13 »
howdy gang.
I am looking to actually see you guys on MWO. I know Goose is there, but if yer not there my your CBT names hit me with a PM!
I am using teh new Character name of Joseph Mallan in MWO.

Yeah... I know, nothing if not un original!

I had some growing pain in Closed beta, but landed with Murphy's Law. We are a beer league MercCorp of mostly service persons. But we are not discriminatory, If you can fog a mirror, and click a mouse, you are right for Murphy's Law. HOWEVER, We are servicemen, we are foul mouthed, sometimes offensive, but loyal to the end... even if they did give me a nickname of "Death at 4 FpS"! ;D
www.murphyslawgaming.com

We are a MercCorp affiliated with House Steiner. We are openly recruiting Military and former Military personal. Not a serviceman, not a problem we like you to.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #261 on: 11 February 2013, 08:44:16 »
Howdy Mr Mallan, nice to meet you in this theater of war...thx for your help in my crusade

Joe mallan

• Private
  • yeah... I know.
    • Murphy's Law Gaming
« Reply #262 on: 11 February 2013, 13:28:00 »
Sadly I didn't get in before the jump jet Nerf. How badly did those get hit? From the looks of it, range got horrifyingly curtailed (my Spider lists 120 meters, IIRC, with 12 jump jets).  Did they do anything else, like curtail in-air maneuvering?
In closed Beta, one Jump Jet gave you full Jump capacity! Funny part... Nobody poptarted then!
www.murphyslawgaming.com

We are a MercCorp affiliated with House Steiner. We are openly recruiting Military and former Military personal. Not a serviceman, not a problem we like you to.

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #263 on: 15 February 2013, 13:46:40 »
I think I understand the matchmaking, generally mechs are matched by weight class, not by weight or BV or some other metric. Is there any reason I shouldn't take the heaviest mech in a class? Other than better load outs of course. I was thinking about getting an Assault, but I can't fathom why I'd choose and Awesome or Stalker of an Atlas.

I apologize if this has already been answered, but the reason for picking a Stalker over an Atlas might be that weaponry is not only limited by tonnage available, but by hardpoints.  STK-3F's have six energy hardpoints and four missile mounts, plus the tonnage to fill them all.  The Stalker can be a short range brawler (ML's and SRM's), indirect fire support (LRM's), a sniper (LL's, PPC's), or a mech that does all three well enough to be a threat (the default weapons load).  The Awesome has a fast torso twist and a large twist angle.  It also has engine options to make it go faster than any other assault.  The Atlas can take a huge beating, but is short on hardpoints, so it must pick a bracket (long or short) and own it at the expense of the other.  The Awesome is fast, the Atlas takes a severe beating, the Stalker has lots of hardpoints.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Labyr

• Sergeant
« Reply #264 on: 15 February 2013, 19:00:33 »
I apologize if this has already been answered, but the reason for picking a Stalker over an Atlas might be that weaponry is not only limited by tonnage available, but by hardpoints.  STK-3F's have six energy hardpoints and four missile mounts, plus the tonnage to fill them all.  The Stalker can be a short range brawler (ML's and SRM's), indirect fire support (LRM's), a sniper (LL's, PPC's), or a mech that does all three well enough to be a threat (the default weapons load).  The Awesome has a fast torso twist and a large twist angle.  It also has engine options to make it go faster than any other assault.  The Atlas can take a huge beating, but is short on hardpoints, so it must pick a bracket (long or short) and own it at the expense of the other.  The Awesome is fast, the Atlas takes a severe beating, the Stalker has lots of hardpoints.

Different hardpoints is a good answer, mechs like K2 Catapult and the Cataphract with all those ACs have different capabilities than other mechs in their class that recommend them. I'm not sure this plays out too much in assaults so far, as no assault has double ballistics yet. Maybe my point of view is particular to my play style, I prefer LRMs at range and enough medium lasers to not overload my heat dissipation, you can get that from any of the 3 current assaults right now.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #265 on: 16 February 2013, 01:15:51 »
In closed Beta, one Jump Jet gave you full Jump capacity! Funny part... Nobody poptarted then!
That's wrong: It was a thing with LRM-Pults …

It might of had something to do with how LRMs needed ~200m of "headroom" before they popped-up and started tracking properly, but hwatvere.
Goose

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #266 on: 16 February 2013, 01:39:58 »
Different hardpoints is a good answer, mechs like K2 Catapult and the Cataphract with all those ACs have different capabilities than other mechs in their class that recommend them. I'm not sure this plays out too much in assaults so far, as no assault has double ballistics yet. Maybe my point of view is particular to my play style, I prefer LRMs at range and enough medium lasers to not overload my heat dissipation, you can get that from any of the 3 current assaults right now.

I flit among three Stalkers and an Atlas.  I started with the STK-3F, because I was actually getting decent in the STK-3F trial mech, then I got a -5M for the centerline energy hardpoint, and a -5S to get a trio of Stalkers to unlock all of the advancements.  The -3F now runs with 4PPC's and 2ML, the -5M runs with the ERLL it arrives with, stock, 4MPL's, 4SRM6's and an SRM4 (Scattershot).  The -5s runs with a 300XLFE, 2MPL, an SRM4 and 4ERPPC's (Sleepy*).  I have an AS7-D-DC with the AC/20, 2LPL's, 2SRM6's, and an SRM2 (Li'l Edward).  The AS7-D-DC has two ballistic hardpoints, but both in the same side torso.  I may take out the AC/20, downgrade the LPL's to MPL's and mount 2UAC/5's.

My -3F and Sleepy are hang back and snipe mechs, Scattershot is a splatcat wannabee (if you meet Scattershot in a cave, wait for me to shut down, and then run away; unless, you can kill me before my restart).  Li'l Edward can hit with the LPL's for reduced damage to 600m, but really is an in-your-face guy.  Li'l Edward has an ECM and the three Stalkers each have a BAP

Since my last post, I have learned something annoying about the Atlas:  It does not shoot well down hill, nor is it able to fire over a ridge line without exposing itself all but completely (cockpit in head, weapons at waist level).  Stalker arm weaponry is at cockpit level, so anything you can see over, you can fire over, and you can lower the nose to fire down.  Catapults are even better, as with a bit of cleverness, you might be able to shoot over ridge with only the arms exposed (would need to try this out).

* Sleepy was a money pit.  To cram in enough double heat sinks, I had to replace the 255XLFE with a 300XLFE, so the engine, heat sink upgrade and ERPPC's added 8.8 million c-bills to a mech that was not cheap to begin with.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Joe mallan

• Private
  • yeah... I know.
    • Murphy's Law Gaming
« Reply #267 on: 16 February 2013, 08:46:15 »
That's wrong: It was a thing with LRM-Pults …

It might of had something to do with how LRMs needed ~200m of "headroom" before they popped-up and started tracking properly, but hwatvere.
Ok I will amend  my statement to I hadn't seen pop tarting in CB.
www.murphyslawgaming.com

Register