Author Topic: Mech of the week: Axman  (Read 40049 times)

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mech of the week: Axman
« Reply #90 on: 01 January 2021, 03:58:20 »
Practically everyone made that mistake until Total Warfare made it explicit that it hit on the full-body table.

Using the punch table is the only way melee weapons make sense.  Otherwise they do the same damage as two punches with the punch table offsetting any advantage they get from more concentrated damage.  So long as fists are free there's just no reason to consider anything you have to pay tonnage for. 

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #91 on: 01 January 2021, 10:50:27 »
=== MODERATOR NOTICE ===

Stop threadjacking over the punch table discussion, please.  The rules technicality has been brought up and addressed.  We do not need to have that argument in here.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #92 on: 01 January 2021, 13:19:04 »
Thing about 2N Axman is it was created by the Cartoon show (why with missile launchers with SIX tubes) each is oddity.  I honestly didn't realize they were 6-tube launchers on the shoulder.   I do wonder why they went with launcher over it's autocannon 20.  Less guns on tv? 

https://imgur.com/a/25Bym8e This link of the Cartoon 2N firing.

Anyways, i was playing around with it.  SIX 6 Launcher 2N if you go by see what you get thing, will in fact work.  So does MRM20 & 10 version though i'd go with ladder, since the 20 version has only 12 volleys per launcher.   Its still interesting mech, i wish video games aside from HBS would allow it's use.  Not everything likes being ax these questions.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2021, 13:21:25 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #93 on: 01 January 2021, 15:35:45 »
Could have been a number of things as Auto cannons are still very common on the show. Re-watching a few bits and pieces on Renegade HPG channel, some parts are actual thought out (not many but a few) so someone may have noted a mech using indirect fire with other LRM equip mechs may have a better chance against Clanners vs getting into AC/20 rang. Could have also been a case of "So, there is no way we can use the Archer... we can use the Crusader ether... you know why. Look, here is a list of what we can use, pick whatever you think looks cool... yeah, but that's not a missile launcher on it's shoulder... I mean, I guess it could have a missile launcher... alright, you now have a Axman with missile for the show."       
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #94 on: 01 January 2021, 15:49:00 »
Well, i'm going post variants. It's been ages since i did. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #95 on: 01 January 2021, 16:32:42 »
Thing about 2N Axman is it was created by the Cartoon show (why with missile launchers with SIX tubes) each is oddity.  I honestly didn't realize they were 6-tube launchers on the shoulder.   I do wonder why they went with launcher over it's autocannon 20.  Less guns on tv? 

I'm guessing that it was for the action figure.  Spring-fired missiles on each shoulder looks cooler than one cannon.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #96 on: 01 January 2021, 16:51:21 »
honestly i'm surprised FASA made them LRM's given that we rarely see anyone in the show engage at outside SRM range.

i guess they took the quick and easy route of LRM's to avoid having to figure out to do with all the weight replacing an AC20 with a pair of SRM6's would free up.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2021, 16:53:08 by glitterboy2098 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #97 on: 01 January 2021, 18:53:20 »
Yeah, it's a much easier conversion.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #98 on: 02 January 2021, 07:34:06 »
Inversion of current discussion/annoyance with BattleTech: Legends, given the cartoon making the 2N variant popular , why wasn't the Kickstarter rework of the Axman built with it in mind?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #99 on: 02 January 2021, 07:57:35 »
The popularity of the 2N outside of the cartoon is questionable. I'm sure fans would have demanded a new 2N if one was wanted, it's how we ended up with the current line up.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #100 on: 08 January 2021, 23:15:40 »
i guess they took the quick and easy route of LRM's to avoid having to figure out to do with all the weight replacing an AC20 with a pair of SRM6's would free up.
Easy, make it quad 6's
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo