Author Topic: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom  (Read 136631 times)

Broken_Metal_Dreaming

• Corporal
Re: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom
« Reply #960 on: 01 April 2024, 22:42:31 »
So for much of their history the Outworld's Alliance Mech units were asssigned to their Air wings.

From field Manual Periphery- The grenadiers are part of the 5th air wing's Joyless Rodgers. The flag of the air wing is a frowning skull on black with shattered crossbones.

From Camospecs- https://camospecs.com/unit/5th-alliance-air-wing/
The 5th AAW uses a combination of black, grey, blue-grey or silver creating bands on the aft half of fighters with black vertical stabilizers. Forward section color is dependent on the Regiment but uses one of the four colors. Squadrons use a highlight color to trim stabilizers and leading edges.

It does note that the commander of the air wing is eccentric and dresses in an age of sail uniform. So you might look to naval uniforms of the 18th and 19th centuries for inspiration on scheme beyond the colors and aerospace examples.

Individual battallion insignias are described on Sarna. The only colors mentioned are white and gold in the command battallion insignia- which is the only mech battallion as of 3064.

As of 3064 they are a combined arms regiment, 1 of mechs, 1 jump infantry, one other infantry.

It is unclear if the batallions remain combined arms in FM: 3145 but they have been detatched from the 5th air wing as part of the Raven Alliance.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #961 on: 10 April 2024, 16:23:03 »
Does anyone recognize the Raven ships in the top and bottom left? Nice Nasagawas!
« Last Edit: 10 April 2024, 16:26:33 by jimdigris »

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #962 on: 10 April 2024, 16:37:29 »
It's weird too because while I can tell they're both Nagasawas, they look like two completely different ships, and neither of them even look like the TRO artwork. The bottom left one practically looks like an A-wing, LOL.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Escorpion Imperio • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #963 on: 12 April 2024, 22:30:00 »
I love that Visigoth picture/ paint scheme

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #964 on: 14 July 2024, 19:20:45 »
Within the Raven Alliance, are machines like the Charger C and the Merlin C mainly for Raven Clusters, AMC units, both? What might the average Raven Warrior think about being assigned such a mahine? Would being in the Watch change said Warrior's opinion?
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #965 on: 14 July 2024, 20:37:23 »
Within the Raven Alliance, are machines like the Charger C and the Merlin C mainly for Raven Clusters, AMC units, both?

We really don't get much detail on how these two designs are distributed, but FWIW, the Merlin C entry does note that the Merlin C is starting to reach the Ravens' garrison Clusters.

If I had to guess, though... both. The text of the Merlin C implies to me that the earlier production model, the MLN-1D, might have been used in a fire support role in the Raven touman, and again FWIW, that model of Merlin is on the Raven Alliance RATs in FM3145 (though to be fair, FM3145 came out years before the ilClan era or the RecGuides, as I suspect the Merlin and Charger C both would be on there now).

What might the average Raven Warrior think about being assigned such a mahine?

We don't have any evidence to say for certain, but given the fact that 1) it's a second-line machine 2) built by not just Spheroids but Peripherats 3) who the Ravens don't appear to truly respect and are just using for mutual benefit/a place to roost, I'd say that they'd probably be at least somewhat disappointed.

Would being in the Watch change said Warrior's opinion?

How so?
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Escorpion Imperio • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #966 on: 16 July 2024, 18:50:04 »
That's the direction I was leaning in, but I don't feel like I have a good understanding of the whole 'Raven Alliance' thing, the interactions of it's two halves, and the mindset of Raven Warriors (AKA the interesting half, IMO). I appreciate the more considered insight, as ever.

How so?

I guess what I mean to ask is, assuming there is bias against upgraded IS designs, can you think of any reason why these wouldn't be considered fair for use by the Raven Watch? I keep thinking of the Red Raven in his White Raven, or Ramil Kerensky in his Dire Wolf when I think of Clan Watch rides.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #967 on: 17 July 2024, 01:25:02 »
I guess what I mean to ask is, assuming there is bias against upgraded IS designs, can you think of any reason why these wouldn't be considered fair for use by the Raven Watch? I keep thinking of the Red Raven in his White Raven, or Ramil Kerensky in his Dire Wolf when I think of Clan Watch rides.

I wouldn't necessarily use either of those two examples as "baseline" Watch agents; they were both fairly exceptional people. But yeah, I'd totally say that these designs would be fair use for Watch MechWarriors.

Warmind_SR

• Recruit
« Reply #968 on: 31 July 2024, 21:29:05 »
Greetings, fellow Significantly Chilly Magpies, I'm newer to the setting, but not totally illiterate, and having read mostly Sarna articles, RecGuides for mechs, and history, found I liked WarShips, ASF, and the scrappy, scheming nature of the Ravens and Outworlds, which leads me to ask, where should I start making forces and reading any additional lore beyond Sarna for the Ravens? Help is appreciated, I generally get that the Alliance is more of a vaguely convenient thing where the Ravens get free berths, housing, and access to factories in return for the Alliance getting a real military this time, and I'd love to know more about what is quickly becoming my favorite faction

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #969 on: 31 July 2024, 22:27:23 »
Greetings, fellow Significantly Chilly Magpies, I'm newer to the setting, but not totally illiterate, and having read mostly Sarna articles, RecGuides for mechs, and history, found I liked WarShips, ASF, and the scrappy, scheming nature of the Ravens and Outworlds, which leads me to ask, where should I start making forces and reading any additional lore beyond Sarna for the Ravens? Help is appreciated, I generally get that the Alliance is more of a vaguely convenient thing where the Ravens get free berths, housing, and access to factories in return for the Alliance getting a real military this time, and I'd love to know more about what is quickly becoming my favorite faction

Ravens during their time in the sphere would mostly be found in:
Field Manual 3085
Field Manual 3145
Era Report 3145
Shattered Fortress

Unfortunately for you, none of those focus on the Ravens, but it will cover the Raven Alliance for you.

Also, I think it's generally assumed that they will be prominent in the upcoming Ilkhan's Eyes Only sourcebook. Though that may be a while, so I'd focus on the other listed.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #970 on: 01 August 2024, 16:01:32 »
Do we know when that's coming out yet? 
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.