Author Topic: Talk to me about the Colonial Marshals  (Read 4711 times)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
Talk to me about the Colonial Marshals
« on: 27 July 2014, 17:20:25 »
So, let's say it is the mid-3060s.  Things are a little tense among the two parties of the Treaty of Taurus; Protector Jeff Calderon is dead, there's unrest in the New Colony Region, the Canopians are attempting to keep Detroit as part of one of their nations, Grover Shraplen is seeing Davion Devils everywhere.  And, of course, trying to keep the peace in these colonies are the beleaguered Colonial Marshals.

So let's say that this particular Colony is not necessarily important enough to show up on a map.  Let's call it planet Idgas, for the sake of having a name.  Now, there are plenty of colonies that are rich with mineral wealth, or have a production facility, or whatever.  Idgas, not necessarily one of those.

Idgas has cows.

LOTS of cows.

While it's not an inhospitable place by any means, and it potentially has mining opportunities (realistically, what non-gas giant planet doesn't, when you really think about it?), they just haven't been set up yet.  There's some small scale iron mining going on, maybe, but that's about it.  Basically, this is largely a farm colony, and not a whole lot worth taking, aside from cows.

What would you expect the force of Colonial Marshals to be on Planet Idgas?  Like, maybe a lance of Mechs, if that?  What sort of mechs (let's also assume that this particular batch of Marshals aren't getting a heck of a lot of funding, both for being on a relatively unimportant planet, and because one of the Marshals maaaaaaaaay have done something they don't like to talk about with a commanding officer's daughter)?  What sort of conventional forces?

(Basically, I know nothing about how the Colonial Marshals are set up pre-Fronc Reach secession, can you guys help me?)
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Archangel

• Major
Re: Talk to me about the Colonial Marshals
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2014, 18:50:56 »
While there might be a lance on-planet, they are likely spread out across the planet and rarely interact with each other.  A small number of dismounted  Marshals may also be assigned to the planet either stationed in the cities or working directly with the planetary militia while they are waiting for a 'Mech to be assigned to them or for their mounted brethren to capture one for them.  Only the more well-developed (for the area) Fronc worlds will you find groups of Marshals working together on a regular basis.  The Colonial Marshals prefer rugged designs over high-tech due to lack of well-equipped maintenance facilities and lack of access to advanced replacement parts.  Conventional forces will be planetary militia, cheap, low-tech equipment that is likely well-used, probably some horses (or their equivalent) as well.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2014, 21:02:58 »
Apart from the main body of the Martials they where more like the modern Texas Rangers or US & State/Territory Martials of the Old West or Troopers of Colonial Australia.

One Riot, One Ranger or one Trooper per District,

if you follow the Colonial Trooper model it's one Trooper per Watch-house a Patrol or two may base themselves out of a Troopers Watch House or make it a stop on there circuit and they may get a Probationary Countable once they make Sergeant, the local Bailiff may use the same building or compound as well. apart from being the Law they where also responsible for raising, training and leading the local Militia (the CMF, officially they where part of the Reserves but acted as Militia did in other parts of the world till after federation) possibly with the assistance of mustered out or reserved Regular Army personal. In Battletech terms that should mean in short notice the Martial is likely to be able to raise a Lance of Batlemechs (some combo of Him, a Constable/Deputy, the Bailiff, an Errant and some locals ex-army or "Professional" Militia types) if he's lucky a Patrol may be on world giving him a 2nd lance with a dropship and perhaps some ASF support. then there would be the Armed Industrial/Agromechs and the Militia Armour and Infantry.

You said this world had little apart from Cows, that to me said Cattlemasters at the Stations/Ranches and Agromechs to work the feed farms (many on the same lease as Cattle Stations) and Cargo Mechs at the space port. if there are enough hours between Jump point and the world that could mean lots of Machine Guns and Missile Launchers (or at least rocket launchers) fitted to the local Working Mechs in place of lift hoists and cargo bays.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2014, 21:34:13 »
I'd expect to find at least one Marshal on the planet, if only for comedic effect.  ;D

As for non-'mech forces, I'd expect the local law enforcement to provide some support. Even if it's in the form of a sheriff and a few deputies in  a truck, it should be enough to handle most rustlers. Military threats would probably be best handled by the governor issuing a formal surrender.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2014, 22:16:03 »
I'd expect to find at least one Marshal on the planet, if only for comedic effect.  ;D

As for non-'mech forces, I'd expect the local law enforcement to provide some support. Even if it's in the form of a sheriff and a few deputies in  a truck, it should be enough to handle most rustlers. Military threats would probably be best handled by the governor issuing a formal surrender.

I would give a Marshal, but I really want to hammer home the point that this isn't the plum assignment for the Colonial Marshals.  I was thinking a Phoenix Hawk or a second hand Vindicator, actually, but haven't decided yet.

Attempting to start an AtoW campaign with my brother and whoever I can find.  Basic plot, small rebel uprising on the planet (although really, what would get a bunch of cattle ranchers' jimmies in a bunch, I haven't the slightest), followed by weirder things (a haunting?  IN MY BATTLETECH?) occurring.  The Marshal is probably going to end up shot out of their ride at one point.  Still in the infant stages, definitely want a Colonial Marshal in the party.  Possibly the only mechwarrior (there may be a player in a Cattlemaster as well, depends on what people are in for).
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2014, 02:31:13 »
I would give a Marshal, but I really want to hammer home the point that this isn't the plum assignment for the Colonial Marshals.  I was thinking a Phoenix Hawk or a second hand Vindicator, actually, but haven't decided yet.

Even if it wasn't a plum assignment, having at least one Marshal on the planet would make sense.  It is their flagship 'Mech after all.

Basic plot, small rebel uprising on the planet (although really, what would get a bunch of cattle ranchers' jimmies in a bunch, I haven't the slightest), followed by weirder things (a haunting?  IN MY BATTLETECH?) occurring.  The Marshal is probably going to end up shot out of their ride at one point.  Still in the infant stages, definitely want a Colonial Marshal in the party.  Possibly the only mechwarrior (there may be a player in a Cattlemaster as well, depends on what people are in for).

Easily explained.  The Taurians were real unhappy with the Magistracy helping the Fronc Reaches become independent to the point of sending raiders into the Fronc Reaches despite being at war with the FedSuns.  Some of the immigrants could be Taurian agents supporting Taurian patriots seeking to claim the planet for the Taurian Concordat possibly in order to use the planet as a staging base for deeper raids.  Later you could have Taurian hired raiders/pirates visit the planets to rest and resupply on food and water.

Just a reminder:  every Colonial Marshal is a trained MechWarrior even if they haven't been assigned their 'Mech yet.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2014, 17:23:51 »
Add in another Mechwarrior in a Firestarter, for when you have giant BBQ parties.   :D

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2014, 19:12:18 »
Add in another Mechwarrior in a Firestarter, for when you have giant BBQ parties.   :D

Thats an idea.  One flamer with the barbecue sauce, the other to cook the meat.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2014, 19:29:08 »
Or more likely - the Taurians are funding a small insurgency - shipping arms and equipment and even a small number of "technical advisors" onto the planet to raise a small insurgency.
These guys raid and raze homesteads and ranches, shoot up police buildings, lay mines on back roads, etc.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2014, 20:02:11 »
Or more likely - the Taurians are funding a small insurgency - shipping arms and equipment and even a small number of "technical advisors" onto the planet to raise a small insurgency.
These guys raid and raze homesteads and ranches, shoot up police buildings, lay mines on back roads, etc.

I was basically thinking just general "NCR independency uprisings," with maaaaaaaaaaaybe a hint of Davion agitator thrown in, but I might like this better.  Especially if the Taurians cover their tracks enough.  Hell, they could throw some fake Davion agitators in there as part of their attempt to bind the colony to itself.

(Of course, naturally something will happen to throw off EVERYONE'S plans.  Mainly, I came up with a plot twist to piss of my brother that, frankly, people familiar with the setting should figure out the gimmick of pretty quickly.  Not going into details in the supremely unlikely event he finds this forum.  Hi bro.)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2014, 20:47:15 »
Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it and don't want him seeing the whole plot. (Hi, Jklantern's bro!)

I've run a lot And fought against a lot of BT insurgencies. Especially Capellan and around the Taurian, Andurian side of space.
Something about re-fighting Vietnam with Battlemechs just makes me happy...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

AmBeth

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2014, 14:07:23 »
I'd expect the mech to be a Marshall; it was introduced in 3059 and first used to replace the existing Colonial Marshall (CM) mechs which they hoped to achieve by sometime in 3060, then it was to be issued to new CM graduates.

As for number of CM's I wouldn't have more than one. They were normally deployed one to a planet though in some cases it was in individual lance strength. However the Periphery FM gives penalties to any CMs fielding more than two units.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2014, 15:30:56 »
I was basically thinking just general "NCR independency uprisings," with maaaaaaaaaaaybe a hint of Davion agitator thrown in, but I might like this better.  Especially if the Taurians cover their tracks enough.  Hell, they could throw some fake Davion agitators in there as part of their attempt to bind the colony to itself.

(Of course, naturally something will happen to throw off EVERYONE'S plans.  Mainly, I came up with a plot twist to piss of my brother that, frankly, people familiar with the setting should figure out the gimmick of pretty quickly.  Not going into details in the supremely unlikely event he finds this forum.  Hi bro.)

no reason it couldn't be both..
taurians fomenting rebellion and trying to frame the magistracy or the davions, and davions doing it while trying to frame the taurians..

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2014, 16:14:51 »
no reason it couldn't be both..
taurians fomenting rebellion and trying to frame the magistracy or the davions, and davions doing it while trying to frame the taurians..

Aww you are leaving the Anduriens out, they get no love these days.  They have never been happy about the close relations between the Capellan Confederation (their age-old enemies) and the Magistracy of Canopus (former allies).  Cause a little unrest in the area between the two states could hurt relations between the two states or they could be seeking to establish a base to outflank the states that outflank them. :D (Yes it is getting confusing.)
« Last Edit: 02 August 2014, 16:17:07 by Archangel »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2014, 00:34:03 »
just picked the powers closest to the region that had the most to gain from disruptions in it..  ;)

Register