Author Topic: Twilight of the Clans series  (Read 3385 times)

Sibko Sebacean

• Master Sergeant
Twilight of the Clans series
« on: 14 September 2013, 02:43:00 »
Do i have to read all of those books in order for a satisfying experience?

CoffiNail

• Sergeant
  • Oathmaster of Clan Ghost Bear International
Re: Twilight of the Clans series
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2013, 03:21:20 »
No.

Reading them right now. Just about to start Prince of Havoc. Book 1 introduces the setting and gets you to dislike the SJs if you did not already. Book 2, 4 and 5 go together. Book 3 sort of gives you an idea of the state of Huntress and sets up Book 4 and 5. (This next bit is a guess, as I have yet to read them) Book 6 I think ties it all together and Book 7 is a finishing and also ties up the Jade Phoenix series. 

So far I am enjoying TotC.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2013, 03:29:04 »
You can probably drop Freebirth and Falcon Rising and not miss anything, they're more about Robert Thurston's Jade Falcon plotlines than anything to do with the main story. 

I'm not a huge fan of Sword and Fire and Shadows of War, I found too many of the plot twists and turnarounds for Task Force Serpent to be arbitrary, and the quality of the writing just wasn't as good as The Hunters.  They are pretty central to the story though.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2013, 03:45:33 »
You can probably drop Freebirth and Falcon Rising and not miss anything, they're more about Robert Thurston's Jade Falcon plotlines than anything to do with the main story. 

I'm not a huge fan of Sword and Fire and Shadows of War, I found too many of the plot twists and turnarounds for Task Force Serpent to be arbitrary, and the quality of the writing just wasn't as good as The Hunters.  They are pretty central to the story though.
I agree with Lorcan about Thurston's books, bit I disagree with his thoughts regarding the others - Battletech is extremely for putting I'm plot followers and dangling thread that care never resolved.  Just read them and enjoy a rousing story would be my suggestion.  If anything doesn't make sense in the context of the story, just don't worry about it.  It won't be resolved anyway, or if it is, it will be in an irrelevant sketchbook five years later, by wind  time you've forgotten about it.
Regards,
Kamose

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2013, 03:55:32 »
Personaly I found Freebirth and Falcon Rising to be enjoyable. Yes its all about Jade Falcons but least Thurston writes about them well. I can't image any other author that could had been able to give justice to Jade Falcons. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2013, 04:04:47 »
I would agree - I found his Falcon books to be some of the best of the whole lot.  I just don't think they are central to the TorC storyline the OP was asking about.  Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Kamose
« Last Edit: 14 September 2013, 04:12:59 by Kamose »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2013, 04:11:41 »
Oh, I enjoyed Thurston's books for the most part.  But Freebirth and Falcon Rising don't really add anything to the overall Twilight of the Clans storyline - while Rossou Howell is a character in Freebirth, his characterisation is inconsistent with his appearances in the other books, even taking his extenuating circumstances in Freebirth into account - which is why I said Sibko Sebecean could probably skip them and miss nothing.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

RAW

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2013, 04:15:26 »
yeah...i really enjoyed twilight of the clans series..however i always felt that a lot of the plot was rushed and simplified....and just not as complex of an arc as the invasion...I would also agree that there are huge inconsistancies with Smoke Jaguar characters and the Smoke Jaguars as a whole...I personally wish the Smoke Jags never got annihilated...to me...they were true clanners..even if they were ruthless. Also not to mention...to be such a strong and powerful clan the had to smart and resourceful and good at what they did...however at every turn they were complete idiots about everything they did. I personally just didn't agree with how the were portrayed.

Sibko Sebacean

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2013, 15:08:03 »
Personaly I found Freebirth and Falcon Rising to be enjoyable. Yes its all about Jade Falcons but least Thurston writes about them well. I can't image any other author that could had been able to give justice to Jade Falcons.

Considering the fact that the last book i read was the one in which Aidan died...

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2013, 17:59:23 »
The First book sets up the setting of the whole series, as well as several main charachters, and the primary reason the Smoke Jaguars are chosen.

The Second and Third books set up Task Force Serpent and Bulldog, and describe the politics, the problems, and in one case a battle with a completly different Clan en route.

Four sets up the problems between Falcons and Jaguars, continuing the previous Falcon charachters storylines: it’s sorta a filler and technically while it has a connection to the series it’s shouldn’t be included IMO.

Five is the invasion of Huntress, and Six is the conculsion of that battle: including the reinforcements on both sides.

Seven is the aftermath of Task Force Serpent as well as the arrival of the Task Forces at the homeworlds and the final battle on Strana Mechty.

Book Eight is the final Jade Falcon book and describes Diana Pryde’s rise to fame, the Steel Viper war with the Falcons, and honestly doesnt belong in the series.

To answer your original question: technically no as you can skip both 4 and 8 and get the facts, possibly even dropping 1 as well. However IMO you should read the entire series and make your own decision. Also always read the entire series, expand your library!!!!

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2013, 08:44:09 »
It’s been a while for me, but I found the series a bit unsatisfying.  The whole plot was telegraphed early in the first book, which left me wondering why I needed to read through 8 books to get there.  At least the Smoke Jaguars could have put up a heck of a fight to justify 8 books (the initial invasion, where nearly a quarter of the IS is taken, only took 3 you may recall).  It just seemed like so much filler with no surprises.  Even the appearance of the protomechs didn’t really add anything.  It went something like: Huntress is invaded; protomechs appear, surprising the Huntress forces, who then promptly kill them all.  It would have been better for the Huntress invaders to get crushed and have VSD bail out the survivors. 

I also have a problem with the Great Refusal.  As you may recall a Trial of Refusal was fought and lost by the Wolves prior to the invasion. 

But yes you should read the whole thing. 

Oh and I’ll give the Smoke Jaguars this.  They know showmanship.  Get off the stage at a high point and leave the audience wanting more.  Don’t stick around long enough that people are ready for you to leave.  They left the BTU when the clans were at the height of their power.  That’s how they have to be remembered, pure clan at their best.  No mongols, IS pretenders (Alaric I’m looking at you), etc.

blackwizards

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2013, 23:45:38 »

Freebirth was the very first Battletech novel I ever read. I understood what was going on enough to enjoy it and read more Battletech novels.

Tiberius Weaver

• Recruit
  • We are the SmokeJaguars
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2013, 15:16:48 »
I loved the 1st,3,5,8,9,10,11,12 O0 i had a hard time getting  threw 2,6,and 7 :-\ if i could find all them again from my older brother to read them i would them all over.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2013, 19:40:32 »
Do i have to read all of those books in order for a satisfying experience?

I guess what it really comes down to is what are you looking for.

The 8-book series as mentioned covers a large # of topics.

As mentioned 2 of the 8 are mostly a continuation of Jade Phoenix.

The remaining 6 cover the death of the Jaguars but from different angles.
You have the prep-work of the SLDF
Operation Bulldog section from the DC into the Jag OZ.
The Task Force Serpent trip to Huntress & initial Invasion of Huntress.
Then you have the counter invasion of Huntress by the Jags, the rejoining of part of the BullDog forces that came later & finally the Great Refusal.

The Falcon books are about 90% separate from the other 6 with only few overlapping areas.
The remaining 6 "could" be broke into parts I suppose but really they form a fairly solid sequence of mostly connected stories.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register