Author Topic: Cruiser Aurora Towed to Khronstadt for renovation  (Read 2815 times)

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
Cruiser Aurora Towed to Khronstadt for renovation
« on: 21 September 2014, 09:53:45 »
This old man of war, a veteran of the October REvolution and, before that, of the Battle of Tsushima of which it was one of the few Russian surviving ships, os to be renovated in the Khronstadt naval shipyards. Here is a lunk to a nice video of her departure, and a picture of that day.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45NA2LtlKI

Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Re: Cruiser Aurora Towed to Khronstadt for renovation
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2014, 10:04:56 »
Very cool!

Grey hull and superstructure, with green under the waterline...what era is this scheme from?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2014, 13:09:49 »
Well, I think it must be the WW1 Baltic Fleet livery to which the Aurora belonged. At the time of Tsushima, it was painted a dark grey, with funnels painted a bright yellow with a black top like the rest of Rojestvensky's force
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2014, 13:42:29 »
Very few ships of that era still afloat. Glad to see it is getting some love and repairs. Just wish they would do that for the USS Olympia in Philly.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2014, 14:54:37 »
Nice that they are going to fix it up vs going to the scrap heap.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2014, 10:46:08 »
She's a ship that has been part of her nation's soul. Aurora, Victory, Constitution, Mikasa, are the great warships of history. I'd like to see them all at some point.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2014, 12:36:54 »
She's a ship that has been part of her nation's soul. Aurora, Victory, Constitution, Mikasa, are the great warships of history. I'd like to see them all at some point.

Same for me, though I already saw HMS Victory on Portsmouth. My only regret is that I didn't have ime to visit Warrior as well on the same occurence.

Very few ships of that era still afloat. Glad to see it is getting some love and repairs. Just wish they would do that for the USS Olympia in Philly.

What's happening there? I can't believe she'd be in any danger of being dismantled?

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2014, 13:37:30 »
Nice picture! O0

It is odd to see a cruiser so small compared with the tugs next to her. It shows how much has shipbuilding advanced, one of the biggest ships of that era looks small next to a normal tug.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2014, 17:22:20 »
Bear in mind that she is only a cruiser, not a battleship.  Tugs are also bigger than you would expect.  They have to move very big things around.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2014, 17:23:39 »
Its a great picture.  I'm glad they managed to be able get funding to have Aurora get proper refit.  I heard they thicken her hull quite a bit last time which added to her longevity.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2014, 17:39:20 »
Not many ships of that era left - the Aurora, the USS Olympia (currently under threat of being scuttled, being 50 years overdue for dry-dock maintenance on the hull), the Georgi Azeroff in Greece (still commissioned as a museum ship), and I believe there's a Japanese Tsushima veteran still existing, but I can't recall the name ...

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2014, 19:37:18 »
...and I believe there's a Japanese Tsushima veteran still existing, but I can't recall the name ...

Battleship Mikasa.

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2014, 19:45:51 »
Jutland vetren HMS Caroline is being refited in Belfast.
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2014, 22:22:48 »
Awesome picture
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2014, 00:11:34 »
USS Olympia was up for offer to museums in North Carolina and California. both fell through and the Navy has offered to allow the Seaport Museum in Philly to either sink the ship as a reef or scrap it. The Navy wants to sink no money into it at all. the Seaport Museum is seeking funds for a drydocking but things do not look well at this point. Its listed as one of the most endangered historical places at the moment but I don't see any federal money making its way toward it unless it sinks where it is. samn shame too as only a few miles down river are some unused drydocks they could just put the ship in to get it out of the water.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2014, 06:56:11 »
USS Olympia was up for offer to museums in North Carolina and California. both fell through and the Navy has offered to allow the Seaport Museum in Philly to either sink the ship as a reef or scrap it. The Navy wants to sink no money into it at all. the Seaport Museum is seeking funds for a drydocking but things do not look well at this point. Its listed as one of the most endangered historical places at the moment but I don't see any federal money making its way toward it unless it sinks where it is. samn shame too as only a few miles down river are some unused drydocks they could just put the ship in to get it out of the water.

The Navy shouldn't need to put money into it, Navy is about building and maintaining current capability, and if yours is anything like ours, those dollars don't make ends meet for the important stuff, let alone museum pieces.

It's the historical societies and government publicity agencies who should be paying for maintenance of USS Olympia, not the USN.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2014, 08:24:12 »
  [copper]
  Ahem.  Guys, more about the coolness of preserved warships, and a lot less about which government departments should pay for what, hmm?  Rule #4, and all.
  / [copper]

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2014, 08:35:03 »
I hope something can be done in saving the USS Olympia, it would be a shame something isn't done.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2014, 10:15:05 »
I hope something can be done in saving the USS Olympia, it would be a shame something isn't done.

Agreed. I'm glad I got to see her one last time (just in case) over the summer. So fun to compare the Olympia to the New Jersey across the river. Neat to see the difference in naval technology from 1892 to 1942. Quite the 50 year leap.  O0
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2014, 13:54:48 »
Indeed. I was not aware of Olympia's situation, let's hope it can be eventually preserved. When I visit teh USA eventually, it will be on my to see list.  :)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2014, 16:09:36 »
There is also the USS Texas, a New York class battleship built just before WW1.  It's been upgraded a few times.