Author Topic: Alpha Strike 'Mech of the Week: VL-** Vulcan  (Read 11407 times)

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Re: Alpha Strike 'Mech of the Week: VL-** Vulcan
« Reply #30 on: 30 June 2015, 13:37:33 »
That's definitely an article to look forward to. I definitely lurves me some arty. 8)

I'm also a fan of direct-fire shots, though I prefer SPGs in that role. Much more durable.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 30 June 2015, 19:17:21 »
We saw the 0* damage nomenclature on the Vanquisher's IF Special], and it makes the Vulcan look even more anemic.  That's the AC/2 on the -2T, incapable of doing even half a point of damage in Alpha Strike.  The saving grace of a 0* damage is that it doesn't actually raise the PV of the unit that has it.  Small favors.  Even with the potential for backshots, the Vulcan -2T gets a pitiful D for armament (and only then because the Charger -1A1 and Wasp -1W exist).

Can some explain the 0* damage to an Alpha Strike newbie?  What, you can only do long range damage under certain conditions?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 30 June 2015, 19:42:16 »
0* in Alpha Strike nomenclature means that you can do damage inconsistently at the range which has that as a damage value.  On a successful attack, you roll 1d6.  On a 4, 5, or 6, you do 1 point of damage.  If you're using the Variable Damage rule in the Companion, you do 1 damage on a 5 or 6.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #33 on: 30 June 2015, 23:52:54 »
I should note that the errata had a mistake in it (now corrected): Long Range 0* is worth the same as Short Range: 0.5 points (half the chance to hit, half the regular value).  All units with such a value have always had their PV calculated that way, so there's no changes other than my errata post edit.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0