Author Topic: New Raven Hero Mech  (Read 5129 times)

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
New Raven Hero Mech
« on: 01 April 2014, 11:57:41 »
Per new public server test; Raven Hero. 4 Ballistics, 2 Missiles, 2 JJ, and a 300 engine cap.

Sounds interesting. I do wish it had at least 1 energy slot for TAG, but at least NARC is possible.

Jayof9s

• Captain
Re: New Raven Hero Mech
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2014, 12:04:27 »
That... seems like a questionable weapon load for a light 'Mech.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2014, 14:25:18 »
thus begins the inevitable metabuild game "how many AC5's can we cram in this thing"...

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2014, 15:59:10 »
Another machine gun ankle biting bugger?

I really need those precision ammunition for my AC 20

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2014, 16:41:06 »
thus begins the inevitable metabuild game "how many AC5's can we cram in this thing"...

I did the math, you would have to drop the engine below a 200 XL or take out half it's armor to get 2 AC5's and more than 1 ton of ammo. It already has Endo, Ferro, DHS's so... pulling everything else doesn't leave you with much.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2014, 16:45:51 »
I'd probably go with something like this if I had this cool looking mech.

Raven - Huginn

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2014, 17:08:32 »

Raven - Huginn

I think you forgot mgun ammo.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2014, 17:10:55 »
I think your right ;) Drop the engine rating a little, add the ammo. It's not like we need the big engine to fit in more heat sinks :P or put in the streak launchers and REALLY load up on the ammo XD

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2014, 17:15:16 »

Raven - Huginn

Unless I'm blind, I don't see any ammo for all those machine guns.

The mech is pretty sexy looking, though.

Edit; Oops, sorry, I'm slow. Working.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2014, 17:21:12 by IAMCLANWOLF »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2014, 23:24:47 »
I did the math, you would have to drop the engine below a 200 XL or take out half it's armor to get 2 AC5's and more than 1 ton of ammo. It already has Endo, Ferro, DHS's so... pulling everything else doesn't leave you with much.
hey, i've seen people cram a n AC-20 or gauss rifle on a raven before..
« Last Edit: 02 April 2014, 12:24:22 by glitterboy2098 »

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2014, 01:57:17 »
I think that Raven won't need much "modifying" by players... as a choice you may swap the SRM 6 for:
* SSRM 2 and BAP
* NARC

take SRM 4s and AMS instead of the SSRM2 and SRM6 - but the Machine Guns have to stay....maybe with lots of good will - and reduction of speed -you can add a single AC 2 + some SRM 2 and Machine Guns....but at least in this combination you don't need a Hero Mech - you can take the C-Bill raven with 2 ballistic slots and JJs.

I really like the way PGI is going with there "new" Mechs.... the Champion Mechs are "real" builds - high effective

SubtleAsAHammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2014, 09:16:56 »
I have not tried the new Raven but the Hunchback, Stalker and Victor Champion models are neat. O0
" We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it  with our babies." Iron Maiden

"Scream in Despair for Mankind." Bolt Thrower

"Cry Havoc and let loose the Dogs of War." W S

"World Zone Kill, Annihilate Mankind, No Last Offensive, All Resistance Ceased ." Bolt Thrower from The Killchain & Pride

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2014, 10:46:36 »
I'm not as happy with my Grid Iron :( I haven't been able to do anything special with it.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2014, 11:28:00 »
I really like the way PGI is going with there "new" Mechs.... the Champion Mechs are "real" builds - high effective

Hmm...I feel the exact opposite. Almost all Champions are too expensive for me to cost justify. All of the new Hero chassis have been the exact same recipe; remove THE defining characteristic of said mech, give some odd gimmicky slots, and slap on a hero title. Lame. Lastly, the Banshee has no appeal to me. It feels so blasted generic. Rushed out the door, just to make PGI some extra money. I miss the days when it actually felt like they were 'trying' when it came to new rides... :-\ 

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #14 on: 02 April 2014, 15:57:13 »
-the Banshee has no appeal to me. It feels so blasted generic. Rushed out the door, just to make PGI some extra money. I miss the days when it actually felt like they were 'trying' when it came to new rides... :-\

yeah, the Banshee's already a fairly generic 'mech and the lack of melee attacks in the game combined with the conglomerated art style detracting from its signature details (kinda hard to make a death's head look when you've already got one and you're giving them both the same squished into the torso element) weren't exactly kind. the heavy element reuse doesn't help much. part of battletech's charm for me has always been "a mech for every style preference, and a style for every 'mech" and the art for MWO and recent TROs to a lesser extent have gotten pretty homogenized.

i'd like them to pull back on releasing 'mechs at the rate they do and instead put a focus on making better maps and releasing 'mechs when they have a good design instead of pushing for the "new toy!" money grab.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2014, 16:40:27 »
...and releasing 'mechs when they have a good design instead of pushing for the "new toy!" money grab.

Seyla!

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2014, 16:48:59 »
Hmm...I feel the exact opposite. Almost all Champions are too expensive for me to cost justify. All of the new Hero chassis have been the exact same recipe; remove THE defining characteristic of said mech, give some odd gimmicky slots, and slap on a hero title. Lame. Lastly, the Banshee has no appeal to me. It feels so blasted generic. Rushed out the door, just to make PGI some extra money. I miss the days when it actually felt like they were 'trying' when it came to new rides... :-\

Same.  My remaining lancemate enjoys his BNC-3S.  I've been tempted to try the 3M...but with the grind to earn c-bills what it is, I'm holding off.  After purchasing and modding all 3 Tbolts and 3 SHawks (and keeping none, though I enjoyed them) and a GRF-1N and WVR-7K recently, I've blown through a large portion of my Cbills.  I'm curious to see what the Vindicator will be, but I have fears that I'll be disappointed once again.  The FS9-A for MC was...well, a waste.  But as I don't plan on spending any more real cash on MWO, got to do something with it I suppose.  FFS PGI, how about releasing House schemes/colors already...while you fix all the year+ bugs.

I've got two free mech bays and nothing really interesting me at the moment.

Add to that MWO gameplay is stale and boring.  Same crap/grind over and over...until  you find the enemy team has 8 ECM (its own argument for utter fail) and you have none and at least 4 LRM based mechs on your team.   Or the reverse...stomps in my favor are just as lame.

And I do not feel like grinding for cash and 3 mechs for elite and master any longer.

WoT is way more entertaining, as I've discovered in the past 2 months.

Some of the recent mech releases appear to make use recylced components from previous releases and the scaling is still way off for most of the designs.

Sad and maddening...back to "K-town" the "Island" or whatever it is with the other "haters".
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2014, 17:33:58 »
...nothing really interesting me at the moment.

Ayep...I've got three favorites that I run. Everything else is unappealing, at the moment.

...you find the enemy team has 8 ECM (its own argument for utter fail) and you have none and at least 4 LRM based mechs on your team.   Or the reverse...stomps in my favor are just as lame.

The 12-2, or 12-3 games seem to be a lot more common in the last two weeks.

WoT is way more entertaining, as I've discovered in the past 2 months.

I'm obsessed with Batteltech, and MWO is the best we've got. I don't play anything else. Period.

Sad and maddening...

It is frustrating. Certainly other PvP games have better development teams. And the fact that mech scale is all over the charts-- bugs the living daylights out of me. As do a lot of other little things. Honestly though, I still play it, because it's fun on multiple levels. Hopefully, things will continue to improve. Mostly the trend has been good. Although, recently things have digressed, a little... :(

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2014, 19:52:59 »
Ayep...I've got three favorites that I run. Everything else is unappealing, at the moment.

The 12-2, or 12-3 games seem to be a lot more common in the last two weeks.

I'm obsessed with Batteltech, and MWO is the best we've got. I don't play anything else. Period.

It is frustrating. Certainly other PvP games have better development teams. And the fact that mech scale is all over the charts-- bugs the living daylights out of me. As do a lot of other little things. Honestly though, I still play it, because it's fun on multiple levels. Hopefully, things will continue to improve. Mostly the trend has been good. Although, recently things have digressed, a little... :(

Twenty or so years ago you might say I was obsessed with Battletech as well.  I did have SFB in my gaming life as well, but as my brother put it, every thing else was practically in the way of us spending time on Battletech related things.

As I've acquired "wisdom" with age, I've learned variety is the spice of life...in moderation, lol.

WoT is not with out its issues...arty seems to be ridiculous more often than realistic and I've witnessed enough WTF moments to believe a bit more in the "Russki Bias", but the game is much more challenging/rewarding and most importantly FUN than MWO is.

PGI is about the worst developer I have ever seen.  I believe there are some truly talented people working on this game, but they must be overruled/shadowed by some truly incompetent...well, @$$es.

One step forward and about 3 or 5 backwards it seems.  The Catapult and Hunchback "mods" to their appearances with weapon loadouts are LAUGHABLY BAD as well as pathetic and amateurish.   Can't wait to see what happens to my Trebuchets...

IMO,there are to many "little things" that are wrong in addition to bigger issues like mech scaling, ECM, light mechs in general, hit detection, no in-game voip, matchmaking...etc.

The Clans should have never been considered until several years down the road...but gotta have another "money grab".  Pathetic.

The Phoenix mechs, I applauded but would not spend money on them after way too many disappointments. 

With other options available, I do not think this game will last beyond this year, if that long.

To me, PGI is a mirror of what is happening in society today.  Lots of hype and promises, little or no actual delivery and almost no, if any accountability...all at the expense of others.

TF2 is still going strong and remains incredibly fun.  WoT is addictingly fun.  And I still enjoy the hell out of Halo Reach and Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates.

You should try something else, you might like it.  WH40K material is a joy to read, but I have no interest in playing the game.  DP9s Heavy Gear is also something I enjoy reading despite have only played the game a few times in the 90s.   

But to each their own.

I still enjoy Battletech the most, though my time to do so dwindles more each passing day.   Some of the products like XTROs (especially the Primitives), Historicals and rule updates are simply excellent and those involved have my thanks and appreciation.

I've pretty much given up on minis, largely in part to the quality of most, not all of what is/has been released the past 5 years.  I still have a vast collection, but I'm actually considering selling it off.  MegaMek is much more fun and timely than throwing dice and pushing lead at this point in my life...especially if everyone still gets together at the table with laptops instead of tomes, minis, maps, sheets and pencils. 

Not sure how I managed to run campaigns with 8+ players and controlling 20+ mechs/units on the board all by myself as GM/OPFOR back in the 80s, 90s and early 00s.   :o

Good times, but long past.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2014, 22:20:54 by Burning Chrome »
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 03 April 2014, 00:04:53 »
[copper] Stop the Thread Drift!  [copper]

Does anyone have this Raven yet? it looks like it has Celtic lines.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2014, 09:12:28 »
Does anyone have this Raven yet? it looks like it has Celtic lines.

I hit up Smurfy, but was unable to find a build worthy of dropping real world cash on this one. I don't know. I spent quite a while attempting to dream up something creative. Something that would allow this chassis to be effective. I came up with nil. Maybe you guys can find something inventive? Shame too, since I love the Raven, and like I said earlier; this one looks really slick.

...is a mirror of what is happening in society today.  Lots of hype and promises, little or not actual delivery and almost no, if any accountability...all at the expense of others.

Where is the 'like' button?

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 03 April 2014, 10:00:29 »
I hit up Smurfy, but was unable to find a build worthy of dropping real world cash on this one. I don't know. I spent quite a while attempting to dream up something creative. Something that would allow this chassis to be effective. I came up with nil. Maybe you guys can find something inventive? Shame too, since I love the Raven, and like I said earlier; this one looks really slick.

Yeah, I have trouble imaging how you can make 4 ballistics and 2 missile hardpoints effective on a 35 ton design. It is also disappointing that it can't use ECM. Ravens just don't feel complete with out the electronics (and yes, I know 2 of the 3 other variants also can't use it).

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 03 April 2014, 10:15:50 »
...It is also disappointing that it can't use ECM. Ravens just don't feel complete with out the electronics (and yes, I know 2 of the 3 other variants also can't use it).

Agreed. I was chatting with the small group of friends I regularly drop with, making this same point. I think that PGI should have bit the bullet, and allowed the Hero Raven to mount an ECM suite. The weapons hard-points are already weak. As it is, it's lacking some shiny spot to make it a good purchase.   

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 03 April 2014, 12:03:19 »
I totally agree with the earlier statement that an Energy Hardpoint would have made a big difference in this mech.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 03 April 2014, 14:06:39 »
I totally agree with the earlier statement that an Energy Hardpoint would have made a big difference in this mech.

That would be nice too. Even just one energy hardpoint would have made a big difference.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #25 on: 07 April 2014, 06:34:12 »
  A max-armoured light ’Mech, that can keep pace with a Locust, and has quad MGs (for close-range spray-and-pray/crit-seeking) and room for a pair of LRM-5s (for long-range bombardment/trolling)?  Heck, the only complaint I have about the Huginn is that I can’t actually buy the thing!  :'(  (I won’t pay for MC, and it’s not available for C-bills.  [metalhealth])

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 07 April 2014, 10:25:18 »
Seyla.

Register