Author Topic: Hex Mats  (Read 4143 times)

GameThesisOn

• Recruit
Hex Mats
« on: 06 February 2014, 10:46:17 »
Hello everyone! I've been playing BT for about 12 years now (with much down time) and I'm into the game development side of things now and I'm having a serious issue finding what it is I need.
I'm looking for 1" hexes, and a mat that is at least 75 hexes long and 25 hexes wide.
The major problem I'm finding is that every one prints these maps, so that the straight path (hex connected by the sides) are running the shorter distance of the mat.
I've looked at Chessex, Noble Knight, Monday Pro, and I can't find anything anywhere. Any ideas?

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
Re: Hex Mats
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2014, 10:54:06 »
First of all, welcome to the boards.  There are great guys and gals here who love to share what they've picked up over the years and also love to see what others are doing.  I appreciate their inputs and observations.

Have you considered Hotzmat?  Here's a link to a previous thread: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,25009.0.html

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but it might be in the same park.

Happy hunting,
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Nine_Iron88

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2014, 20:56:46 »
I would also second Hotz Mats.  If they don't have exactly what you're looking for they can make custom mats, so you should easily be able to get the dimensions and style you want.  Be advised though, sometimes their shipping takes a while.  It took about 3 months for my order to come in.  Great product and I'm very satisfied with it however.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."  -Aleksandr Kerensky

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2014, 08:08:25 »
Frontline gaming recently did a kickstarter for large mousepad mats with terrain printed on them.  They were intended for 40k, but would work for Alphastrike.  If only they could overlay a hex grid on them and mark levels, they would be awesome for BT.

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2014, 11:39:19 »
Break From Reality Games just did a KS called GripMat that supports hex-gridded mats of various mat sizes, grid sizes and backgrounds.
"Everything starts as someone's daydream." -- Larry Niven

MM Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/megamek/_list/tickets

MHQ Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/_list/tickets

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2014, 11:24:10 »
I have a 4' by 6' Monday Knight Productions matt with 1.5 inch hexes that run
the long way as the OP described .

Currently I only see 1.5 and 2 inch hex sizes available on their site though .

If you call or Email them they might be able to run of a 1 inch hex matt for you .

Hotz mats makes some nice stuff but good luck getting ahold of them .
I wanted to buy some roads from them a while back and just gave up .

GameThesisOn

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2014, 14:53:12 »
I actually e-mailed Hozmats and they don't print hexes under 1.5". However, they said they would look and see if they have a press large enough to print what it is I'm looking for and would get back with me later. Other then that, still no success. Thank you all for your help =]

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2014, 15:59:38 »
Litko sells 1" hex stencils 1ft x 1ft for $25. You could buy one and make your own mats...

Kommando

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sweet justice!
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2014, 22:02:59 »
I would advise against HotzMats. He sent me the wrong mats and then just stopped responding.

Monday Knight Productions have a good rep. Try them.
What avarice!

Field Agent #522
Battletech in Brisbane, Australia.