Author Topic: The enviroment of Capra  (Read 918 times)

SinclairRangers

• Corporal
The enviroment of Capra
« on: 25 June 2014, 03:38:27 »
Would some one please point me in the correct direction.  I've searched a few places for planetary  conditions for Capra in 3039. Besides being arid sparsely populated not many mineral resources there is not much. also the solar system data would be a nice direction to go also.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: The enviroment of Capra
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2014, 03:45:02 »
Unfortunately, there isn't much to say. It's one of those planets that does not have much written on it. What you have there is pretty much it.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2014, 03:51:07 »
The Wasp LAM entry in TRO3025 mentions landing fields on Capra (as of 3017).

For what it's worth, Capra is repeatedly mentioned in Wolves on the Border as one of the worlds garrisoned by Wolf's Dragoons. No planetary data given or inferred in the novel though.

Some coverage is found in the War of 3039 sourcebook: Capra is "little more than a rock in space with a few scattered mining colonies", the largest being New Cassandra which is also the seat of the government and the "heart of the industry". Trading towns are mentioned besides the mining settlements. An "airfield outside of Kirit" is mentioned, suggesting Kirit to be a major city or colony some 200 kilometers from New Cassandra.
Militia battalions are mentioned, most of them infantry, which to me suggests a breathable atmosphere.

Starterbook: Sword and Dragon contains a Touchpoint: Capra, where a DCMS supply depot comes under pirate attack in 3048. The world is (again) explicitly called unimportant. A place named Paulo Bay and a place named Fort Jinjiro are mentioned on Capra.
Warchest rules include "+200 Tangled Forests", and a miniatures diorama image on p. 78 captioned as a scene on Capra shows a rocky slide with green bushes and trees. This, and the lack of special rules or other information to the contrary, seems to indicate an open environment and a breathable atmosphere.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2014, 04:23:02 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

SinclairRangers

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2014, 16:36:51 »
Thank you. So basically, As long as I keep it Arid  with sparse foliage I can pretty much do what I wish as long as I keep it to my game.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2014, 18:17:54 »
actually given the starterbook thing, i would assume rather dense forests are present.

all in all, it sounds like it would be a fairly reasonable place to live, making the relative lack of people kinda odd. perhaps the planet's ecosystem prevented the spread of terran plants and animals, leading to limited agriculture. or perhaps the place has a sun that's spectrum doesn't lend itself to human life well.

oohh.. make it like greyson in the honor harrington novels. lots of metals and higher density world, with local biology evolved to handle levels of heavy metals and toxic elements that would kill humans and earth life. so human life would struggle without decent tech.. infantry need filter masks when outside to limit intake of heavy metals in the dust, and agriculture on world tends to be non-viable except for carefully controlled greenhouses.

a paradise world of beautiful colors and stunning vista's.. but one where humans can't live unassisted.

but it offers a huge easy access to a wealth of different vital minerals and ores, leading to the creation of a large number of mining centers, and explaining why it is important enough for the DCMS to station a whole regiment there as garrison..