Author Topic: Is it possible to recover old photos off of a flashcard?  (Read 983 times)

StoneRhino

• Captain
Is it possible to recover old photos off of a flashcard?
« on: 21 September 2014, 12:33:38 »

I was wondering if it is possible to recover old photos off of a flashcard. I had some pictures of family gathering about a decade ago, back when the capacity of memory cards were rather small. I ended up deleting some of the pictures because they were not that clear, to dark, to bright, and some just because I needed room.

I know that I had tried to get the pictures back a few years ago, but didn't have much luck using a free program I found on cnet. Some had said that you can only recover what you did not overwrite by using the space on the card that the picture was on.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck doing the same, or knew more about it. some of the relatives that were there are no longer around and one of my cousins might like to have those pictures. I'm trying to undo some of the damage a stupid relative of mine caused by allowing a self storage account go unpaid. >:(

elf25s

• Major
Re: Is it possible to recover old photos off of a flashcard?
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2014, 17:18:56 »
it is possible but as you had said space could not be over ridden or reformated
2 programs i had some luck are by same people thta made cc cleaner and glary utilities browse around those sites you may get lucky
or you may take a pro way of doing it but it may end up costing you couple of hundred bucks and still may not get your pics back...or they may use same programs i just directed you toward and still charge you.

good luck
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2014, 21:28:55 »
You would've had some luck if you had deleted it and not used it afterwards. But if you've used it since then, that data is gone, most likely.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2014, 00:52:09 »
What they said, if you've used the card since then most likely they are gone, the area re-written. The freeware programs work great, I have used them many times without fail. There are professional companies out there that MIGHT be able to recover more but they are very expensive.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2014, 01:19:46 »
What they said, if you've used the card since then most likely they are gone, the area re-written. The freeware programs work great, I have used them many times without fail. There are professional companies out there that MIGHT be able to recover more but they are very expensive.
there are several cheap/free apps that attempt to examine the sectors to see if there are data remnants (or deleted but not overwritten data) these MAY be able to recover something but frankly its unlikely.

professional data recovery companies like ontrack may be able to do more, but I believe they specialize in hard drive data recovery which is a little different.  The last time I worked with them, was ~6 years ago, and they wanted ~$200 just to look at the thing of course that went toward the cost of the actual recovery if you proceeded, but from what I heart the final bill was often in the neighborhood of $1000+

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2014, 23:36:16 »
Okay, so what freeware programs have you guys had luck with so far? I'll give them a shot.

As for the professional route, that would have to be something I'd have to consider later down the road. I haven't used the card in years and I'll just keep it shelved until I can consider shelling out that kind of money.

The reason I asked now was because as I am sure some of you have heard, that certain celebrities have had their accounts hacked. One news or show that I was watching had mentioned how someone had deleted their pictures from their device some time before they were ever hacked, but somehow the pictures were still there. It had something to do with the files being deleted, but that the individual sectors had not actually been overwritten. It made me think that perhaps some of the deleted bbq pics were "deleted" but their sectors never used as I doubt I had ever filled the card up completely after the deletion. Maybe it used part of the space of the deleted files but not all?

At the very least it is worth a shot. I don't have any copies of the old pics of these few relatives and in the past couple of years there have been 2 incidents that destroyed a good number of old family pics. one stupid relative was given a lot of the pictures, which went into a self storage space. This idiot is the last person you'd want to have such a thing, but for some reason it managed that they ended up with them. The person then lost the account and the contents of the storage was either trashed or sold off. Around the same time some other relatives were moving and somehow managed to have their uhaul trailer start on fire destroying the pictures that they had. All of the old pics are likely all gone making the few digital, possibly hidden on my card, the only surviving pictures of these relatives. Considering I didn't know him it is odd for me to say my Grandfather, whom I met a total of 2 times, one being at this bbq. As for the stupid relative that lost the self storage, technically she is my aunt, but shes a disgusting scam artist who I do not wish to be associated with.

I know that I have a cd with copies of the pictures from the bbq, but at that point in time I was just starting to learn about computers on windows ME. I didn't know anything about encryption, which led me to decide to see what it did. I ended up deciding to use the encryption option on the folder and I think some of the files. When I put in my password it would allow me to use the file like normal. I didn't think anything of it as I had the files on the family computer and this cd that worked. That was until someone decided to try installing windows xp on it. I ended up having to fix that mess, which meant deleting windows ME off of the HD. With it went the encryption key, which I had no idea what it was, or that such existed, and that I could have made a backup of it to use on another computer and my cd. I thought that stuff had been built into the cd. That leaves me with a flashcard with most likely deleted copies, and a cd with copies that are encrypted with no means of recovering the encryption key though I have a copy of ME and the old computer, a stupid relative losing the self storage and a burning u-haul, with a dead partridge in a pear tree.  >:(

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2014, 06:20:44 »
I did a quick google search for data recovery apps (free)
and one of the results went to:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/best-free-recovery-software-1141256

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_data_recovery_software

needless to say its just a sampling of whats out there