Author Topic: Much maligned mechs  (Read 6719 times)

Breetai

• Sergeant
Re: Much maligned mechs
« Reply #30 on: 17 October 2014, 15:37:31 »
...unless you really want that second SRM to hit reliably, and don't want to lose the flexibility a Streak system would cost you.

The ton that you spent on the artemis could be used to add another standard launcher. You could then reliably hit with twice the missiles even if you were using specialty munitions rather than having to cart around pricy artemis rounds for a minor percentage upgrade in missile hit chance.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #31 on: 17 October 2014, 16:43:07 »
I know I mention this mech a good deal but a maligned mech I enjoy is the ancient Hussar.   It's paper thin armor makes it a death trap in a pick up game but given a chance to actually do it's job like it's fluff originally stated, it is a wonderful machine of an older age.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Aposiopesis

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 18 October 2014, 10:46:16 »
Stinger/Wasp: No matter what typical rule you use to balance, these things rank crazy low and are easy to take. Don't give a crap about their gunnery; throw a pilot with decent piloting skills into these and they're a cheap nuisance. Keep them out of the thick of things and sneak them around to annoy things that need to be annoyed.

Charger: It's less than 1k BV, well armored, and kicks for 16. Physical attacks go a very long way in Introtech, as does armor, lack of explosives, and 5/8 speed. It's funny how much the fluff rags on this thing given how insanely effective it can be against things same speed or slower than it. The ultimate zombie kicker. I have much less defense for the -1L, though it's still affordable.

Assassin: The loadout is pure crap, but on the other hand, it keeps the BV low. A 7 jump that kicks for 8 in Introtech is pretty useful.

Blackjack: The plink makes you want to close. The 4 medium lasers at below 1k BV makes it painful. Also great at keeping aeros at bay. One of the actual decent implementations of the AC2. A lance of these things is extremely irritating to deal with.

Rifleman: It explodes easy and it runs hot, but it brings a pretty decent amount of firepower for an affordable BV. It can deliver good results if you keep things from shooting at it too much.

Hellbringer/Loki: If you can keep things from shooting at it, it can do quite well. And it can do nasty things to the IS. It's a stinker in Zell, though.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #33 on: 18 October 2014, 13:55:00 »
The Quickdraw: fast for a heavy in it era, the 5a is nice.  However the bog standard quickdarw, makes for a nice platform.  Keep it jumping from cover to cover, and dump it rather anemic Lrm battery until the ammo is expended, then keep to the enemy 6, and fire medium lasers, and srm 4.  The variant with the 4 medium lasers in the front was rather nice.  Also use cover to screen one axis of fire from enemy units. 

Assassin:  like anyone else I hated the assassin not a bad little harasser in all honesty.  Keep jumping, use it missiles and stay out of easy fire arcs.  Assassin are great against conventional forces, with the right ammo load. 

Clint:  6/9/6 mover with a AC/5.  Light on the armor department, but keep it moving, and fire away with the AC/5 .  Putting a veteran MechWarrior in the clint was rather interesting.  Not exactly the best at fighting other mechs unless it’ fighting one with equal or lesser weight.  Against bigger mechs do not get into slugging matches.  I use the PPC clint much the same way.

The Panther:  much hated.  Decent armor (more than the clint).  Jump jets, plus PPC allows it to work great as a sniper, best used in teams.    I fell in love with the 8Z it can jump, fire its large laser, and keep at it all day long.

These 4 work nicely for me.  The Assassin and Quickdraw are killer with charging attacks.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company