Author Topic: Mech grudge match for real : Mark II vs Kuratas!  (Read 5083 times)

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
Mech grudge match for real : Mark II vs Kuratas!
« on: 01 July 2015, 10:25:01 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

Looking forward for this!

And need I precise it? Go Mark II!!!  O0
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: Mech grudge match for real : Mark II vs Kuratas!
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2015, 11:06:35 »
Life just keeps getting more interesting.

I remember reading about JSDF ordering some 3000 Kuratas, but I don't trust my memory. Do I remember right?
« Last Edit: 01 July 2015, 11:30:24 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2015, 11:49:20 »
No, Matti, you're right. Various European governments have also sent Memorandums Of Interest for the Mark II, but this stuff is still very hush hush, so I am not at liberty to discuss it any further ;)
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2015, 17:57:43 »
They're just finalising their teams of angst-ridden teenagers to pilot them ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2015, 19:04:51 »
The question is, will Suidobashi H.I. accept?
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2015, 19:27:50 »
I liked the Kurata's response "We need melee combat!!"
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2015, 19:44:32 »
i've seen some people saying "The karatas will need a bunch of modifications for melee".. um.. actually no, because it's already got "power claw" options for the arms..

it's the 'megabot' which will need major mods.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2015, 19:46:44 by glitterboy2098 »

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2015, 19:49:58 »
Power Claws PFFFT. it should get piston-powered punches! >:D
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2015, 20:00:19 »
I would settle for rocket punchs.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2015, 20:13:28 »
I would settle for rocket punchs.
I was being realistic heh. Hmmmm. Catridge powered punch. closest to rocket punch without paying more. Won't shoot like rocket punch though.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2015, 21:06:37 »
 [drool] Can't wait
 [drool] Live action Patlabor
 [drool] Live action BattleTech
 [drool] [drool] [drool]

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2015, 21:11:21 »
Hmm, the beginning of Robotjocks?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2015, 21:18:42 »
well, you know both groups are gonna make sure to televise the whole affair (the megabot people want to make a robot fighting league so clearly this is a step towards the publicity needed to build such.. and the Kuratas could always use the extra PR to help sell them. especially if Suidobashi H.I. can spin the footage of the Kuratas fighting into something to sell the mecha to different users.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2015, 23:19:57 »
i've seen some people saying "The karatas will need a bunch of modifications for melee".. um.. actually no, because it's already got "power claw" options for the arms..

it's the 'megabot' which will need major mods.

I don't know. The Megabot's major issues is that it needs more armor around the cockpit. However, the Megabot is going to be harder to push to the ground since it's better centered to ground from what I can tell thanks to its treads. But yeah, it needs to have some form of melee weapon other than punch.

I suggest in honor of the tradition of Battletech that someone tell them that it needs a big hatchet or axe. Also, it's easier to swing a axe than wield a sword especially like a katana.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2015, 23:21:24 »
Also, we must remember that this fight is also the first time that someone will have a mech duell in real life.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #16 on: 07 July 2015, 00:10:39 »
There's another discussion about this in general discussions called ," they better call it Mackie"
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #17 on: 07 July 2015, 10:35:57 »
Awesome!!! They are even calling them Mechwarriors.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #18 on: 07 July 2015, 12:35:06 »
I liked the Kurata's response "We need melee combat!!"

Likely because Japan has very, very strict firearms laws that would be prohibitive for an individual to design and build a weapon for robot combat.  The Mk II has essentially a giant pneumatic potato gun.  From what i've read about Japan's firearms laws, even building that would present legal challenges. 

SHI also doesn't want the MK II's paintball gun in play because the Kurutas is operated by HUD.  Obscuring the camera lens would essentially blind the operator, whereas the MegaBots team has already started testing being shot with their own weapon.  Their solution to paint blind?  Wipe your goggles.

Both robots are demonstration pieces used in controlled situations.  How they fight, and just as importantly where will be really important.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2015, 22:55:23 »
say SHI got a tip, Windscreen Wipers and a big tank of Wiper Fluid

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2015, 00:27:56 »
Would probably look like someone smeared a giant bug across the screen  :Jumpy:

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2015, 00:35:35 »
not if you get some 4WD flow going on the wiper fluid (hence the big tank, say 20L)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #22 on: 09 July 2015, 06:47:19 »
I wonder how their going do this without wrecking the bot in the process.

One thing is they need do some serious shock proofing and else where.  If they really do go 1v1 with each other, the people in the cockpits are going feeling like their inside a bell being rung!

MkII after looking at another video, looks like it was only intended as demotration vehicle try to promoto paintball like combat, at range.  Not melee combat.   I doubt they'll get to level Battlebots is (by the way new season almost over in the US on ABC ;)) with buzz saws, flame throwers, and ramps.  :D

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #23 on: 09 July 2015, 12:01:34 »

Does anyone know if there exists a simpler civilian copy of these simulation softwares US Army TRADOC is using on the field? That would be anwesome way to record damage!  :)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #24 on: 09 July 2015, 12:28:50 »
say SHI got a tip, Windscreen Wipers and a big tank of Wiper Fluid

That supposes the camera arrangement would allow that sort of thing.  I guess they could build a screen in front for such purposes.  Modifications are needed.  Certainly don't want that big arcade cabinet button used for opening Kuratas's cockpit just sticking out like it is.  Likewise, I doubt the MegaBots team wants laptops sitting on their laps during the contest.

Or hurting the pilots!

MkII after looking at another video, looks like it was only intended as demotration vehicle try to promoto paintball like combat, at range.  Not melee combat.   I doubt they'll get to level Battlebots is (by the way new season almost over in the US on ABC ;)) with buzz saws, flame throwers, and ramps.  :D

Well, MegaBots has plans to mount the MK II on fully articulated legs.  Maybe not in time for the fight.  MegaBots has a huge advantage over SHI in that they can weaponize their robot much easier.  Go take a look at FPSRussia videos on youtube sometimes.  The things Americans can get away with is astounding.  If MegaBots wanted an armor piercing harpoon gun to impale the Kuratas operator, they could do it.  I highly doubt that is the intention of the MegaBots team, but what i'm trying to say is that SHI is being shrewd by wanting melee combat. 
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Register