Author Topic: Composition of an LCT?  (Read 2574 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Composition of an LCT?
« on: 30 October 2014, 20:00:59 »
I am certain that there is a listing of what actually makes up a Light Combat Team, and that I have read it before, but I can't for the life of me recall the details or where I read it. Anybody want to help a guy out?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
Re: Composition of an LCT?
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2014, 20:24:32 »
Field report: AFFS I think.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2014, 20:34:45 »
FR:AFFS, page 5 in the sidebar.  A reinforced battalion of mechs, 4-6 battalions of armor evenly split between heavy armor and cavalry, an artillery battery, a regiment of BA, and possible some special mission conventional infantry like combat engineers or MPs.  It also talks about VTOLs for recon and BA transport, but I think foeum consensus is that they're accounted for in the cavalry battalions.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2014, 21:09:40 »
FR:AFFS, page 5 in the sidebar.  A reinforced battalion of mechs, 4-6 battalions of armor evenly split between heavy armor and cavalry, an artillery battery, a regiment of BA, and possible some special mission conventional infantry like combat engineers or MPs.  It also talks about VTOLs for recon and BA transport, but I think foeum consensus is that they're accounted for in the cavalry battalions.

Huh. Odd, I recall reading this, but I don't actually have FR:AFFS.

I also recall that the mech component was expanded to two battalions at some point...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2014, 00:17:22 »
Thought that depended on the unit?

It is a interesting development question . . . will Julian rebuild to LCTs, RCTs or a mix based on role?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2014, 00:30:44 »
Thought that depended on the unit?

It is a interesting development question . . . will Julian rebuild to LCTs, RCTs or a mix based on role?

At this point I think he is simply focused on the FedSuns surviving the next couple years.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2014, 01:10:41 »
Yes, but do you concentrate force rebuilding in a few RCTs that cannot be spread as far strategically and require lots of assets to move but are harder to overwhelm . . . or do you build the smaller LCTs that you can spread out over the strategic fronts, easier to move but also easier to chew up?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2014, 01:38:59 »
Huh. Odd, I recall reading this, but I don't actually have FR:AFFS.

I also recall that the mech component was expanded to two battalions at some point...

Depends on the unit. Fairly sure the VTOLs aren't part of the two primary armor regiments.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2014, 01:58:13 »
Putting aside the rebuilding RCT vs LCT . . .

What component of the combined arms would you focus on rebuilding if Julian?  Mechs?  Armor?  BA?  Infantry?  ASF/CF/VTOL?

Its not just about assigning equipment, its about the training budget, personnel, postings, schools, and the other intangibles.
Colt Ward

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2014, 03:11:56 »
Putting aside the rebuilding RCT vs LCT . . .

What component of the combined arms would you focus on rebuilding if Julian?  Mechs?  Armor?  BA?  Infantry?  ASF/CF/VTOL?

Its not just about assigning equipment, its about the training budget, personnel, postings, schools, and the other intangibles.

Belongs in its own discussion thread.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2014, 03:17:21 »
A simplified TO&E was in FM:85,,,,though not as much detail as the FS's book.As to the VTOL's,I think that was a sub' lack of ASF toround out the LCT
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2014, 06:58:45 »
A simplified TO&E was in FM:85,,,,though not as much detail as the FS's book.As to the VTOL's,I think that was a sub' lack of ASF toround out the LCT

LCTs do have ASFs. This was confirmed on the board by Welshman, who was TPTB that actually came up with the LCT concept for the AFFS.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2014, 09:30:34 »
If memory serves (and it may not) there are also some statements in FR:AFFS or FM:3085 that the LCT model is based on the pre-Jihad Ceti Hussars organization pattern.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Jame Rowe

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2014, 10:04:13 »

What is the difference between heavy armor and cavalry? Asking as someone who is only really familiar with the new Introductory Box...
I don't know what the Kitfox does as a mech, I just like foxes.

Panther, Enforcer, Hatchetman, Grasshopper!

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 31 October 2014, 10:12:58 »
What is the difference between heavy armor and cavalry? Asking as someone who is only really familiar with the new Introductory Box...

Slower Tanks (Alacorns, Challengers, Shreks) and faster tanks (Hover Tanks, the higher speed tracked/wheeled tanks)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2014, 19:56:30 »
Its indeed that Field Report: AFFS (pg.5) does have more details on the Light Combat Teams.   Lyrans by 3145 are using them to an extent. 

Crucis Lancers by 3145 are infact Regimental Combat Teams, but the two invasions reduced their numbers slightly.  Prior to the invasion, some regional units  that are LCT had two Battalions of Mechs, but were skimmed off to bolster other units prior to the First Prince's planned invasion of Liao and then response to Draconis Combine's invasion.

I have to agree its easier to transport a LCT, though i can't imagine their as quick lugging around infantry and slow combat vehicles.  I guess it depends on how their deployed.  Be a monster of a game if players were using entire thing with tactical level (regular game/Total Warfare) record sheets. Nevermind using Regimental Combat Teams! 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki