Author Topic: The Gladiator-Hero o the Combine, or 'There was no Such Battlemech.'  (Read 3804 times)

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
Which of the two versions of history do you think the Combine subscribes to when it comes to talking about their first homebuilt Mech?  While the first is always special, the Gladiator was a bit of a weak squib militarily speaking, and the design was sold off to a company in the Terran Hegemony, where it died an unhappy death less than 40 years after the first models were produced.

Still, has it's black history been retconned away in universe?  Or would any person trying to flog one to a museum in the Combine be advised to get off the planet before the security services pay them a visit for re-education on the value of the scrap metal?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Maelwys

• Major
I don't think they'd mind too much. It probably won't be looked at favorably, but its not the Von Rohrs, so they won't freak out too much, its just a failed design, rather than a hated design.

I always thought it was sort of disappointing that they didn't get to put it back into production themselves (I think its a StarCorps rebuild, rather than say, LAW or something).

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
I don't think they'd mind too much. It probably won't be looked at favorably, but its not the Von Rohrs, so they won't freak out too much, its just a failed design, rather than a hated design.

I always thought it was sort of disappointing that they didn't get to put it back into production themselves (I think its a StarCorps rebuild, rather than say, LAW or something).
  It was built by the Von Rohrs though.  I probably should have noted that-though the Von Rohrs were also the ones who canned it and stopped production.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

haesslich

• Lieutenant
I think they do their best top pretend it doesn't exist, like the Mauler. I wouldn't want to bring it up too much, but unlike the Maskirova I wouldn't get vanished. Maybe blacklisted by the O5P and then condemned to poverty and an ignominious death for going against established histories, but that's it.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Which of the two versions of history do you think the Combine subscribes to when it comes to talking about their first homebuilt Mech?  While the first is always special, the Gladiator was a bit of a weak squib militarily speaking, and the design was sold off to a company in the Terran Hegemony, where it died an unhappy death less than 40 years after the first models were produced.

Still, has it's black history been retconned away in universe?  Or would any person trying to flog one to a museum in the Combine be advised to get off the planet before the security services pay them a visit for re-education on the value of the scrap metal?
There is no big problem.

The Draconis Combine produced the primitive GLD-1R Gladiator in one or two locations during the Jihad.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
I think they do their best top pretend it doesn't exist, like the Mauler. I wouldn't want to bring it up too much, but unlike the Maskirova I wouldn't get vanished. Maybe blacklisted by the O5P and then condemned to poverty and an ignominious death for going against established histories, but that's it.
Since when has the Combine tried to pretend the Mauler doesn't exist?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

haesslich

• Lieutenant
Since when has the Combine tried to pretend the Mauler doesn't exist?

By calling it the Mauler instead of by its original name, the Daboku. 

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b

Lineman. The original name was the lineman.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel

When did they start doing that?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

massey

• Captain
I don't think it would be an issue at all.  Why would it be?  The average person, even the average mechwarrior, probably knows next to nothing about the Gladiator.  I don't think there would be any kind of controvery that a primitive battlemech from 500 years ago wasn't very effective.  I doubt the Combine would take any sort of official position on the mech at all.  If anything, you'd have stories about "brave Combine soldiers, fighting in inferior, hastily-designed machines, defeated their enemies blah blah blah."

I can't imagine people today caring at all if you described the muskets that were used in the American Revolutionary War as "inferior to their British equivalents" or something like that.  Sure the Combine is pretty uptight, but I just can't see it being something anyone cares about.

soshi

• Master Sergeant
  • reed'n be fun four da mentals
Mauler is the FedCom's code name for it

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Mauler was the FedCom code name for the Daboku.  When the Combine decided to give the design another look in the late 40s, they adopted the FedCom name because they though it sounded mean and officially produced the new design under that name.  Or at least, that's what TRO 3050 says.
Sunrise is Coming.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Lineman. The original name was the lineman.

Lies!
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
From a sidebar in an upcoming soon-to-be-published-this-year-or-next work:

Following the raid in 2461 that netted BattleMech plans for the Draconis Combine, House Kurita set out on a crash course of construction. To build this first design, the paranoid Kozo Von Rohrs established a secret division of New Samarkand Metals, watched over obsessively by his newly formed Draconis Elite Strike Teams. It would be up to New Samarkand Armor Works to tackle the task. (When the capital of the Draconis Combine moved, NSAW migrated wholesale, becoming Luthien Armor Works). Due to the restrictions of personnel and resources from such secrecy, the GLD-1R Gladiator would not reach full production until 2468.

Following the disastrous assault on the world of Nox—the first large-scale ’Mech vs. ’Mech battle—in 2475 against House Steiner, additional resources were poured into the nascent ’Mech program. Advances in new technologies meant an end to the “primitive era” of ’Mech production.

With the Gladiator forever dishonored by the Nox affair, the Combine moved on to produce its first “modern era” BattleMech in 2487. The Von Rohrs family immediately created and funded a new BattleMech construction company, Kankoku Military Fabrication Corporation. The sole purpose of the company was to take the lessons learned by NSAW and the battlefield failures of the Gladiator and produce a BattleMech that would not only be superior to the Combine’s enemies but also a standing reminder of the head of the Dragon. In 2487, the Combine’s first “modern” BattleMech, the Von Rohrs,  walked off the Kankoku assembly line. It was immediately put to use.

The Von Rohrs served in every Kurita line regiment that reclaimed worlds lost to the Steiners during the 2463 Lyran invasion. The ’Mech was on its way to becoming the standard Combine BattleMech unit when the success of the McAllister Rebellion wiped out the Von Rohrs line. One of Martin McAllister’s first formal orders after taking command of the Combine was to issue the DCMS an order to change immediately the name of all Von Rohrs ’Mechs to Hebi (serpent). None of the Hebi were to be replaced if destroyed, and Kankoku MFC was immediately closed down and dissolved.

Fortunately for the Combine, the years after McAllister’s Rebellion were peaceful, allowing the Combine to dismantle and replace the symbols of the former dynasty. Nearly seventy years later, the Combine’s leadership blamed this sudden spike in manufacturing and military purchasing (and, by extension, the Von Rohrs Coordinators) for the House’s poor economic position when the Star League was formed. Few foreign economists agreed, instead pointing toward much more recent economic mismanagement of the Combine’s economy.

Early Battle Technology: Draconis Combine; Sun Zhang Publications, 3067

Hopefully that somewhat addresses the OP's query. ;)
Eh.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
Sure does. And wasn't there similar information in the XTRO Primitives the first Gladiator was mentioned in?

GhostBear

• Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
Sure does. And wasn't there similar information in the XTRO Primitives the first Gladiator was mentioned in?

Probably. Which all stems from the initial Von Rhors/Hebi entry in TRO85 (I think).
Eh.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Probably. Which all stems from the initial Von Rhors/Hebi entry in TRO85 (I think).
Most of the sidebar you posted is practically verbatim from the Gladiator entry in TRO 3075, isn't it?
Sunrise is Coming.

GhostBear

• Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
Most of the sidebar you posted is practically verbatim from the Gladiator entry in TRO 3075, isn't it?

'75! That's it!

Maybe. I know I used a lot of our other publications in pulling together HBHK, with some crossover text. But hell, I finished HBHK four years ago, and I don't remember any more.
Eh.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
This looks VERY good. I can't wait for it to come out.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
Any new color art of the Kurita family?

GhostBear

• Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
Yes.
Eh.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
What about the fact that the intro-tech version was actually superior to the Wolverine in a number of respects...well, IIRC, it was toothless if its arms got shot off...

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Register