Author Topic: Opacus Venatori  (Read 3940 times)

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
Opacus Venatori
« on: 30 October 2014, 07:57:57 »
I just picked up the two box sets of Celestial mechs from IWM.  When I bought these, it was just with the idea of quickly and easily aquiring a number of these Celestials to paint up in one of the Shadow Division's colors.  Looking more closely at the descriptions on the packages, and doing a bit of research on Sarna.net, I relaized these mechs are meant to represent the specific varients piloted by the members of the Level II - Opacus of the Opacus Venatori.

Given this discovery, I decided to paint them up as the Opacus Venatori rather than generic mechs of a random Shadow Division.  Looking at CSO, the pics and reference quote says that the Opacus Venatori mechs are "charcoal, fading to white at the extremities".  This is indeed the way most of the miniatures on the package covers are painted, with one exception.  The Archangel piloted by Precentor Berith is instead shown as red, fading to white at the extremities.   I don't have access to all the WOB refernces, but I can't find anything indicating his paint job was any different than the rest of the Opacus Venatori.  I would normally assume whoever painted up the miniature used for the cover photo knew what he was doing, but I just wanted to check that this is indeed canon.

Thanks!   :)
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Opacus Venatori
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2014, 08:00:58 »
I just picked up the two box sets of Celestial mechs from IWM.  When I bought these, it was just with the idea of quickly and easily aquiring a number of these Celestials to paint up in one of the Shadow Division's colors.  Looking more closely at the descriptions on the packages, and doing a bit of research on Sarna.net, I relaized these mechs are meant to represent the specific varients piloted by the members of the Level II - Opacus of the Opacus Venatori.

Given this discovery, I decided to paint them up as the Opacus Venatori rather than generic mechs of a random Shadow Division.  Looking at CSO, the pics and reference quote says that the Opacus Venatori mechs are "charcoal, fading to white at the extremities".  This is indeed the way most of the miniatures on the package covers are painted, with one exception.  The Archangel piloted by Precentor Berith is instead shown as red, fading to white at the extremities.   I don't have access to all the WOB refernces, but I can't find anything indicating his paint job was any different than the rest of the Opacus Venatori.  I would normally assume whoever painted up the miniature used for the cover photo knew what he was doing, but I just wanted to check that this is indeed canon.

Thanks!   :)
Technical Readout: 3075, p.92 - "... his preferred ride is a personalized red-and-white Archangel ..."

So it's indeed canon.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2014, 08:10:07 »
Technical Readout: 3075, p.92 - "... his preferred ride is a personalized red-and-white Archangel ..."

So it's indeed canon.
Thanks Martian!  You are the answer man!   O0
Mike

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2014, 12:08:35 »
Also...the Opacus Venatori configurations are visually identical to the standard Infernus configurations. In fact, Starterbook: Wolf and Blake provides both OV and Infernus record sheets for each 'Mech.

So if you want to paint them in standard Shadow Division colors, nothing's stopping you. In fact I used the same minis for a 49th Shadow Division Level II.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2014, 12:52:58 »

So it's indeed canon.

it is so nice when an enemy commander chooses to make himself a target instead of trying to blend into the rest.  >:D

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2014, 13:01:56 »
it is so nice when an enemy commander chooses to make himself a target instead of trying to blend into the rest.  >:D
He will headcap you with his charged Heavy PPC before you get to know that he's out there ...   #P

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2014, 13:42:05 »

It's to draw you in before his companions eviscerate you from all sides. :D
Eh.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2014, 13:56:26 »

Berith is a murder machine.  Unless you're going after him with artillery...well, where do you want the flowers sent?

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2014, 14:40:47 »
Also...the Opacus Venatori configurations are visually identical to the standard Infernus configurations.
Thanks, Neo-Tanuki!  I was planning on painting them as 44th SD originally, so maybe I'll just stick with that paint scheme after all, instead of the OV after all.  I really wanted to do the black-to-grey fade of the 44th Shadow.   ^-^
Mike

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2014, 14:50:28 »
Thanks, Neo-Tanuki!  I was planning on painting them as 44th SD originally, so maybe I'll just stick with that paint scheme after all, instead of the OV after all.  I really wanted to do the black-to-grey fade of the 44th Shadow.   ^-^

Yep, I dig the Shadow Divisions. They were a key factor in my defection to the Blakists.  >:D

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2014, 16:31:59 »
Berith is a murder machine.  Unless you're going after him with artillery...well, where do you want the flowers sent?

Orbital Bombardment please

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2014, 16:41:32 »
Orbital Bombardment please

Its the only way to be sure...    :P
Mike

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2014, 17:49:37 »
It's to draw you in before his companions eviscerate you from all sides. :D

It's not anti NOVA paint?

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #13 on: 30 October 2014, 21:43:02 »

Isn't that what Tempest Stryker said?

My florist is Katrina Steiner-Davion and she recommends Mycosia Pseudoflora?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2014, 10:56:35 »
I take it Mr Berith was a 2/2 pilot/gunner as well.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2014, 14:54:31 »
Given Wolf And Blake sourcebook Berith has Piloting 2 and Gunnery 1, when activating his Buffered VDNI it gets even better.
He would kill KaiAllard-Liao with ease when fighting him.

Moirdryd

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2014, 20:52:50 »
There is no Justice... There is just Us.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2014, 00:37:45 »
Yeah, Berith uses the red paint scheme to denote that his is an Ascended MD..... and yea, he's pretty much a murder machine

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."