Author Topic: How big is a Grand Melee fight?  (Read 4553 times)

Archangel

• Major
Re: How big is a Grand Melee fight?
« Reply #30 on: 19 January 2015, 17:37:12 »
are there actually warship commanders without a bloodname? It is a very prestigious assignment, I guess. And there were not "that" many warships even within the Clans IIRC.

I imagine it is possible for a non-blooded ristar, who is waiting for the "right" bloodname to become available, and who has the right political connections to be named commander.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 19 January 2015, 21:20:56 »
I don't think I've ever seen one. I imagine for a typical ASF pilot warrior who pursues the naval branch as a career choice, it's the crowning achievement, long after they have earned a Bloodname. They may need that Bloodname (and the extra pull it brings) to break through the competition and to obtain the seniority needed to be nominated for that warship captain's chair. From the perspective of the Clan the firepower a warship possesses demands nothing less.

Is it possible that a warrior without a bloodname could rise as high as the rank of Star Commodore? Sure, but but I think such a warrior without a bloodname would be more likely to command a jumpship. If they did obtain command of a warship, they would probably struggle to hold that post for long.
Except warships are usually the first thing to be bid away, and most clans consider them dishonorable. The pick of a naval career? Sure. Except that in most clans a naval career is associated with washouts and freeborn, or founder forbid freeborn-washout. In non-naval clans, I'd imagine it less as a culmiantion of naval career, and more as a "retirement home" for high ranking blood named that are too old to hold their own in the annual ToP, but are still to respected than to be thrown as fodder in a solhama unit.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2015, 22:37:57 »
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Register