Author Topic: Let's talk MW3  (Read 3648 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Let's talk MW3
« on: 31 March 2011, 09:26:02 »
Remember Mechwarrior 3? Still my favorite of the series- not without it's share of flaws, of course (really? A leg hit kills the whole Mech?), but a very good game.

...that doesn't run too well on Windows 7 (64), as far as I can tell- it wants to, I can tell, but I'm not really sure what to do to get it working better. I've tried compatibility mode with Windows 95 and 98, but still no dice. It wants to- I can operate all the menus, customize a Mech, even get into an instant action fight- but it's very jerky, like playing the game via strobe light. Not helpful when trying to aim at targets, as you might imagine.

Has anyone ever had luck getting it to work through Windows 7? Any help is much appreciated! Bear in mind that since I'm not the most tech-savvy guy out there, so I may need some help walking me through this.

Thanks in advance!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MadCatBob

• Sergeant
Re: Let's talk MW3
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2011, 18:44:56 »
I've been able to get Mechwarrior 3 to work on Windows 7 by setting the render mode to "software".  I'm limited to 640x480 resolution and very few sfx, but it does run without any trouble.

Edit: I should also note that I have very rarely found compatibility mode to be very helpful in solving anything.  Minor bugs due to the way different versions of Windows work might be cleared up by changing the compatibility mode, but anything serious will laugh in your face.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2011, 05:08:52 by MadCatBob »

CoffiNail

• Sergeant
  • Oathmaster of Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2011, 10:04:50 »
If you have a newer ATI card they REALLY hate MW3... I am in the boat... i just get a lot of trail effects and black screen outside my cockpit, lol.  Software mode runs WAY to fast, it is like the game is on x8 fast forward lol.

Best of luck to set it up, MW3 was one of my favs.

MadCatBob

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2011, 10:10:43 »
If you have a newer ATI card they REALLY hate MW3... I am in the boat... i just get a lot of trail effects and black screen outside my cockpit, lol.  Software mode runs WAY to fast, it is like the game is on x8 fast forward lol.

Best of luck to set it up, MW3 was one of my favs.

In hardware mode I get the same black screen and trails.  When I ran the game in software mode, the menu background shot past at a dizzying speed, but the game itself ran normally.  ???

CoffiNail

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2011, 10:34:16 »
Menu shot past too, but my game was speedy Gonzalas :/

Saurok

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2011, 02:10:33 »
I had same issues with ATI cards. But when I switched to "power safe" mode on my laptop witch activates low-end GPU, the game
runs smoothly and without any issues.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2011, 12:50:46 »
have no problems with installing or running it on win 7
save one tiny problem it will not let me progress past the first mission...*SIGH*
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

CoffiNail

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2011, 13:04:32 »
have no problems with installing or running it on win 7
save one tiny problem it will not let me progress past the first mission...*SIGH*

Reminds me of the demo :P

Torture it is!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2011, 22:52:12 »
you think that is torture?
try pirets moon expansion i have same problem first mission and cannot advance  to next mission
i loved the game when i got it when i was still running win 95 98 2000 xp but after service pack 2 for xp it always stopped at first mission no matter what....
i wish gog had the damn thing already with the fix people are asking for it but still nothing on plus side gog does now have evil genius hehehhehehehehehe
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Register