Author Topic: Ron Cobb, legendary conceptual artist, passes away  (Read 1659 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Ron Cobb, legendary conceptual artist, passes away
« on: 22 September 2020, 14:16:45 »
One of the legends of my youth has passed ... Ron Cobb, who worked on and influenced Star Wars, Alien and Aliens, Conan the Barbarian, The Last Starfighter, Robot Jox, the Abyss, and Back to the Future, has passed away at the age of 83.

Many will be familiar with his contributions to sci-fi films:

But he was also an incisive cartoonist; many too political to post here, so I'll go with this one

News link here, with more illustrations of his genius:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/09/ron-cobb-the-design-genius-behind-aliens-and-back-to-the-future-has-died/

Now to hope he & Gerry Anderson can sit down together and work on stuff in Heaven.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Ron Cobb, legendary conceptual artist, passes away
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2020, 14:27:07 »
Damn. Didn't know the man but as one of the commenters in the news feed says, this is half my childhood right there. RIP