Author Topic: Nebula California: Star Empire; Weapons needed!  (Read 2147 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
Nebula California: Star Empire; Weapons needed!
« on: 19 June 2015, 19:18:35 »
What kind of weapons do we need to add to the Star Empire?

They technically have MG's, SL's (rebels only), Flamers, and VGL's ... I'd think the different variations of MG's might be fair to allow too, not so much the flamers. I thought they could get AMS too?

But what other Star Wars weapons? Bombs seem simple enough TW/TM should be fine.

I was thinking of some sort of hardpoint launcher, but then realized that a RL-10 would be a devastating weapon in this area ...

A one point 'concussion missile' would be cool, imo.  A concussion missile launcher could have the same stats as the proton torpedo, but have double the ammo (4 per ton) and maybe drop the attack modifier.  As a hardpoint mounted weapon it could launch one missile for one point -- weak, but totally up the alley of Star Empire Tech.

My other thought was the Heavy Rocket (available in the TIE fighter game) ... Again, go same as proton torpedo, but half the ammo (1 per ton, ouch!) and allow it the full short range and the +4 attack modifier.

Those help in Aerospace, but for ground attacks we need a type of rocket launcher -- I'd like to build a hailfire missile tank or duplicate the missiles on the republic gunship.  RL's are out of the question, they're just to good for Star Empire Tech. 

A rocket pod launcher shooting 5 missiles up to 12 hexes? 2.5 tons (seems popular); 1pt each; can choose how many missiles to launch?

comments? ideas?
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Nebula California: Star Empire; Weapons needed!
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2015, 18:13:14 »
MRMs.

For trooper scale, MRM-1.
TIE / Hailfire scale, MRM-10 - MRM-40.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2015, 19:40:24 »
MRMs.

For trooper scale, MRM-1.
TIE / Hailfire scale, MRM-10 - MRM-40.

TT

that'd be much easier, just to take from game as is.  Would you impose the +4 modifier to attack non-SE units?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2015, 19:51:58 »
Well there is that +1 to hit for BT scale already, I can see maybe a +3, but not +5.

+4 might be easier. Might have to run a poll to find out.

Folks : +3 or +4 ?

Me: +3
TT
« Last Edit: 21 June 2015, 19:57:04 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2015, 05:06:51 »
I think I'd go +3, for a total of +4 as well.

Keep the same limitation for the Aerospace map too? ... same hex (or even go out to the short range  ...)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2015, 15:05:45 »
I don't have the stats for the TIE in front of me, but since the aerohex is massive like 2? BT scale mapsheet, more like 2.5 maps really. I'd just go same range as aero.

I'd even drop a +1 because the spread would lose lock-on quickly. Replacing that with -1 on the cluster-chart rolls based on what MRM launcher you use.

Example: TIE/MRM-20 +3 to-hit, rolls on 20 chart, minus 1 per launcher. I'd also make each launcher same weight, poding them as well. To reflect their droid factory assembly.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2015, 20:56:31 »
An aerospace low-altitude hex is one BT mapsheet in size.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2015, 10:43:45 »
right then ... sticking with Rocket Launchers as our inspiration.  And keeping in mind that the Star Empire Tech basically sucks.  At the same time, it's not completely useless.

Rocket Pod
1 ton, 2 critical spaces (for mechs ... everything else is 1 slot)

each Rocket pod holds 5 missiles, one missile per pod can be launched at a time.

Range is 18 hexes, Dmg is 1 per missile strike.  +1 targeting modifier (that's a penalty, right? ... read to many game systems at one time and get everything backwards).

Pods cannot be reloaded ... reloading is essentially taking the pod off and putting a new one on, hence being pods.  In a campaign setting they would be 'reloaded' ... as you remove the pod, insert new missiles, replace the pod.

We need a Blaster AMS too ... a repeating blaster cannon? ... 1t, 6 heat, 1 crit, can shoot 1d6 missiles.  It would track the incoming missile arc and fill it with plasma.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2015, 16:11:21 »
Use Laser AMS, but give it more horribleness : +2 to-hit mod., same IS heat range, but reduces the missiles cluster rolls by 3, instead of 4 like normal.

I can see the Star Empire using more Ammo based weapons, Hell I'd be surprised if we get any really good weapons.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2015, 20:30:57 »
yeah, I love the scene in RotS where the ships are opening up with broadsides against each other ... and they're reloading what seems to be cartridges.

Hybrid Rifles and plasma weapons? Chemical Lasers? ...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2015, 20:48:44 »
I always thought the TIE's used ammo for their blasters. Remember in the SW: New Hope - SW: ESB, every TIE scene has them opening some black bottle, even Vader is doing it.

Could this be chemical ammo?

TT

PM sent.
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2015, 08:29:00 »
I always thought they were adjusting their targeting scanners?

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2015, 20:29:59 »
I always thought the TIE's used ammo for their blasters. Remember in the SW: New Hope - SW: ESB, every TIE scene has them opening some black bottle, even Vader is doing it.

Could this be chemical ammo?

TT

No, the pilots said they'd never do any of those stunts sober.  So they're getting drunk/drugged up.   O0

For RotS, I'd see that as a combination expendable heat sink/ammunition.  This allows the guns to fire without needing to build a dedicated cooling system into the weapons.  Great for converting a merchantman to an armed platform, poor in terms of ammo per ton.