Author Topic: Maps: Escape from Disaster - The Tributary  (Read 1429 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Maps: Escape from Disaster - The Tributary
« on: 06 March 2016, 12:58:21 »
* if the maps are too big I apologize...

The maps and scenario were both drawn up by Abou.  I made them in Heavy Metal Map...

This scenario was after the Broken Mirrors (mercenary unit) fell for an ambush from the DCMS.  They only damaged the main objective (factory) but were forced to retreat when their two & 1/2 lances were confronted and outgunned by a legion of enemy 'Mechs...

The DCMS forced the Broken Mirrors to retreat into an old Star League Tributary where they were under pursuit by 3 lances of fast hovercraft (a mix of Saladins, Saracens, and one other type I can't remember).  The Mirrors entered on Map 1 and were given a few turns to move as far north as possible to avoid the Hovercraft and get in some good shots.  Only the jumpers were able to get high ground, and the leftover 'Mechs were destroyed in the Tributary.  Hovercraft had entered the Tributary and even up on the ridge of both sides.  The Mirrors were able to retreat, using two Maxim Hovertanks in the Tributary and several fast 'Mechs up on the ridge providing cover fire.

It's been a while since we played this Scenario but it was very well done and intense.  There was a lot at stake and we (the mercenary unit) were able to barely retreat then make a massive comeback.  It was reminiscent of the Gray Death novels which made this scenario awesome.  There was a Trebuchet in the Mirrors that just would not die...  it was incredible the punishment it took and avoided at the oddest times.  It lived up to the "Trench Bucket" name.

This scenario also pushed the rules in Alpha Strike.  The +2 partial cover modifier really increased our chances for survival.  If it was lower by 1 the result would have probably been similar, a lot of the hovers were taken down with the free overheat you get in water and base to base contact (before it was changed in hex play).  Hence why we now house rule that partial cover is only a +1 in water hexes.  This scenario basically taught me a lot of useful tactics in Alpha Strike that you wouldn't necessarily see in a normal game.

The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

abou

• Captain
Re: Maps: Escape from Disaster - The Tributary
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2016, 15:43:02 »
 :-\

I thought it was cool.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Re: Maps: Escape from Disaster - The Tributary
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2016, 15:56:30 »
I thought it was great.  These maps actually turned out really good... makes me want to use HMM and print some out at FedEx.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company