Author Topic: Filler Mech of the Week. STY-XX Starslayer  (Read 13299 times)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: Filler Mech of the Week. STY-XX Starslayer
« Reply #30 on: 17 April 2016, 12:06:34 »
I've long liked the Starslayer, especially the 3C. It's one of the underappreciated designs in TRO 3058.

It's not the most awesome all purpose machine EVAH, but it does well enough when working with anyone else. It can be a spotter/bodyguard for fire support, heavier support for scouts, or just a line fighter. I think it works well with the classic and 3050 Enforcer variants, and supports the classic 55 ton trio as well.

The -3C (and Crab and other designs) help me to believe in the idea of the medium 'Mech as a Succession Wars trooper - this is something always mentioned in canon but which I rarely believe as heavy or even assault designs normally seem better suited to this role
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #31 on: 17 April 2016, 13:32:45 »
The Starslayer is one of my absolute favorite medium mechs.  The asymetrical weapon load hurts it a bit if i loses the right torso, but I've never had anything less than a solid performance from one on the battlefield.  Speaking as someone who still makes references to the Starslayer Mafia.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #32 on: 17 April 2016, 13:51:08 »
One thing I just thought of is how similar the Anvil is to the Crab and Starslayer; heavier perhaps, but the same speed as both, same armor mass of the Crab, and with similar if higher tech main guns.  Makes me wonder if FWDI took a little inspiration when they were drawing up the plans for the Stingray.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #33 on: 17 April 2016, 13:51:51 »
I think the Anvil is really closer to the Ostsol.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #34 on: 17 April 2016, 13:52:30 »
Also a possibility.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 17 April 2016, 22:37:51 »

Is it 300 or 400 years in-game between the fall of the Star League and the rise of the RotS? That's pretty ancient history

Yes I know. But they also stalled on making Crabs and as a whole Cosara/Northwind have proven to be disloyal to everyone over the years.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #36 on: 18 April 2016, 13:08:49 »
Love the Starslayer . . . I have two of the minis, I think they are a bit off.

I have not been able to field one on TT yet and only rarely for the online campaign servers.  Its solid and as someone else said IMO it sits just fine with the Enforcer and classic trio.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register