Author Topic: Clan history help please  (Read 11934 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Clan history help please
« Reply #30 on: 08 September 2016, 15:13:59 »
And speaking personally, it's only after the Clans became so twisted and flawed that they became interesting at all to me.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2016, 21:10:48 »
A rare look at Nicholas Kerensky in Wolf Clan attire:

"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 08 September 2016, 23:17:29 »
If "Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy" is canon, the destruction of a city on Mannendorf IIRC.  I mean, there isn't much ambiguity in "Level the city.  The time for restraint has passed."

Then again, I don't know if it's considered canon or not.  The Ghost Bears also deliberately targeted Nova Cat lower castes during the Second Combine-Ghost Bear War as well I believe.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #33 on: 09 September 2016, 02:36:50 »
The Second Bear/Combine war was a Trial of Annihilation, all be it an undeclared one.  The Bears finally got fed up of being poked by the Cats who whilst holding the idiot ball thought it a good idea to antagonise their much larger neighbour.  And the Bears then did the typical Bear overreaction and basically went "Okay...we've put up with your crap for years now.  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!! RARAHBLBLBLBLALERARABLBLBLL!L!!ONE!!"

And dear lord I knew Malvina was a bit nutty and evil, I had no idea she's bloody omnicidal!

What happens when the Ghost Bear's/Dominion are just tired of your Shenanigans.

« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 07:52:25 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2016, 05:48:06 »
And dear lord I knew Malvina was a bit nutty and evil, I had no idea she's bloody omnicidal!

She stated in a novel, 'Rending of Falcons' I think, that she wanted to kill ALL of humanity, saving Cynthy for last before hurling herself into a star.

She's full out crazy.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 09 September 2016, 07:55:02 »
So why do the Falcons follow her? Its obvious she's full on cray-cray, can't someone just challenge her or something?  Or has she basically killed anyone who would disagree with her and cowed the rest into submission?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #36 on: 09 September 2016, 08:17:02 »
So why do the Falcons follow her? Its obvious she's full on cray-cray, can't someone just challenge her or something?  Or has she basically killed anyone who would disagree with her and cowed the rest into submission?

That's about the right of it. The legend was that Aleks, her brother, never killed an opponent in a Trial- he would win every one of them, but never kill. Malvina never let one live. And that was BEFORE her mind snapped following Aleks' death.

Malvina is all about spectacle- killing thousands of people means nothing to her other than providing a way to show millions of others that she means business. Razing a city is an example to the rest of a world of what happens when they cross her. Crashing a battleship to wipe out a political opponent shows the whole OZ that she's not afraid to commit even the most astonishing atrocities to keep her Clan in line. There's literally no limits on her, and she's happy to show that at every opportunity.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 09 September 2016, 08:26:50 »

Basically. There are a few who are also cowed by her success. As long as she's winning, they'll follow a monster. Once she stops winning, well that remains to be seen.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 09 September 2016, 09:02:43 »

They follow her because they want to. There's nothing stopping Jade Falcons that disagree with her from issuing Trials of Grievances over her actions, or challenging her to the Khanship. The fact that we haven't seen anything like that indicates either the Jade Falcon rank and file are either fine with what's going on, or not Warrior enough to attempt to issue a challenge.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #39 on: 09 September 2016, 09:13:31 »
What happens when the Ghost Bear's/Dominion are just tired of your Shenanigans.

I think this is the finest summation of Clan Ghost Bear in the history of ever.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #40 on: 09 September 2016, 09:24:55 »

"WOLVERIIIIIIIINES!!!"

+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2016, 09:54:40 »

"Should have dialed back on the bears.." Last thoughts of a Wobbie when seeing that Gif carried out for real on Luthien during the Jihad.

Taber_Evans

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 16 September 2016, 13:58:37 »
They follow her because they want to. There's nothing stopping Jade Falcons that disagree with her from issuing Trials of Grievances over her actions, or challenging her to the Khanship. The fact that we haven't seen anything like that indicates either the Jade Falcon rank and file are either fine with what's going on, or not Warrior enough to attempt to issue a challenge.

wasnt there a challenge made in one of the DA novels?? 

What really surprises me is that someone hasn't put out a bounty on her!!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #43 on: 16 September 2016, 14:04:56 »
wasnt there a challenge made in one of the DA novels?? 

What really surprises me is that someone hasn't put out a bounty on her!!

And do what?

If she was an average Mechwarrior- hell, even just an elite one- she wouldn't be so much of a threat. Thing is, she's REALLY good- that Shrike has a lot of well-earned kill markers covering it. (That she has so much success in that heat-hog config of hers is truly astonishing). Out of the cockpit, her size belies her sheer ferocity and training- she's handily gutted Elementals without trouble. In addition, she's almost always surrounded by fiercely loyal Gyrfalcon Galaxy/Golden Ordun personnel as guards- one could even surmise that part of the reason she's always got a warrior or two in her bed is so that she has a little extra muscle/human shield around in case of trouble.

So, bounties are nice... how do you collect on it?

+Crow T. Robot+

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 16 September 2016, 14:54:23 »
So, bounties are nice... how do you collect on it?

Is she required Dead, Alive, Intact? There are plenty of dishonorable means to kill people, Drop a FULL Behemoth DS with 7 days thrust on her command center. Nuclear weapons, Black Friday Gas. Drop an RCT or Galaxy on her cluster and she will Die, disregard all pretense at Zellbrigen. Get some WOBBIE Criminal in prison to modify the gene targeted virus from the Society to target her. Poison. You might even try a Snowfire gambit. Malvina is such a threat It might just be worth ending whatever planet she is on with the Curse of Galedon.

She is in a big flashy easily recognized mech, she cannot be that hard to take out, it isn't like Kerensky and Dechevalier with a Division or two between them and the enemy.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #45 on: 16 September 2016, 15:05:54 »
How many bounty hunters have those kinds of resources at their disposal?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Taber_Evans

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 16 September 2016, 15:12:16 »
There is no target that can't be hit!  If you are willing to take the risk.  All it takes is time and planning.  If the bounty is big enough she will be dead within a year IMO.  And her mech doesn't matter. 
« Last Edit: 16 September 2016, 15:16:12 by Taber_Evans »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 16 September 2016, 15:14:58 »
And yet, as a matter of honour, the Falcons would kill you dead. And then they'd kill you some more.

Taber_Evans

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 16 September 2016, 15:16:48 »
only if they know who.

And in IMO it just may be worth it.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 16 September 2016, 15:45:45 »
How many bounty hunters have those kinds of resources at their disposal?

Fine line between Bounty Hunters and Mercs.

Plenty. If a Merc can get a fusion engine, they certainly can get a fusion bomb. I am thinking more along the lines of state sponsored sanction.

I am pretty sure if you went to the Lyran High Command with an actionable plan they would let you borrow something.

Or just give it time, and when she tries to bite the Bears the Bears can flood her world with galaxies of angry bears, and no mercy.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #50 on: 16 September 2016, 18:48:56 »
Is she required Dead, Alive, Intact? There are plenty of dishonorable means to kill people, Drop a FULL Behemoth DS with 7 days thrust on her command center. Nuclear weapons, Black Friday Gas. Drop an RCT or Galaxy on her cluster and she will Die, disregard all pretense at Zellbrigen. Get some WOBBIE Criminal in prison to modify the gene targeted virus from the Society to target her. Poison. You might even try a Snowfire gambit. Malvina is such a threat It might just be worth ending whatever planet she is on with the Curse of Galedon.

She is in a big flashy easily recognized mech, she cannot be that hard to take out, it isn't like Kerensky and Dechevalier with a Division or two between them and the enemy.

If you're resorting to ideas like... hell, any of that... to stop Malvina, you're just as much of a monster as she is. And, while we're at it, ensured that the Falcons are going to be completely, totally enraged in a way that would make even the Bears' Jihad-era rampages look reserved. Malvina already doesn't hold back a great deal, but using tactics like this? Now you'll see what happens when every single Jade Falcon- whether a Malvina supporter or not- is united with one goal... finding those responsible, and absolutely slaughtering them, and everyone who gets in the way of that goal. Casualties be damned.

+Crow T. Robot+

Taber_Evans

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 17 September 2016, 00:21:15 »

Yep-Overkill.   Pretty much what Hellbie said.
Plenty of Black Ops crew around and about.  Or even people, civilian and military, with odd skill sets.  And I would bet that with her already listed excesses you could find plenty of folks with a grudge to settle.  They may not even care much about not surviving.  Just a bit of time and planning.    Its doable, and a viable option.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 17 September 2016, 05:16:33 »
Quick question re Mad Malvina, what Shrike does she drive? A 3 or is it a custom job?

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 17 September 2016, 12:04:52 »
I think it's just a '3', but instead of myomers she has fresh Lyran orphan refugees stuffed inside every day.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 17 September 2016, 17:48:13 »
[/shrug]  Challenge her to a Trial of Grievance if you're a good enough Warrior.

She has a custom uniform, right?  The rules and regulations require that all Jade Falcon Warriors be properly attired at all times as part of the doctrine of spiritual uplift through conformity.  Her uniform is out of order and I figure that calling her out over something so trivial would antagonize her just enough to accept the Trial.

If you fail, have someone else who opposes her omnicidal ways challenge her again.  Repeat until desired effect is achieved.  It may not be an honorable way of handling it, but it's entirely within the rules of the Clan.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 17 September 2016, 19:41:46 »
And has the added benefit of not leaving the rest of the Clan wanting to rain fire-y death upon your head.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #56 on: 18 September 2016, 02:50:05 »

If you fail, have someone else who opposes her omnicidal ways challenge her again.  Repeat until desired effect is achieved.  It may not be an honorable way of handling it, but it's entirely within the rules of the Clan.

Given her success rates in trials, it'd also eventually be a good way to protect the Lyran Commonwealth from the Jade Falcons.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #57 on: 19 September 2016, 10:10:42 »
Quick question re Mad Malvina, what Shrike does she drive? A 3 or is it a custom job?
Malvina's Shrike "Black Rose" began as a standard model and was damaged in combat losing the autocannon arm. It was later modified into a 3 variant, although it's unclear whether the 3 was a standard version at the time or her custom version inspired the 3 variant.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #58 on: 19 September 2016, 10:13:56 »
Malvina's Shrike "Black Rose" began as a standard model and was damaged in combat losing the autocannon arm. It was later modified into a 3 variant, although it's unclear whether the 3 was a standard version at the time or her custom version inspired the 3 variant.

Did she use the ACs? I didn't realize her Shrike ever carried them. (To be fair, it's been a while since reading those books)

+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #59 on: 20 September 2016, 15:13:53 »
Did she use the ACs? I didn't realize her Shrike ever carried them. (To be fair, it's been a while since reading those books)
Yeah, first book she appears in, they get chopped up, get replaced. Then they get hacked up again and this time she swaps for ERPPCs and all.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Register