Author Topic: MotW: Hercules  (Read 12420 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: MotW: Hercules
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2016, 23:47:04 »
It's not actually surprising that you'd overlook the Herc even if it matches your playstyle.  TRO 3055 also had the Thunder and Falconer, after all, and they're both mechs with the same mission profile and a bit more flashiness.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #31 on: 10 September 2016, 00:01:24 »
Much of my initial reaction to the Hercules matches ArkansasWarrior's. It wasn't until I saw the Verfolger years later in TRO 3067 that I went back and looked at Hercules in a better light.

As for some of the odd weapon choices & locations for the baseline Herc, it wasn't alone in TRO 3055. The Cerberus and Grand Titan, also FWL designs amusingly enough (or annoying, depending), went with rear-facing MGs and SPLs respectively. The Gunslinger IMO took the cake with rear-mounted MPLs on the legs. Even Clan Wolf got in on the action with the Linebacker C's rear-facing MG and flamer. Take my memory with a grain of salt, but I want to say there was a fluff line for the Cerberus that its MGs were rear-facing due to reports of Elemental flanking attacks.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2016, 00:48:38 »
Most of it.  Those weapons don't play nice with TSM and I'm not a huge fan of its inclusion.
The TSM was for me. :D I loves it. :D
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2016, 06:22:11 »
Much of my initial reaction to the Hercules matches ArkansasWarrior's. It wasn't until I saw the Verfolger years later in TRO 3067 that I went back and looked at Hercules in a better light.

As for some of the odd weapon choices & locations for the baseline Herc, it wasn't alone in TRO 3055. The Cerberus and Grand Titan, also FWL designs amusingly enough (or annoying, depending), went with rear-facing MGs and SPLs respectively. The Gunslinger IMO took the cake with rear-mounted MPLs on the legs. Even Clan Wolf got in on the action with the Linebacker C's rear-facing MG and flamer. Take my memory with a grain of salt, but I want to say there was a fluff line for the Cerberus that its MGs were rear-facing due to reports of Elemental flanking attacks.
The rear guns are anti-elemental in every case IIRC. Pretty logical given the frame (before the designers realized just how tough Elementals are).

But the Gunslinger's rear guns are about as effective as rear weapons can get.

1) MPLs: 2 hex range with a -2 TN (counters the secondary arc penalty).

2) Leg mount: you can twist to fire an arm gun behind you while also firing the rear guns at the same target.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 12 September 2016, 11:28:36 »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks or that horrible movie every time they see this mech!

Fun write up and accurate in my experience. The choice to add so very much secondary 'stuff' but to leave out case always seemed like a weird choice. It's not like this mech was so optimized that it needed an ammo bomb to reget gun it in. I like the AMS, but honestly, dropping a half ton of SRM or AMS ammo for Case would have been well worth it. I was always surprised that there wasn't a variant that dropped all the 'stuff' to add something like a real missile rack or another large weapon. Still, the two 10-point weapons are respectable, and their placement doesn't bug me as much as it does some people. Years of hunchback fandom have gotten me used to having all my firepower stuck on one side! Honestly, 3055 in general is one of my favorites TRO's for FWL mechs. I even like the Anvil!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #35 on: 12 September 2016, 11:33:21 »
You can't drop a half ton of SRM or AMS ammo.  Only MG ammo can be added or removed in half ton increments.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #36 on: 12 September 2016, 13:01:53 »
you can in MWO, which i suspect will be a source of confusion for newer players for some time. certainly would have solved the "hanging half ton" problem if regular BT allowed it, though it would make calculating the volley #'s a pain.

really, if you don't want to drop a weapon, switching from the streak2 to a regular would be the easiest way to free up room for CASE. if you want to get more complex, swapping the Small pulses for say, a standard small's would free up a full ton, giving you room to cram CASE and something else. though the dearth of half ton systems makes the choice trickier there.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #37 on: 12 September 2016, 13:23:56 »
Remember that there's explosives in both sides of the torso, so dropping a small pulse would free up the ability to cover both sides- no point in putting CASE in one side and leaving the other to explode, because while that's LEGAL to do, the side without CASE will attract SRMs and LBX shots like moths to a flame.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 12 September 2016, 16:52:29 »
You can't drop a half ton of SRM or AMS ammo.  Only MG ammo can be added or removed in half ton increments.

Really? I thought that rule got changed at some point? Of course looking at my Tech manual PDF, it still says just MG's (and nail/rivet guns), but I could have sworn that got changed. Is it maybe an option in MegaMek?

Exact details aside, I still would have dropped SOMETHING to put CASE on. Seems odd to have goodies like LBX cannons, ERPPC's, FF armor,  and Pulse Lasers, but not bother with CASE.

Oh, and I always thought the Apollo paired well with the 3055 FWL heavies. In fact, I think Apollo/Hercules is a better combo than Hammer/Anvil...or really Hammer/Anything...the Hammer sucks.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 12 September 2016, 17:51:11 »
One nice thing to note . . . the Hercules is still in production into 3140s, on Kendall . . . a independent world.  So it probably saw a lot of use in the Marik Protectors and maybe the Rim Commonality's forces.  It becomes a question mark because the Marians invaded Kendall and IIRC as of 3150 are still fighting over the world against League forces.  I would expect the Blue Shield version (if not both) is built on Kendall since it also produces the Quasimodo in that timeframe.

Whenever I have gotten a Herc on the competitive merc servers I always dump the SSRM ammo . . . cuts the bombs down and the LB-10X is a better crit-seeker than the SSRM2.  Which also reflects my campaign mods, remove that SSRM2 to build CASE for the AC ammo and perhaps MLs or electronics.

Hm, think about that planetary garrison the Marians ran into . . . for mechs- Hercules, Quasimodo, Orion 1-M (and I think a 3 series?), Bulwark tanks, Galleons and the Main Gauche (including the Plasma Rifle IFV version!).  Provides the keys for a pretty solid defense force.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #40 on: 12 September 2016, 18:01:49 »
Really? I thought that rule got changed at some point? Of course looking at my Tech manual PDF, it still says just MG's (and nail/rivet guns), but I could have sworn that got changed. Is it maybe an option in MegaMek?

Exact details aside, I still would have dropped SOMETHING to put CASE on. Seems odd to have goodies like LBX cannons, ERPPC's, FF armor,  and Pulse Lasers, but not bother with CASE.

That's FASA for you.  Always building mechs in ways no sane person, in universe or out, can understand.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 12 September 2016, 18:23:55 »
That's FASA for you.  Always building mechs in ways no sane person, in universe or out, can understand.
Oh man... some of older designs are really, really mystifying.
Like, that TRO-3050 Whithworth. Or Vindicator 3L. Hell, it isn't just standard tech but some introductory designs, like the Banshee, why does it have two extra heat sinks for no reason whatsoever (max heat 14, heat dissipation 16)?
It doesn't help there are real gems among them, like the Archer 4M which is about as perfect as you can make it.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 12 September 2016, 18:25:04 »
JHB seems to understand it just fine.  Oh, wait...  O0
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #43 on: 12 September 2016, 20:56:42 »
I want to like the Herc. It's got a great start; 5/8, good armour, nice pair of main guns.... and then the secondary weapons are utter arse. So near, yet so far.

It sees a lot of use in my games, usually as a bad guy in mercenary/periphery forces.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #44 on: 13 September 2016, 02:28:36 »
Then again we did get TRO:3058 which put on its 7 league boots and strode firmly into Munchkin territory with things like the Thunder hawk, Pillager, Maelstrom, Shootist Dragon Fire etc :p

Honestly I prefer mech's to be quirky and have flaws.  Sure you can get some real dogs eggs come out that just make you tilt your head and go "Whyyyyyyyyyyy...." but you take the good with the bad.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #45 on: 13 September 2016, 02:30:37 »
I don't think I can justify calling anything with a Gauss Rifle in each side torso and an XL engine "munchkin."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #46 on: 13 September 2016, 02:40:52 »
Risk and reward, to tot that firepower you need an XL engine and that has its own risks.  But the 3058 Mechs were generally very potent machines (even if the art for them was..a bit iffy shall we say) and well designed and laid out.  There was very few machines in that book that were like "Oh WOW what were they doing when they designed this thing?"  sure there was some quirky units in there but nothing that was so 'quirky' that it was just plain bad, or full of head scratch moments a la Warhawk B IE "Why does it have 5 tonnes of ammo for the SRM...WHY!?"
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #47 on: 13 September 2016, 07:11:53 »
JHB seems to understand it just fine.  Oh, wait...  O0

...  ???
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 13 September 2016, 07:33:17 »
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Herc.  The basics are all good - good speed, decent armour and a fine pair of primary weapons - but thereafter it all goes to hell in an handcart, which feels pretty insulting when compared to a Falconer or Verfolger.

For all that, I find usually it works well enough in practice and gives the FWL a decent heavy cavalry design of their own, so I do have a couple in my collection and sometime I even use them...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #49 on: 13 September 2016, 14:09:33 »

Possible an option that would allow one to make the original Orion, with its 37 shots of the SRM-4.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 14 September 2016, 21:48:02 »
Then again we did get TRO:3058 which put on its 7 league boots and strode firmly into Munchkin territory with things like the Thunder hawk, Pillager, Maelstrom, Shootist Dragon Fire etc :p

Honestly I prefer mech's to be quirky and have flaws.  Sure you can get some real dogs eggs come out that just make you tilt your head and go "Whyyyyyyyyyyy...." but you take the good with the bad.

Sadly, you never get to really see those less fortunate designs, as almost everyone chooses something more optimal ......
One of the reasons I prefer random allocation, over choosing to a point limit.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #51 on: 15 September 2016, 16:54:30 »
I've always been a fan of mixed. Randomly roll anywhere from 1/3 to 3/4 and then fill to point total. You get even forces and you still get the goofballs. You can also make it a less dysfunctional force.

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 05 October 2016, 20:09:19 »
Sorry, I'm a few weeks late to the party; work has been destroying me. Wanted to chime in as the Hercules is a favorite of mine, though.

As an aside, the ANV-3M is not a 'total failure.' It's kind of bad, but it's playable. FWL has worse. Far worse. And the ANV-3R on the other hand is one of our best machines in its mission role.

The Hercules is one of our best overall machines, however. For a relatively low BV cost, you get a mobile attacker that can put up a passable fight at any range. It can go tank hunting or VTOL hunting with the LB AC. The Medium Pulse laser gives it something for dealing with faster units. It is by no means great at any of these roles, but it has something for almost any occasion. Combine this with passable armor and 5/8 movement, and you have basically a more mobile Albatross. It definitely should be one of the first things you consider in a FWL force (This doesn't mean every FWL force needs a Hercules, but you should ask "what reasons do I have for not fielding one"). While the Hercules will never be a star player that strikes fear into opponents, it will immediately cover several tasks in a single Mech. From there, you can build the rest of the team as you like.

The Ultra AC refits teased in the recent TRO books seem like they miss the point of the unit, and I do not expect to like them terribly much. If you want a mobile 'big AC gun' platform, we have the Shockwave and its RAC/5. Admittedly not quite functionally identical, but close enough in my experience.

Register