Author Topic: Curious - can you Refusal a Safcon?  (Read 6659 times)

Nerhesi

• Corporal
Curious - can you Refusal a Safcon?
« on: 24 April 2011, 23:07:29 »
Lets say as a Raven with superior naval forces, I do not want your <insert almost any other clan> ground-poundingly-superior buttocks landing unmolested, it is perfectly within my right to challenge Safcon?

Or must Safcon be accepted in the first place and not a guaranteed thing when asked for?

Thanks,

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
Re: Curious - can you Refusal a Safcon?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2011, 23:31:07 »
Safcon must be offered by the defender or requested by the attacker.

It is almost always granted by unspoken assent by both parties; if, as a Raven you're in trouble against an elite ground force from another Clan, you can simply bid a Point of ASFs, or your WarShip, or a game of chess, or whatever for the Trial.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Nerhesi

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2011, 00:01:46 »
Safcon must be offered by the defender or requested by the attacker.

It is almost always granted by unspoken assent by both parties; if, as a Raven you're in trouble against an elite ground force from another Clan, you can simply bid a Point of ASFs, or your WarShip, or a game of chess, or whatever for the Trial.

Thanks.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2011, 00:51:03 »
Also, while Safcon can be requested by the attacker, or offered by the Defender, neither HAS to accept it.
If someone asks you for SafCon, you can always just say "No." It is a courtesy, not a requirement.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2011, 00:52:55 »
Remember this much: Never gamble with a Snow Raven when death is on the line
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2011, 00:53:58 »
Remember this much: Never gamble with a Snow Raven when death is on the line

And, in space, death is ALWAYS on the line...

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2011, 01:12:24 »
While you are allowed to deny safcon and blast them to pieces with a pile of WarShips, this will piss the other side off and could get you in serious trouble if you do it with any regularity so you had better have a very good reason for doing this.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2011, 01:14:52 »
While you are allowed to deny safcon and blast them to pieces with a pile of WarShips, this will piss the other side off and could get you in serious trouble if you do it with any regularity so you had better have a very good reason for doing this.

The Cobras apparently do it fairly often in the Tanite Worlds..remmeber, no-one who goes there other then Cobras and Adders ever comes back...

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2011, 01:49:08 »
The Cobras apparently do it fairly often in the Tanite Worlds..remmeber, no-one who goes there other then Cobras and Adders ever comes back...

True, but that situation is a little different from the Ravens shooting up some random DropShips on their way to try to take a factory in the heart of Clan space.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2011, 04:03:17 »
True, but that situation is a little different from the Ravens shooting up some random DropShips on their way to try to take a factory in the heart of Clan space.

Is it really? It is stilla Clan Holding, so it should, really, be pretty much the same.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2011, 04:17:27 »
I guess it depends on the value of the prize.

It is incumbent on the defender to station a force in keeping with the worth of it to keep it safe; the Cloud Cobras regard it as a vast prize, and anyone who wishes to take it from them must make their attack accordingly.

So far, nobody has been curious enough to find out what's happening there; it obviously holds little or no actual material or military value, because otherwise the Cobras would have a force larger than they do possess. As such, few can be bothered to investigate.

Something is probably going on out there, but I'd expect it to be related to the Dark Caste or be library/hermit worlds rather than anything the other Clans would see as immediately useful any way.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

AnubisZombie

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2011, 05:56:03 »
From the various tidbits I get the impression that the Ravens ignore Safcon as a matter of course and every1 pretty much accepts that. To the point were using the word Safcon and "Snow Raven" in the same sentence in a clan briefing room would first evoke milk exiting nose levels of laughter. To be followed by calls for a brain scan.

The fact that they can get away with this probably relies heavily on the fact that they hold all the big ship yards and do allot of the Clan wide warship maintenance. If not for that fact then yeah they'd probably get called out on popping droppers with warships. As it stands before they got run out of Clan space all you'd accomplish calling them on it, in the clan council, is suddenly finding your Clan lacking in places to repair your mysteriously-newly battle damaged precious few SL warships.

As far as Safcon with any1 who is not SR it seems as long as you're not IS or "THE" rival clan than you're pretty much good.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2011, 08:14:31 »
Is it really? It is stilla Clan Holding, so it should, really, be pretty much the same.

I was mostly thinking in terms of visibility/accessibility.  People might get frustrated by what happens over in the Tanite Worlds, but it would be less obvious than if the Ravens blasted DropShips above a planet like Strana Mechty.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2011, 11:01:50 »
I was mostly thinking in terms of visibility/accessibility.  People might get frustrated by what happens over in the Tanite Worlds, but it would be less obvious than if the Ravens blasted DropShips above a planet like Strana Mechty.

Which only has Honour Holdings, anyway...I do not think anyone would care if you made the habit of blasting dropships,
though, over your own worlds, especially if you go ahead and bid your warship or local naval assets in the defense, and then
refuse SafCon. If the people who challenged you raise a stink..well, they bloody well knew what they were getting into. They chose
to ignore it.

Krieghund

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2011, 11:18:34 »
I don't know about the Ravens auto declining safcon. While yes the Vipers didn't even request it, the Falcons were granted it when asked. I think it's about who the Ravens respect and who they don't.
It is rumored Khan Pryde shot the first scientist she saw after laughing nonstop for ten minutes.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2011, 11:50:09 »
Best example of how much to expect safcon if from the Mercer-class DropShip's fluff - it was designed by the Vipers to counter the Ravens - although not sure how it would counter a WarShip or six...
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2011, 13:04:24 »
Just because a group is refusing safcon doesn't mean the warships will necessarily come out to play anyway. I can see for example both Cloud Cobra and Snow Raven using their aerospace forces to contest any dropship landings. Though of course those same fighters can be used against ground forces just as effectively.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2011, 13:19:13 »
((CAW CAW!))

A Raven here ;) Although we Ravens talk about Orbital Bombardments all the time, this does not mean that we do not have honor or respect the other Clans.

My personal opinion of Safcon is that most of the time. I grant it. I think Stormfury and Akalabeth really nailed it on the head about customs of minor trials over non-threatening endeavors. But when someone shows up on your doorstep with an invasion force like the Vipers did when they came to Lum, that is a different story. They did not come to Lum to play nice and we had no intentions of letting them pretend to follow customs until after they had a chance to land and we could no longer deny them Safcon.

In the RP I usually do, most people do not come to trail for the Lum facilities because they know they will face a defensive naval or ASF battle. They usually come for training or negotiations for supplies, repairs and to build new forces. I believe that is why we are considered a "Merchant Factor". Whatever happens in the homeworlds during the future, I doubt Safcon will be granted anywhere, at least that's what it sounds like from the horror stories :P
« Last Edit: 25 April 2011, 13:20:49 by Fatebringer »

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2011, 22:26:53 »
I thought it was the Cobras who always leave their "deny safcon" setting checked?

Or maybe that default setting is common to all small-ground-forces-but-large-aerospace-arm Clans...?

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Nerhesi

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2011, 04:18:09 »
Late response I know and it seems that safecon may or may not be granted to part of the force only?

Example, Total War - the fiction regarding the thrice-defeated Raven Aerospace pilot.  He mentions Safecon was granted to the warship but the dropships were fair game.   This is the large-beginning-of-chapter-fiction with half-page raven symbol.  Beginning of aerospace combat I think...

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 07 May 2011, 05:01:57 »
you can, but why would you risk the warriors before they can fight, unless you are Clan Snow Raven.......
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Nerhesi

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 08 May 2011, 10:59:45 »
you can, but why would you risk the warriors before they can fight, unless you are Clan Snow Raven.......

Excellent point, and so:

Remove mechwarrior genes from any warrior breeding pool? expand Naval and Aerospace lines? Should anything actually make planet-fall deal with via disposable ground forces or add aerospace fighters to bid and bomb the crap out of it.

Of course - I've just happened upon another piece of info.  Field Manual Updates Steel Viper section where the steel vipers stated "we didn't ask for safecon and the ravens wouldnt have granted it anyways" - I'm pretty sure this was in reference to their attack on Lum

Kern

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 08 May 2011, 12:58:41 »
I think the vipers and the ravens are a very special case though. You can't base the Ravens usual morales off their interactions with vipers. Vipers are bad bad people. :P
The Scorpion shall rise again!

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 08 May 2011, 13:02:17 »
Vipers are bad bad people. :P

Bullies, really. Tremendously mean.  :-[

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #24 on: 08 May 2011, 23:03:59 »
Bullies, really. Tremendously mean.  :-[
Well, their heart is in the right place.

Which is, of course, in a Falcon's talon  ;D

But seriously, I think the Vipers are a tad misunderstood.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #25 on: 09 May 2011, 15:37:12 »
But seriously, I think the Vipers are a tad misunderstood.

Crazy people tend to be misunderstood.  ;D

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 09 May 2011, 16:20:03 »
Crazy people tend to be misunderstood.  ;D

Yeah, poor Hitler. ;D