Author Topic: Alternate TRO Clan Invasion art  (Read 4207 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Alternate TRO Clan Invasion art
« on: 21 August 2018, 16:00:33 »
On the TRO Clan Invasion someone complained that three Invading Clan Omnis (Black Lanner, Phantom & Pouncer) had bad art in the TRO, but if it followed in TRO SW's footsteps it would not have new art or description/fluff for the mechs.  Some folks have also complained about the Naga's looks.  I know alternate art from sourcebooks or books covers exists for some of the four, what image would you use for the supposed 'uglies?'

On the flipside, we have a LOT of art with Dire Wolves, Warhawks, Timberwolves, Summoners, Hellbringers, Mad Dogs, Stormcrows, and Novas . . . what would be your opinion of the best images from past books (or covers) for those?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Alternate TRO Clan Invasion art
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2018, 22:06:49 »
I actually LOVE the art of the Naga, such that it is one of my favourite Clan Omnis.

BUT.

I take the images from the TCCG.

better proportions, IMO.

This one is the best;

Big, THICC legs; so you know it's a support design. Small, but somehow predatory cockpit; so you know it's BIG

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2018, 02:56:51 »
The Naga is actually one of the few post-TRO3050 Clan Mechs that I like.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2018, 09:19:31 »
Well, I think the angle on the Linebacker causes some problems which is why I recall its art in another book that IMO gave a better perspective.

I wonder if they have access to the CCG art, as I understand it was made under someone else.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2018, 04:29:18 »
The Naga is on a standardized set of Omni legs. See Gargoyle and Executioner.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2018, 09:31:18 »
I dig those legs on the mini but just wish they were taller

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2018, 21:19:27 »
The Naga is on a standardized set of Omni legs. See Gargoyle and Executioner.

Well...Sometimes it is, anyways.

Like sometimes the Sunder uses those same legs and sometimes leg units developed from the Hellbringer/Summoner.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2018, 09:12:22 »
Not enough fixing requests for my least favorite, so I'll join in.

THE PHANTOM SUCKS.

I love the Mech itself, it's actually a fun little annoyance- and I say that as a fan of their usual target-Clan, I've seen enough Phantoms to have a healthy respect for the design as it is on a record sheet. (Especially the C!) But the actual art? Nope. No. Never. #neverphantom
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2018, 15:55:02 »

THE PHANTOM SUCKS.

I love the Mech itself, it's actually a fun little annoyance- and I say that as a fan of their usual target-Clan, I've seen enough Phantoms to have a healthy respect for the design as it is on a record sheet. (Especially the C!) But the actual art? Nope. No. Never. #neverphantom

This is a stupid little tangent, but since I got into the setting first through the card game, and the Phantom Prime was a common card, and I think it's Clan Unaffiliated, I remember thinking that it must be a really common Mech everyone has.  Then I started getting into the rest of the setting and kinda forgetting that the Mech exists, unlike, say, the Linebacker or the Naga.  It's actually weird how the card game did color my initial perceptions of what Mechs are REALLY common and what Mechs aren't.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2018, 16:15:56 »

THE PHANTOM SUCKS.

i don;t know.. the current TRo art from 3055U isn't too bad.

but agree that the old TRo art and the CCG art didn't really do it much justice.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2018, 01:22:01 »
Plog did a lot to help with the Phantom but he had to base it on the model etc, so you're stuck with a brutally ugly Mech. The Phantom should be sleek angular,  speedy looking. Not a dumpster truck on legs.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2018, 02:32:55 »
Does the Phantom actually have a miniature? Never thought to look it up, and never seen anyone actually play one. ???

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2018, 03:31:05 »
It does . . . and its not the prettiest . . . I mean, its got a shellback and stilty legs.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2018, 13:40:31 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2018, 15:02:23 »
O
M
G

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2018, 15:34:22 »
Yeah, the standing pose makes it pretty bad . . .
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2018, 09:10:17 »
To be fair, that paint scheme ridiculously highlights the issue.  It looks fine (if boring monopose) in a scheme that blends better. 
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #17 on: 20 September 2018, 11:55:48 »
To be fair, that paint scheme ridiculously highlights the issue.  It looks fine (if boring monopose) in a scheme that blends better.
There is no paint scheme that could fixed those horrible physical proportions.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 20 September 2018, 12:19:43 »
I think the Kodiak and Grizzly look a lot better in the booklet that came with Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy, than they do in TRO 3058
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2018, 13:42:05 »
Plog did a lot to help with the Phantom but he had to base it on the model etc, so you're stuck with a brutally ugly Mech. The Phantom should be sleek angular,  speedy looking. Not a dumpster truck on legs.
Agreed. A far more aerodynamically designed. Somewhat like the Wraith, imho.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 20 September 2018, 13:48:12 »
I think the Kodiak and Grizzly look a lot better in the booklet that came with Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy, than they do in TRO 3058

Do you have that?  I honestly have not looked at it in a while, I have the MW2 guide.
Colt Ward

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2018, 13:54:43 »
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2018, 14:11:25 »
While that may not be the TRO art, I am pretty sure that is the art from Invading Clans SB.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2018, 16:31:20 »
While that may not be the TRO art, I am pretty sure that is the art from Invading Clans SB.

It is from a FASA product - the Clan Wolf sourcebook

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2018, 19:13:29 »
It is from a FASA product - the Clan Wolf sourcebook

No, I'm pretty sure Colt is right...those images of the Kodiak and the Grizzly were used in the Invading Clans sourcebook, not the Clan Wolf sourcebook...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #25 on: 20 September 2018, 22:49:04 »
Invading Clans

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #26 on: 22 September 2018, 09:26:59 »
The legs on that version of the Kodiak seem a little short to me.  Or maybe the arms too long?  Something about the proportions seem off to me.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #27 on: 22 September 2018, 09:39:43 »
The legs on that version of the Kodiak seem a little short to me.  Or maybe the arms too long?  Something about the proportions seem off to me.
It is the funhouse mirror version of a kodiak.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 22 September 2018, 10:06:31 »
That and the only joints in that picture that should work are the fingers and the knees.  Normally that kind of thing bugs me more.  While I respect the time and energy Duane Loose had put in over the years, I wasn't a huge fan of his work.  This version seems "cleaner..."  That's not the right word.  There are plenty of panels and greebles.  The pose is static.  May the TRO 3058 art is too dynamic.  The profile shot doesn't give you a sense of the shape of the mech, or what it's carrying.  The totemic nature is almost unnoticeable, and stacking the 4th ermlas under the other three like that just bugs me.

When I saw this version in the book from GBL... Well there may or may not have been some squeeing.... :-[

Register