Author Topic: Dumb PC case/motherboard question  (Read 1317 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Dumb PC case/motherboard question
« on: 19 January 2019, 11:43:04 »
I have a Silverstone HTPC case with a power and reset button. Is there a way, using Windows 10, to emulate laptop like behavior where one commonly presses the power button to signal sleep or hibernation whereas a press-and-hold-5-sec sends a power down signal? Or is that just not possible?

edit: I don't *need* to do this, I'm just working around some configuration settings and got curious when I saw the W10 advanced power settings which only have a single option for a power button press.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2019, 11:46:31 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Dumb PC case/motherboard question
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2019, 13:43:10 »
Yes there is a way to do this.

In the power options click on "Change when the computer sleeps".

On the new screen click on "Change Advanced Power settings"

In the new window there will be a bunch of expandable options, one should be "Power button and lid", expanding that should give a Power button expandable option which should reveal "Setting: Shutdown".  Click on "Shutdown" and you should get a drop down list of alternate actions including "Sleep".

Hope that helps.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2019, 13:53:13 »
Yes there is a way to do this.

In the power options click on "Change when the computer sleeps".

On the new screen click on "Change Advanced Power settings"

In the new window there will be a bunch of expandable options, one should be "Power button and lid", expanding that should give a Power button expandable option which should reveal "Setting: Shutdown".  Click on "Shutdown" and you should get a drop down list of alternate actions including "Sleep".

Hope that helps.

That's not exactly what I was getting at, though I appreciate the pointer. Laptop power buttons are two-mode. It's possible to a) make a single press of the button that sends the laptop to sleep and b) press-and-hold the power button which sends a different command to power down the system. I'm trying to verify that this is not a possible function in a regular PC installation. It appears so (I can change that setting from either sleep or shutdown, but not a dual-mode option), but I'm not completely sure.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2019, 14:45:18 »
It might be possible in the BIOS settings. Might want to consult the great oracle though (tech manual for laptop).

Usually within the BIOS of most mobos there is a section for how the power button works as well as other power on options. It will really depends on the particular BIOS though.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2019, 14:49:13 »
I think it may also depend on the switch.  I bet that the settings not being there in Win10 means the switch doesn't support that functionality.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2019, 15:15:09 »
I think it may also depend on the switch.  I bet that the settings not being there in Win10 means the switch doesn't support that functionality.

That's basically what I figure. The switch circuitry is your basic pin/lead configuration. I have no idea how it's detected on the motherboard. And because W10 isn't offering the option, I'm assuming that it doesn't exist.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2019, 16:11:11 »
The procedure I outlined will give the results desired on my system(hold down to power off but a quick press to only sleep).

I can't remember who made my tower but it does have a separate reset and power switch.

But yes BIOS settings are important to verify as well as they do seem to override Windows settings for power button behavior.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2019, 16:14:59 by monbvol »

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2019, 03:58:24 »
I'm not 100% certain but I am 90% certain that on most modern systems, if you set the power tap to trigger sleep mode then pressing and holding the power button it goes to poweroff.

essentially you are only overriding the behavior of a "tap" of the power button.

with most power buttons there is a power and ground connection and pressing the power button essentially shorts the power lead to ground and pulls that circuit down. so the default behavior cause the motherboard when it senses the low on the "power switch pin" it sends a signal back to the power supply to turn off the power.

Edit
I did some more research, and the default standard is that the power and reset switches are normally just basic MOM switches which means that they are normally open, meaning the "plus side" of  the power switch connectors is floating at a "high level" typically 3.3 or 5 v depending on the system. when you press the button it pulls it low until the button is released.

so if the default behavior (in the os and or bios) is to trigger a power on/off when the button is pressed, then by changing it to a sleep and power off if held you are changing the desired behavior.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2019, 16:55:51 by guardiandashi »

Register