Author Topic: Weapons in a Tail..  (Read 1627 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Weapons in a Tail..
« on: 16 June 2020, 02:14:14 »
I reminded myself of
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54210.msg1249660#msg1249660
from back in 2016, about what would a mech look like/opearate as, with a tail (kind of like what scorpions do)..

And was thinking.  IF A weapon was placed IN said tail, what would it's fire arc be?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: Weapons in a Tail..
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2020, 03:26:52 »
...I think I reasoned this out at some point in the past, but it didn't make to my AU project 'Unique Technology' chapter for some reason.  I'll try to find the original notebook, but my kids think daddy's books are there to play with and rip up for confetti, so I can't promise anything.

If I remember right, it used either the center or side torso to mount another arm, basically.  I had calculated IS weight for a single arm (Leg from a quad of the same tonnage?), and used Arm crits (Shoulder and upper arm, or Shoulder, upper arm, and lower arm).  Firing arc was the rear arc but longer arms with more crits could use roughly the same arc as L/R.  Given the impossibility of it all, it was energy weapon only.  The 'tail' didn't give any benefit to moving in water as it was already absurd.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2020, 02:42:21 »
As Garhkal mentioned, it really depends on its construction. 

Scorpion tails are rather long and curved to attack forward, so could be configured for either a forward arc from the CT or could be set up to fire to the rear arc as well, kind of like arms with no lower Arm Actuators.

However, smaller tails like the Shadow Fox's net of Zoids Century, would be rear-facing only due to the lack of flexibility and length to reach over the torso properly.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2020, 03:14:12 »
A fellow ZOIDS fan...

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2020, 08:50:00 »
Well, these are simply built as quad turrets...

I figure the Shadow Fox's tail gun could just be a rear mount.

It's really only melee attacks that NEED house rules.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2020, 13:36:27 »
A fellow ZOIDS fan...

Mostly Chaotic Century, I can't get in to anything once the Fuzors start showing up.  Give me classics like the Blade Lion and Genosaurer, any day.

Now the Iron Kongs would be a hard one to build, or even the Blade Lion...
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2020, 15:31:54 »
For me, classic zoid time frame, would be that shown in the ZOID Comics, in the late 80s- early 90s..

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2020, 17:28:42 »
Mostly Chaotic Century, I can't get in to anything once the Fuzors start showing up.  Give me classics like the Blade Lion and Genosaurer, any day.

Now the Iron Kongs would be a hard one to build, or even the Blade Lion...
IIRC there's a thread about biped/quad transforming mechs somewhere. That should be all that's needed for the Iron Kong? Blade Liger- illegal quirk to put lances on a quad?

Register