Author Topic: create a mechwarrior for a battletech group  (Read 1518 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
create a mechwarrior for a battletech group
« on: 10 October 2020, 18:37:52 »
Back in the 90's my battletech group would play with a rotating gamemaster.  We the players would have a mechwarrior created by the rules of Mechwarrior II (I think) and by playing the game with your character's back story and skills you could improve your character and if you ran the next game as the game master than your character wasn't involved.

So, does "A Time for War" have a nice system where we can convert the character into a battlemech pilot using six sided dice or will I be using 10 sided dice and I will have to adjust the battletech modifiers. 
Second, does A Time for War have a some nice additions or flair where maybe your pilot could have natural aptitude missiles as a skill.

Thank you

Maelwys

• Major
Re: create a mechwarrior for a battletech group
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2020, 19:06:40 »
ATOW converts to BT via simple subtraction. The only squirrely bit is that some modifiers in ATOW don't translate to the board game, like having a high enough RFL/DEX. You basically take whatever your target number is for the skill and subtract the level of skill, and that's your BT skill.

ATOW has several flares.

The first are simple Traits which are things like Connections or Fit or Natural Aptitude. Some of these can affect game play depending on how far you want to take it.

There are also things called Special Pilot Abilities which are specialized things like Sniper which reduces ranged penalties and fist fire which allow you to fire one weapon in an arm when you use that arm to punch.

Register