Author Topic: Light Rotary Autocannons  (Read 5384 times)

Darkness12

• Sergeant
Light Rotary Autocannons
« on: 25 May 2011, 16:29:56 »
So I was thinking of designing some new RAC's which are abit more lighter then the current ones whats everyone's take on it? also feel free to suggest stats etc etc. So what do you think of the idea and what would you take be on it.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
Re: Light Rotary Autocannons
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2011, 16:36:21 »
Sounds unlikely, imo, since the very existance of rotary autocannons is dependant on the weight-saving techniques used to make the LACs. (Ref. TechManual page 207)

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Darkness12

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2011, 16:41:50 »
I don't have TM's or nay CBT books But I can understand from the likelihood perspective however like you said unlikely which means there is a slight chance it can be done to some degree.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2011, 04:10:31 »
Well, clantech is usually lighter/smaller.
Except that the clan RAC's are bulkier...
So the only way to make it lighter would be to make better use of clan weight-saving techniques.
Which the clans failed at.
Then again, the clans aren't much for innovation.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2011, 14:04:49 »
Rotary autocannons are canonically pretty much already built using light AC tech. Possibly even actually using some of the same parts -- it may be coincidence that an RAC weighs exactly twice as much as an LAC of the same caliber while sharing the exact same range brackets, but then again maybe not. ;)

As such, I'd say they're as light as canon tech at least is going to manage for the foreseeable future.

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2011, 19:09:24 »
Sounds unlikely, imo, since the very existance of rotary autocannons is dependant on the weight-saving techniques used to make the LACs. (Ref. TechManual page 207)

There was some parallel developement, but, as the LACs are not available until after the RACs,  a light version might still be possible.  However, the LRACs would lose the LACs ability to fire specialty ammo and have an even shorter range.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Darkness12

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2011, 15:41:50 »
Could one of you make them into .dat files for me so I could use them I am not good at making them for SSW tbh.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2011, 19:13:55 »
RACs are already pretty light for there damage potential compared to other autocannons.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2011, 11:58:42 »

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2011, 19:36:06 »
Hmm. If RACs are made with the tech that allows LACs, then if the Clans don't have it, their own RACs would be bulkier, even if the weight is the same.

Right? Wrong? Lobster?

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2011, 19:46:58 »
Hmm. If RACs are made with the tech that allows LACs, then if the Clans don't have it, their own RACs would be bulkier, even if the weight is the same.

Right? Wrong? Lobster?

Their RACs are indeed bulkier.  This response was bought to you by Citizen Snips
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2011, 07:20:07 »
Right? Wrong? Lobster?
Neko in a dress, ofcourse.
And does anyone know the exact reason why the clan versions are bulkier?

Feign

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 17 June 2011, 07:48:19 »
Neko in a dress, ofcourse.
And does anyone know the exact reason why the clan versions are bulkier?
On a guess, Clans don't have Light AC technology, note the ranges of the guns...  The IS RACs use the Light AC range profiles, whereas the Clan RACs use the full-sized range profiles.  Just an observation.
All that is born dies,
All that is planned fails,
All that is built crumbles,
But memories continue on,
And that is beautiful.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 17 June 2011, 10:03:20 »
Sarna.net shows both Clan and IS having the same range profiles for their RAC. The only difference is that the Clan RAC takes up more crit slots.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2011, 10:13:52 »
Sarna.net shows both Clan and IS having the same range profiles for their RAC. The only difference is that the Clan RAC takes up more crit slots.

Tactical Operations p. 404 would beg to differ. Clan RAC/2, range profile -/8/17/25; Clan RAC/5, -/7/14/21. The latter matches the Clan UAC/5, the former is a bit shorter than the UAC/2 (but matches the Inner Sphere light Gauss except for having no minimum range).

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2011, 10:39:41 »
That's good to know, the actual books are a much better source than Sarna, but I haven't gotten past Total Warfare yet :D

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 17 June 2011, 11:47:48 »
On a guess, Clans don't have Light AC technology, note the ranges of the guns...  The IS RACs use the Light AC range profiles, whereas the Clan RACs use the full-sized range profiles.  Just an observation.
Hm... right.
I guess the additional bulk might be worth it then.
Then again, its still an autocannon.